Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why are you using a print server? I don't get it, I guess. I just plug my printer into the wireless router (airport) and it's available. Easy Peasy. Is there something I'm missing?

Said wireless router is a print server... it's just an embedded one instead of one running on a desktop machine.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Said wireless router is a print server... it's just an embedded one instead of one running on a desktop machine.

Yeah, I'm slow with that kind of stuff. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    So whom here does ALL their processing on a macbook pro & how do you find it ?

Signed curious.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    gus wrote:

Signed curious.

Gus, I don't do all on it, but I'll throw this in: the problem with a MBP display is the opposite of the glossy iMac. It's not as rich and poppy. If you get a calibrator it will be pretty close as far as color balance, in my experience, but you'll have to get used to the difference in saturation and pop that will be missing in it. You may tend to overdo things because of that if you're not careful.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    gus wrote:

Signed curious.

Currently (as I save up for a large LCD display) I do all my processing on a tiny 15" MBP. The screen is definately smaller than I would ideally like for all situations, but its fine for most of the stuff I do.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Tks guys.

TO...the apple.au site says i can get the 17" in glossy. I like glossy (i know a lot dont) is there something im not seeing here ?

Also another for you. What do they mean with the bit about for an extra $150 i can get the glossy in High Res ? Is it worth the $150 extra ?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Gus, get the glossy. It might actually help offset the shortcomings of a laptop display. No guaranteeds, though.

The rez, Apple says this:
    apple.com wrote:
    By upgrading the display resolution to 1920 x 1200 pixels, you'll enjoy a workspace with 30% more pixels than the standard model, or as many pixels as the 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display. You'll have more space for palettes and windows, and you can watch 1080 HD video content at full resolution.

I'd say it's up to you. 30% more space is cool, but then all it's doing is making everything smaller, so you have to decide for yourself. I have a friend with the 17" reg display, says he wouldn't, he likes the normal rez.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    BTW, Gus, I can see why you've hesitated. Talk about paying a premium for not living in the US. That is really expensive over there!eek7.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    BTW, Gus, I can see why you've hesitated. Talk about paying a premium for not living in the US. That is really expensive over there!eek7.gif
    I told you mac was as dear as poison here !! Considering our $ is currently very close to yours.

Juicy sweet mangoes are growing free on the roadside though ...sort of makes up for it some what.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I told you mac was as dear as poison here !! Considering our $ is currently very close to yours.

Juicy sweet mangoes are growing free on the roadside though ...sort of makes up for it some what.

Yeah, you're paying an extra $700USD, roughly.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Egggzacly.

I'm in no hurry.
    Just installed Leopard (upgrade, no archive & install) on my Macbook Pro 17", not a single problem. Piece o' cake.

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Just installed Leopard (upgrade, no archive & install) on my Macbook Pro 17", not a single problem. Piece o' cake.

clap.gif
    Aaaaaaaaaaand just installed it on my Mac Pro, upgraded, no archive & install, not a single problem. Piece o' cake X2.

Thank you, Sir Steve bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Now off to do AndyKid's Mac Mini and AndyWife's Powerbook G4. This is so easy even a button pushing monkey can do it. I shudder to think about the hassles of doing this sort of upgrade in the olde Winders days lol3.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    gus wrote:

PowerBook G4, but I love it. I'm sure that I could get better colors using a "real" monitor and a calibrator, but the tips I've found here (skin tone, etc) have helped me get pretty good stuff.

on the whole "upgrading to Leopard" topic, here's an article from a guy I trust: http://daringfireball.net/2007/10/murphys_law
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Aaaaaaaaaaand just installed it on my Mac Pro, upgraded, no archive & install, not a single problem. Piece o' cake X2.

Thank you, Sir Steve bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Now off to do AndyKid's Mac Mini and AndyWife's Powerbook G4. This is so easy even a button pushing monkey can do it. I shudder to think about the hassles of doing this sort of upgrade in the olde Winders days lol3.gif
    Mac Mini done... 3 installs, no problemo.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Mac Mini done... 3 installs, no problemo.
    rolleyes1.gif What next ....the cat will be walkin' funny ?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, you're paying an extra $700USD, roughly.

yeah...crazy isnt it ? You can soon see what happens when you add CS3 & another few gigs generic ram what would happen to the price...a $5k laptop.

I do want a mac though...seeing what everyone did on them at glacier sealed it for me. The interfaces were just so so smooth & nice. My accountant is giving me some grief over the purchase though. My plan is to get her drunk tonight & get a signature before she knows whats going on.

How upgradable is a macbook pro ? I mean how much ram will a new one handle & can i upgrade the processor in 2 years time ?

Speaking of Glacier & macs...anyone got that photo of everyone sitting down in the bar room with all the macs ? I even got one handed to me to seal the photo.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    gus wrote:
    My accountant is giving me some grief over the purchase though. My plan is to get her drunk tonight & get a signature before she knows whats going on.

Hmm...were you talking to this cartoonist a couple of days ago?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Hmm...were you talking to this cartoonist a couple of days ago?
    yeeeep !
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    gus wrote:
    How upgradable is a macbook pro ? I mean how much ram will a new one handle & can i upgrade the processor in 2 years time ?

RAM - up to 4GB, installation time 1 minute, user upgrades OK under warranty

Hard drive - moderate difficulty if good with tools, voids warranty

CPU - not upgradeable

Video card - not upgradeable
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'd say it's up to you. 30% more space is cool, but then all it's doing is making everything smaller, so you have to decide for yourself. I have a friend with the 17" reg display, says he wouldn't, he likes the normal rez.

It's not "more space" so much as it is "finer grain". With resolution independence in Leopard, things should not be smaller any more. They should be the same size, just crisper. I've seen the high res display with Panther, and were I in the market for a MBP right now, I'd go for the higher res screen in a heartbeat.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    RAM - up to 4GB, installation time 1 minute, user upgrades OK under warranty

Hard drive - moderate difficulty if good with tools, voids warranty

CPU - not upgradeable

Video card - not upgradeable
    ta mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Now off to do AndyWife's Powerbook G4.
    All done here, 4 different Macs, no problems with any install. The last one was my wife's Powerbook G4. Just finished that one thumb.gif

So nice....
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    It's not "more space" so much as it is "finer grain". With resolution independence in Leopard, things should not be smaller any more. They should be the same size, just crisper. I've seen the high res display with Panther, and were I in the market for a MBP right now, I'd go for the higher res screen in a heartbeat.

Is there truly resolution independence in Leopard? I don't believe that ended up in the final release, and I'm not finding it. ne_nau.gif

(Although I wouldn't know what to look for, exactly)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    Just installed Leopard on my Mac Pro, had a few problems, now resolved.

After what seemed a successful install the machine would boot and get to the desktop but with only a mouse pointer and nothing else.

Had a look around and found the problem seemed to lie with those that had installed Application Enhancer, but I hadn't or so I thought.

I started up in target disk mode with my G5 and found there were indeed some Application Enhancer files on my drive even though I'd never knowingly installed it, turns out it was installed by Logitech when I set up my Laser Mouse (cheeky sods.)

Anyway I removed the offending files, rebooted and everything's fine.

Here's a link to one site with the required process:-

Remove application enhancer files

Momentarily reminded of my Windows days, but apportioning full blame to a third party mwink.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Is there truly resolution independence in Leopard? I don't believe that ended up in the final release, and I'm not finding it. ne_nau.gif

(Although I wouldn't know what to look for, exactly)

I will tell you this: I change the resolution of my display, and the effective area of it does change.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Reports are it is the same as Tiger: present in the OS, not promoted, possibly not finished, not really used by any apps (including Apple's), accessible only by developer tools.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    My wife must've thought I've been looking at pr0n all day long, I've been having multiple Apple-gasms lol3.gif

Seriously, it's so good, one cool thing after another :D

Coverflow iloveyou.gif - Spaces - Improved iChat & networking - Time Machine - Quick Look and more
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    Reports are it is the same as Tiger: present in the OS, not promoted, possibly not finished, not really used by any apps (including Apple's), accessible only by developer tools.

It doesn't really make sense until there are 200 DPI displays available ;-)
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

On that note, however, the two links I posted above contradict each other about the stability of Leopard. One says it was released too early, the other says the opposite, that it's very stable and mature. I'm willing to see for myself. But waiting makes sense, too. My work system certainly isn't going to be upgraded right away, but that's not my call, anyway. I leave that to the tech department here who have much larger issues at hand than just my one computer. :D

Okay, so 3 little notes that are about as close to you'll get to the absolute truth on the subject:

1) Leopard is quite stable. I'd say it's at *least* as stable as 10.4.10, probably a fair bit more. It's been through the wringer for quite a while. And there are some really snazzy tools like Dtrace (and the GUI for it, Instruments) which can really help with testing, leak detection, etc that Leopard was built with.

2) No software ever ships without bugs. Software as complex as an OS has lots of bugs (some more serious than others). If it was held to fix 100% of all bugs, then no software would ever ship. Decisions have to be made based on what bugs are "showstoppers" (i.e. will block shipment).

3) There are numerous 3rd party application and "tweaks" (a.k.a. "haxies") that will either not work, not work 100%, or destabilize the OS itself. Since no developers (or very, very few!) had the GM of Leopard before yesterday, these take time to get fixed. This is by far where the largest number of issues will be found -- some of your bread and butter apps won't work (yet). And probably the best reason to wait a few weeks before upgrading -- to let other people take the bullets for you. From a photography perspective, for me, LR 1.2 cannot change to the Print module, and there are no drivers for my Epson 3800 Pro printer. So I can't print on Leopard right now. If I made a living from that... upgrading would cost me money. But I don't, so it's just an inconvenience (and I can dual boot back to Tiger if I want to print).

The good thing on #3 is that the Mac developer community tends to be *hugely* responsive to OS upgrades. Like 90% of these things are ironed out within 2 weeks.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2007
    I had one problem after an archive/intsall: I had a font conflict, and had to remove Helvetica Narrow. Once removed, all is good.

Things that I wish worked, but I have to wait for updates that are compatible with Leopard: Pith Helmet and SAFT.

All else seems to be good. My new love, Text Expander is working just fine! iloveyou.gif
    Moderator Emeritus