Options

It's official - I'm partial to B&W... (My latest shoot)

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in People
one thing I've noticed lately is that most of my favorite photos end up getting converted to b&W. Not on purpose. I just go through, edit photos, convert the ones I feel like doing and then present them to the client. Then I will go through and pick my favorites - and they're usually B&W. Not sure if that's because I'm not that great with color or what the deal is.....

Anyway, this is a new friend I met here in CB (Crested Butte) a few months ago. We've tried on several occasions to get together for a shoot, but it hasn't worked out. Finally, about 10 days ago it did. (I had a LOT of orders to edit before my 3 shoots from that weekend - this is my first.) It was a lot of fun! Her boys are about 6 months younger respectively from my girls and they were all boy! So great to photograph - they're so rambunctious and fun so shoot....

My friend
214670000-M-1.jpg

The youngest was so cute! Very smiley most of the time and just a sweetie!
214670067-M-1.jpg

The dad really wanted a shot with his dog. I have another more traditional one, but thought this was kind of interesting... Thoughts?
214670148-M-1.jpg

The oldest was all boy and so fun to shoot. Challenging, for sure, but so fun! Bummed about cropping the hat, though....
214670085-M-1.jpg

I was going for a velvia-ish look on this, but I'm not sure I like it. I may redo it before I put it online for them. (Hopefully tonight) But I really like their interaction.
214670433-M-1.jpg

The cute couple - I was *really* happy with this shot! I'm not as good at posing adults to get shots like this and really like the way it came out. It might be a little too contrasting, though, because the shirts are starting to blend together.....
214670496-M-1.jpg

214670585-M-1.jpg

"Mom!!! I need the rock!!! It's YUMMY!"
214670402-M-1.jpg

A few more can be found here: http://www.tippiepics.com/gallery/3736592

Any and all CC is ALWAYS welcome! Especially as regards conversion, cropping (everything is cropped to 5x7 for ordering, but otherwise...) and ESPECIALLY posing! (I have a few more posed photos in my gallery.)

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Andi,

I think they are all great thumb.gif

This shot however (with the exception of the leaf stem) is just flat out fantastic clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I love the tilt, comp, lighting and PP ----

214670067-M-1.jpg
    Randy
  • Options
    ShelleykShelleyk Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I agree this is my fave out of the bunch!
    You did real well, the kids are adorable!

214670067-M-1.jpg[/quote]
  • Options
    niimoniimo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I know this may not be what you want to hear.. but I highly favor the color photo. Film is very challenging to mimic, much less one of the best slide films out there! However, the beautiful contrasts of the blue jeans against the warm fall colors and and the splash of blue sky.. that would be a shame to lose!
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I LOVE the photo of the couple. I really like that you did boost up the contrast, really gives it some zing! Personally I don't mind that you cant really tell one shirt from another. I also like the one of the little boy holding the leaf. :D J.Cleveland
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    rwells wrote:
    Andi,

I think they are all great thumb.gif

This shot however (with the exception of the leaf stem) is just flat out fantastic clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I love the tilt, comp, lighting and PP ----

Thank you so much! Maybe I'm finally getting the "Lynne tilt" down! (I've always been allergic. Laughing.gif!)

Thanks so much!
    ShelleyK wrote:
    I agree this is my fave out of the bunch!
    You did real well, the kids are adorable!

Thank you! It's funny, I really liked that picture, but sometimes you never know if you're just too close to it, you know? Thanks!
    niimo wrote:
    I know this may not be what you want to hear.. but I highly favor the color photo. Film is very challenging to mimic, much less one of the best slide films out there! However, the beautiful contrasts of the blue jeans against the warm fall colors and and the splash of blue sky.. that would be a shame to lose!
    iloveyou.gif You truly made my day. I have a tendency to second guess myself when I go outside the norm. It's so nice to hear that it worked well for you! Thank you VERY much!
    I LOVE the photo of the couple. I really like that you did boost up the contrast, really gives it some zing! Personally I don't mind that you cant really tell one shirt from another. I also like the one of the little boy holding the leaf. :D J.Cleveland
    Thank you! I've been digging high contrast lately, but wasn't sure if it worked in this case! Thanks so much....
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    These are 'great' Andi. The compositions are wonderful, as are your conversions (seems like you have the same feelings on colour as I do) but I also really love the warmth in this colour shot too.

Great work!
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Nice work and a few questions.
    Andi,
    I like to feel of your photos here and the overall look you acheive. I took a look at your website and have the same consensus.

A few questions if you do not mind as I am primarily a actions sports photographer trying to learn more about people/portrait photography.

Looks like the lens you used for this session is a 70-200 2.8 correct? Is this the lens you use most often? Do you any other lenses that you use for this type of work that you use a lot of it it the 70-200?

What PP software are you using? I am using Paint Shop Pro XI which is fine for sports editing, but get the feeling I may have to chalk up the $$ for CS2 or 3 for a better people PP software.

Care to share or enlightem me a bit on the PP methods you are using - simple PP work - a few minutes per photo or do you get pretty involved in editing each photo?

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:
    These are 'great' Andi. The compositions are wonderful, as are your conversions (seems like you have the same feelings on colour as I do) but I also really love the warmth in this colour shot too.

Great work!

Thank you so much!
    Andi,
    I like to feel of your photos here and the overall look you acheive. I took a look at your website and have the same consensus.

A few questions if you do not mind as I am primarily a actions sports photographer trying to learn more about people/portrait photography.

Looks like the lens you used for this session is a 70-200 2.8 correct? Is this the lens you use most often? Do you any other lenses that you use for this type of work that you use a lot of it it the 70-200?

What PP software are you using? I am using Paint Shop Pro XI which is fine for sports editing, but get the feeling I may have to chalk up the $$ for CS2 or 3 for a better people PP software.

Care to share or enlightem me a bit on the PP methods you are using - simple PP work - a few minutes per photo or do you get pretty involved in editing each photo?

Thanks,
    Michael

Thanks, Michael!

I would say that the two lenses I use the most are the 24-70 f/2.8 (which JUST replaced my 24-105 f/4) and my 70-200 f/2.8. But my favorite lenses are the 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8. Those two are great for the really shallow DOF and bringing focus to things like eyes, fingers, feet, etc. But the first two are the best lenses to have, IMHO. (Although if you're doing shoots outside in the light, they don't need to be that fast/expensive, but those lenses are GREAT!)

But really I love to play around with lenses. I also have a super wide I'll use from time to time on kids. And I usually use that and my two primes a LOT more. This shoot (and the other two I'm editing) were a bit too fast paced for me to be switching lenses a lot, unfortunately.

As for editing, I HIGHLY recommend Lightroom. I get the most consistant color/conversions from it - by far. I use PSCS2 to do all my back end editing, but you could easily get away with PS Elements, too. (I used it for a long time.) My basic flow is this:
    • Shoot
    • Backup
    • Import into LR
    • Cull out bad photos (I give them 1's, but don't delete until after they've purchased and the gallery is archived)
    • Edit good photos/cull out more photos
    • I spend about 2-7 minutes per photo. I do basic color correction first - even if I'm converting it.
    • Then I'll do spot removal in LR. If I notice a huge amount of editing that needs to be done (like the leaf stem in the shot above), I make a note that I'll remove it when it's purchased. I almost never do any PSing before they've purchased - I've burned myself too many times on that!
    • I'll convert to B&W the photos I want to do (they know they can request any photo in a different treatment).
    • Export full rez, but lower quality images (they upload faster)
    • Turn on Proof Delay (7 days - I can always release earlier if necessary - and I usually do!)
    • Client orders
    • I fully edit those images in PS (if necessary)
    • Export
    • Replace
    • Release for printing.
    I really try to keep my time editing the first time around down to a minimum. If I can cull and edit and start exporting in less than 1.5-2 hours, I feel good about it. Some shoots are MUCH faster, others slower. But that's what they average. Post editing can really vary so I won't even take a guess at that.

Hope that helps!!! Thanks again!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Hey Andi,

I consider you and Lynne to be people from whom I can learn the art of photography - always inspiring. I usually love B&W and, in fact, I really like the treatment of the young guy with the leaf.

But .... I'm probably going to be the only major dissenter in this thread - you have been warned! :D

The rest of them - well the contrast is just too high. You've blown out most of the facial characteristics. The cheeks, for example, are just a mass of white - no detail left at all. Those where you've pulled up just short of blown/plugged are better IMO (FWIW).

That aside, the photos are great. I love the composition in all of them. I would have just processed them differently.

Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Great set as always!! I love the B&W =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I am always impressed with your photos, these are no exceptions... I just can't get over how much your photography has grown and improved over the years that I have known you... obviously there is a lot of natural talent, but you have really gotten very good at portrait!!!! Nice Job!!!! clap.gif

Oh, and thank you for teaching ME sooooo much! ;)
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Hey Andi,

I consider you and Lynne to be people from whom I can learn the art of photography - always inspiring. I usually love B&W and, in fact, I really like the treatment of the young guy with the leaf.

But .... I'm probably going to be the only major dissenter in this thread - you have been warned! :D

The rest of them - well the contrast is just too high. You've blown out most of the facial characteristics. The cheeks, for example, are just a mass of white - no detail left at all. Those where you've pulled up just short of blown/plugged are better IMO (FWIW).

That aside, the photos are great. I love the composition in all of them. I would have just processed them differently.

Thanks so much for sharing.

:cry When I said CC welcome, I really meant "tell me how awesome they are".... :cry

rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I decided to go back into LR to see what was going on. You see, I hate it when things are fully blown - I actually leave highlight clipping on most of the time to make sure I get no red patches, especially on high contrast images. Well, when I put my cursor over the brightest patches (for example, on her cheeks in the couple shot), it reads out at 96.6%. Definitely not blown. So I zoomed to see waht I could see for detail - and I can see her pores....

Since my photos have a tendency to be too dark, I've been working on lightening them up.

So I guess my actual question for you (and others) is - is this TOO light? It's definitely NOT blown, but.... is it too close? I can definitely see detail when I zoom in. Could my monitor be calibrated wrong? (I jsut calibrated it two days ago.) Or could it be yours is too bright?

I would really like to make sure I don't blow things out! That bugs me a LOT!

But thanks a TON on the compliments on the style! :D And the honest feedback that I love getting! :D
    Great set as always!! I love the B&W =)
    Thank you so much! And thanks for your thoughts on the B&W
    I am always impressed with your photos, these are no exceptions... I just can't get over how much your photography has grown and improved over the years that I have known you... obviously there is a lot of natural talent, but you have really gotten very good at portrait!!!! Nice Job!!!! clap.gif

Thank you so much, Karen! This means a lot coming from you! iloveyou.gif (You've definitely seen it from the beginning. Laughing.gif!)

Thanks!
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    k2butter wrote:

I completely agree 100%! Am I allowed to ditto? You have been a great teacher as well, Andi, I'm always awed by your talent and then to have you be so helpful is well... humbling!
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    I like the high contrast, but looking at them a second time, I think the first one is the only one that I would say is slightly too much on her face... I can see detail in the shot of the couple... is this the one you were telling me about yesterday???
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Your friend's face appears very bright on my calibrated monitor as well. The husband's face appears fine. It is entirely possible that they will be just about spot -on when printed. As you know, as long as it isn't entirely blown, the printed image will still appear a little darker than it appears on a pc monitor.

I too am partial to BW and or monochromes and duotones. The treatment you gave number 2 is fabulous. It is just timeless. I like it's composition, tilt, texture, and....you gotta love that creamy bokeh. The stem doesn't even bother me, I think it adds to the context. I like this warmth better than the starker BW treatment in the others.

The log photo isn't as high contrast as the other BW images. It is an excellent capture. I feel your pain on the portion of the hat outside the frame, but It is another timeless beautiful photograph none the less.

The last photo I will comment on is the waterside father and son. Another classic!!! I like the treatment you gave it, but am imagining it with the same treatment you gave #2.....and it looks awesome that way too!!! Very nice shot.

In all, it looks as though you had some rather harsh sunshine to work with and you did a terrific job(as if you would do otherwise) of keeping the negative aspects of this to a minimum. I only see one that looks like you may have used fill flash, so if you used it on others you also did a fine job of keeping them from looking "flashy".

Ok theres my critique.....so now you tell me. How many thousands of photos do I have to take before I can produce results like this?
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Do you have a preset you used for number 2? Just curious?!?!?! :D
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Seriously, I decided to go back into LR to see what was going on. You see, I hate it when things are fully blown - I actually leave highlight clipping on most of the time to make sure I get no red patches, especially on high contrast images. Well, when I put my cursor over the brightest patches (for example, on her cheeks in the couple shot), it reads out at 96.6%. Definitely not blown. So I zoomed to see waht I could see for detail - and I can see her pores....

Since my photos have a tendency to be too dark, I've been working on lightening them up.

So I guess my actual question for you (and others) is - is this TOO light? It's definitely NOT blown, but.... is it too close? I can definitely see detail when I zoom in. Could my monitor be calibrated wrong? (I jsut calibrated it two days ago.) Or could it be yours is too bright?

I would really like to make sure I don't blow things out! That bugs me a LOT!

But thanks a TON on the compliments on the style! :D And the honest feedback that I love getting! :D
    The monitors I used to look at them earlier today have failed me - the first time! I came home and reviewed them again and downloaded your originals (I guess you left them available for a reason?) and I have to agree with your statement above. The pictures of the lady and the one of the guy with the dog are not blown. I was wrong (Lynne, if you're reading this, you are not allowed to gloat!). Some of the background of the boys on the log is though - probably with intent.

So I take it back! Will you forgive me??? Please??bowdown.gif

And, I still like the composition and general style of the shots - they are just a bit too contrasty for my taste - I have yet to mature to that level bowdown.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    now, now children...
    Well! I have to chime in here and say that while I AGREE with Scott on the first image of the woman (her skin is not blown, but is pushed too far IMO), the others appear within range.

And quid pro quo Scott.....no gloating. :toni rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007

I consider you and Lynne to be people from whom I can learn the art of photography

Heh, but we all know who's the engineer in the bunch!!! :devbobo
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    The composition in these are great, you have captured some wonderful moments and natural expressions. I am so envious.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    I completely agree 100%! Am I allowed to ditto? You have been a great teacher as well, Andi, I'm always awed by your talent and then to have you be so helpful is well... humbling!

Thanks so much! And it's wonderful to have someone who is so willing to learn new things... Thanks you!
    I like the high contrast, but looking at them a second time, I think the first one is the only one that I would say is slightly too much on her face... I can see detail in the shot of the couple... is this the one you were telling me about yesterday???
    I think the one that I was mentioning was the couple shot in B&W here... I have such a hard time posing and I was particularly happy with it. Was that what you were talking about?

Oh, and I used a preset called New Mexico Road and then bumped the contrast on that one. I think you have it!
    The monitors I used to look at them earlier today have failed me - the first time! I came home and reviewed them again and downloaded your originals (I guess you left them available for a reason?) and I have to agree with your statement above. The pictures of the lady and the one of the guy with the dog are not blown. I was wrong (Lynne, if you're reading this, you are not allowed to gloat!). Some of the background of the boys on the log is though - probably with intent.

So I take it back! Will you forgive me??? Please??bowdown.gif

And, I still like the composition and general style of the shots - they are just a bit too contrasty for my taste - I have yet to mature to that level bowdown.gif
    eek7.gif Who ever took Scott's computer needs to give it back. There is NO WAY you got something wrong!!! (But in the case that it *is* you, I forgive you. But just this once!)

I do appreciate the feedback on your tastes... I'm about to repost a few of
    the shots in a sec that I've adjusted a bit...
    Well! I have to chime in here and say that while I AGREE with Scott on the first image of the woman (her skin is not blown, but is pushed too far IMO), the others appear within range.

And quid pro quo Scott.....no gloating. :toni rolleyes1.gif

I'll repost that in a second....
    The composition in these are great, you have captured some wonderful moments and natural expressions. I am so envious.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!!
    Your friend's face appears very bright on my calibrated monitor as well. The husband's face appears fine. It is entirely possible that they will be just about spot -on when printed. As you know, as long as it isn't entirely blown, the printed image will still appear a little darker than it appears on a pc monitor.

I too am partial to BW and or monochromes and duotones. The treatment you gave number 2 is fabulous. It is just timeless. I like it's composition, tilt, texture, and....you gotta love that creamy bokeh. The stem doesn't even bother me, I think it adds to the context. I like this warmth better than the starker BW treatment in the others.

The log photo isn't as high contrast as the other BW images. It is an excellent capture. I feel your pain on the portion of the hat outside the frame, but It is another timeless beautiful photograph none the less.

The last photo I will comment on is the waterside father and son. Another classic!!! I like the treatment you gave it, but am imagining it with the same treatment you gave #2.....and it looks awesome that way too!!! Very nice shot.

In all, it looks as though you had some rather harsh sunshine to work with and you did a terrific job(as if you would do otherwise) of keeping the negative aspects of this to a minimum. I only see one that looks like you may have used fill flash, so if you used it on others you also did a fine job of keeping them from looking "flashy".

Ok theres my critique.....so now you tell me. How many thousands of photos do I have to take before I can produce results like this?

Thanks for ALL your feedback! I, too, find that things print darker - and I also noticed that I have a tendency to adjust things too dark for the first go around. it's not until they order that I realize just HOW dark they are! Whoops! So I tried to make 'em lighter. I may order a few before they do to see how they come out.... Thanks for the info on that, though!

I actually have several photos - especially on my two shoots from later that day - that I really should have used fill flash. rolleyes1.gif It was a rough day - I learned a LOT about what NOT to do that day in terms of scheduling. (More on that when I post shots from my other two shoots.) But I'm glad to hear they didn't come out too flashy! That's something I've been working pretty hard on!

And I"m sure you'll be doing photos MUCh better than mine in far fewer shots than I've taken!

Thanks again! I really appreciate the time you took....
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Since so many of you feel that these may be a bit TOO contrasty, I bumped these two down a little to see what everyone thought....

215292781-M.jpg

I actually wonder two things as I'm posting this - is there a bit too much flash? And could I possibly have the color balance wrong before conversion? That may make it look a little off. I love jsut about everything about this shot, but I'm not wild about the lighting... (It was behind her so I used flash.) Anyway, thoughts?
    215292822-M.jpg

This is a hard one converted in the same style as the little boy at the top. It's in the direct sun so it has quite a different feel. I think I could play with the green and maybe pop them more, but it might be more gold/yellows in the trees which would mess with their skin, which is a bit blown. Or too close, anyway. I actually like the color version better, which is unusual for me!
    215292883-M.jpg

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    I DO have to defend the extreme contrast, as it is a huge part of my style and often, apart from the sepia, what attracts people to me.

It IS too much if everything is shot that way BUT, people actually like it. It is not studio work but it also adds a lot of glam in a natural lit setting.

This is where I will process a few of the same image. The colour :cry, the standard b&w or sepia :ivar and a high contrast wings.gif and more often than not, they love the surreal quality of the high contrast and take both or just that.

Bit to do with taste too but I am a massive fan of high contrast *nods to self*
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    kp-pix wrote:
    I DO have to defend the extreme contrast, as it is a huge part of my style and often, apart from the sepia, what attracts people to me.

It IS too much if everything is shot that way BUT, people actually like it. It is not studio work but it also adds a lot of glam in a natural lit setting.

This is where I will process a few of the same image. The colour :cry, the standard b&w or sepia :ivar and a high contrast wings.gif and more often than not, they love the surreal quality of the high contrast and take both or just that.

Bit to do with taste too but I am a massive fan of high contrast *nods to self*

Thanks for your feedback! I used to detest super high contrast unless it was done *right* and I just couldn't do it.... And most couldn't so I stayed away from it....

I think there are still some things I could do to improve it a tad, but I'm much happier withthem than I used to be. But then again, I used to suck at color, too, and really enjoy that now.... I find that right now I tend towards b&w/sepia and some high contrast, but love that spot of color thrown in now and then. I think as I find my stride more, I'll probably end up about 2/3rds monotone and 1/3 color. There are just some images that are perfect in color! (But not as many as I used to think...)

Anyway, thanks again! (And good luck with your wedding. I have one this weekend and I'm freaked - even though it's my 4th. I just dont' have the... well, you know... for weddings, I don't think!)

:D
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Ahh your work is great! and you will be fine :D I have shot a lot of weddings in the past on film, but this digital realm is completely different, so all new to me! Well, not as new as it was last year, thankfully! Can't say I have ever faced Saturday in the past and don't think I will want it again in the future rolleyes1.gifso thanks for the luck. We will need it, definitely!

Good luck to you too!

As for that colour - agreed - some just look perfect in that format but there is just SO much depth with b&w and sepia, unbeatable to me, but still mostly my taste.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    oh and re: high contrast images. I really think it is a personal taste issue and no doubt, I don't do it well rolleyes1.gifbut to date, no complaints. That being said though, I look back on a session I did in July and compare to what I processed in October, in that format, and notice I have improved with the face. A lot, I am only enjoying a few images from that session at the moment.

Still lacking detail, still no shadow, but not using it as a tool of b&w conversion, but more of a tool of 'look at me'. I think it's the eye catchlight that can make or break it, to me at any rate. If that is clear and bright, it really impacts. Or, the overall facial expression if not looking at the lens.

Probably not a great part of my stride headscratch.gifeek7.gifroflbut part of it none the less.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Very nice set Andi! I, too, am a fan of high-contrast. But I think it depends on the image and sometimes less is more. I really, really like the first image of your friend. I do prefer your 2nd workup of it with the slightly lower contrast. I think it is softer, kinder and generally makes her look prettier to me. Something tells me that this also might be really nice in color even though I haven't seen it. I do prefer the color version (original) of the boy and his Dad over the 2nd sepia version. I always love your sepia, but this one is much better in color. The kid's shots are adorable as always! iloveyou.gif That little boy in the color shot in your gallery is just so sweet. You asked about the dog shot and I don't think anyone has responded. I hate to admit, this is probably my least favorite and I love dogs! This shot just doesn't work for me. But that's just my tastes. Great group and it's fun to see you changing up to B&W instead of all sepia! ~ Susan
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Who ever took Scott's computer needs to give it back. There is NO WAY you got something wrong!!! (But in the case that it *is* you, I forgive you. But just this once!)
    Hmmmm .... I think I've been slammed, but I not quite sure in what mannerheadscratch.gif

Oh well, it's all good fun!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Hmmmm .... I think I've been slammed, but I not quite sure in what mannerheadscratch.gif

Oh well, it's all good fun!

Whoops! I was just teasing! Seriously... Not slamming! rolleyes1.gif Sorry...

But I really WOULD like your feedback on the reworked photos, if you don't mind! (And you can forgive ME for not being clear!)
    Ahh your work is great! and you will be fine :D I have shot a lot of weddings in the past on film, but this digital realm is completely different, so all new to me! Well, not as new as it was last year, thankfully! Can't say I have ever faced Saturday in the past and don't think I will want it again in the future rolleyes1.gifso thanks for the luck. We will need it, definitely!

Good luck to you too!

As for that colour - agreed - some just look perfect in that format but there is just SO much depth with b&w and sepia, unbeatable to me, but still mostly my taste.

oh and re: high contrast images. I really think it is a personal taste issue and no doubt, I don't do it well rolleyes1.gifbut to date, no complaints. That being said though, I look back on a session I did in July and compare to what I processed in October, in that format, and notice I have improved with the face. A lot, I am only enjoying a few images from that session at the moment.

Still lacking detail, still no shadow, but not using it as a tool of b&w conversion, but more of a tool of 'look at me'. I think it's the eye catchlight that can make or break it, to me at any rate. If that is clear and bright, it really impacts. Or, the overall facial expression if not looking at the lens.

Probably not a great part of my stride headscratch.gifeek7.gifroflbut part of it none the less.
    Gosh, i can't even imagine doing wedding in film. ACK! Just the THOUGHT wigs me out... But if you can do that, I'm sure you'll do awesome this weekend....

And I totally know what you mean about going back to look at your work - I do that and am almost applled at some of my old techniques. Laughing.gif! Too dark, no finess, poor lighting, whatever... it's cool seeing things improve, isn't it?!?

:D
    Very nice set Andi! I, too, am a fan of high-contrast. But I think it depends on the image and sometimes less is more. I really, really like the first image of your friend. I do prefer your 2nd workup of it with the slightly lower contrast. I think it is softer, kinder and generally makes her look prettier to me. Something tells me that this also might be really nice in color even though I haven't seen it. I do prefer the color version (original) of the boy and his Dad over the 2nd sepia version. I always love your sepia, but this one is much better in color. The kid's shots are adorable as always! iloveyou.gif That little boy in the color shot in your gallery is just so sweet. You asked about the dog shot and I don't think anyone has responded. I hate to admit, this is probably my least favorite and I love dogs! This shot just doesn't work for me. But that's just my tastes. Great group and it's fun to see you changing up to B&W instead of all sepia! ~ Susan
    Susan, thank you so much! And thanks for the feedback on the shot of my friend - I actually agree with you. After reworking them slightly, I am much happier with the photos. Well, except the boy and dad - that's definitely a color version.

And I'm glad you're enjoying my B&W photos. I've seen several B&Ws lately (here in and in magazines) that have really just struck me with their beauty. While this set has a lot of high contrast, I've actually been working on conversions with more finess and less contrast - and I've been happy with many of them. (Not all, by any means. And I have a LOOOONG way to go!) But it's nice to her someone's enjoying them.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the dog photo - I'd actually forgotten about it. I'm going to rework it and see if I like it more, but we'll see. I have other photos that are better, I think, but liked something abotu this one. (But I must be the only one.... rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks again for your detailed feedback! Most helpful and kind!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Whoops! I was just teasing! Seriously... Not slamming! Sorry...

But I really WOULD like your feedback on the reworked photos, if you don't mind! (And you can forgive ME for not being clear!)

No worries - like I said "It's all good fun". I guess I didn't use the correct emoticon. So, here, maybe, is a better one... rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gif :ivar wings.gifbowdown.gif (take your pick!).

As for comments on the re-post - I now don't trust the monitor I have at work so I'll comment in later this afternoon when I get home.

TTFN