Options

Powermac G5

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Thinking about picking up a Powermac G5.

Dual 1.8hgz, with either 2-3gigs of ram. I also looking at picking up a different monitor for this system. I like their monitors, but they are kinda pricey.

Now my question is this, with the dual 1.8ghz and 2 gigs of ram will this be enough to run photoshop cs? All the system will be used for is editing photo's, nothing more. I have my PC to play on the net with.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005

Dual 1.8hgz, with either 2-3gigs of ram. I also looking at picking up a different monitor for this system. I like their monitors, but they are kinda pricey.

Now my question is this, with the dual 1.8ghz and 2 gigs of ram will this be enough to run photoshop cs? All the system will be used for is editing photo's, nothing more. I have my PC to play on the net with.

i run the 2.5ghz g5, with 3.5 gigs of ram. it screams! i went with the big unit, becuase of the large files from my 1Ds Mark II. photoshop loves ram, and big scratch disks. have plenty of both.

can't say enough about the 30" apple cinema display, yeah it's pricey but to me, worth it. the 23" is used by a few members, and honestly, that'd be big enough for me, too.

you might take a read through this thread.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    More than enough. Way more.

I run a Pentium 1.4 mhz with 1 gb of ram, no problems.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    More than enough. Way more.

I run a Pentium 1.4 mhz with 1 gb of ram, no problems.

Yeah, I run PSCS on my 1ghz G4 Powerbook, with only 1gig of ram.

wxwax, wow that's an old system, running at 1.4mhz. Don't know how you do it...

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    All the system will be used for is editing photo's, nothing more. I have my PC to play on the net with.

That's fine, but unnecessary. You can easily use the G5 for internet access without concern. If you are worried about speed, you can just quit when you're running PS. Either way is fine, just not sure why you'd want an extra setup you don't need.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's fine, but unnecessary. You can easily use the G5 for internet access without concern. If you are worried about speed, you can just quit when you're running PS. Either way is fine, just not sure why you'd want an extra setup you don't need.
    The more I thought about it the more I think I'm just going to upgrade the ram to 3 gig, I'm running a AMD 2800 right now. So with 3 gig I can assign 2 gig to PS CS and that will leave 1 gig for the computer to work off of.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    The more I thought about it the more I think I'm just going to upgrade the ram to 3 gig, I'm running a AMD 2800 right now. So with 3 gig I can assign 2 gig to PS CS and that will leave 1 gig for the computer to work off of.

So does this mean no to getting the G5?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    So does this mean no to getting the G5?
    At this time maybe, maybe not, I'm in the process of writing a business plan to obtain some funds to help with the startup cost of the business, if I get the loan I want, then I'll have the powermac G5 I want with the 30" display and all.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

wxwax, wow that's an old system, running at 1.4mhz. Don't know how you do it...

;)

Oh, I get around. :hurt

blbl.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005

Dell FPW2005 (widescreen) is getting really good press in terms of working well on Macs. http://www.macintouch.com with the coupon codes available at dealmac.com, the price this week went from $749 retail to $506!

I'm going to get one, I think. I've gotten over the horror of it all. 1600x1200 or you can get a newer Radeon 9600 card, IIRC, and be able to pivot the display from landscape to portrait with the G5 (I have 1 GHz PB).

Lynne
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    At this time maybe, maybe not, I'm in the process of writing a business plan to obtain some funds to help with the startup cost of the business, if I get the loan I want, then I'll have the powermac G5 I want with the 30" display and all.

Are you planning on starting up your own photography business?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Dell FPW2005 (widescreen) is getting really good press in terms of working well on Macs. http://www.macintouch.com with the coupon codes available at dealmac.com, the price this week went from $749 retail to $506!

I'm going to get one, I think. I've gotten over the horror of it all. 1600x1200 or you can get a newer Radeon 9600 card, IIRC, and be able to pivot the display from landscape to portrait with the G5 (I have 1 GHz PB).

Lynne

Are you sure you can pivot? I heard something about OSX not supporting that, and that it requires system support.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you sure you can pivot? I heard something about OSX not supporting that, and that it requires system support.

I'm thinking you can do this...I saw it posted someplace. I'll see if I can find it.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Are you planning on starting up your own photography business?
    Yes started working on my mission statement, vision, and finance stuff tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005

Do you have experience in this, have any help, or just doing it with no help?

A friend of mine told me that I should start my own business....even though I don't have a regular gig at this. I'm not sure if I want to bother with it....
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    I'm thinking you can do this...I saw it posted someplace. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes, I think you're right. I was reading this on macintouch.com a few days or a week ago. Other readers have since posted saying that it works.

Cool!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    Do you have experience in this, have any help, or just doing it with no help?

A friend of mine told me that I should start my own business....even though I don't have a regular gig at this. I'm not sure if I want to bother with it....
    Yea I've got a friend helping me, he did this for a living so I'm very lucky. My 3 page vision paper looks like a mad man got ahold of it where he went through it today :D
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005

knock that crap off...work's gonna come too early tomorrow as it is. :bluduh

let's keep this recreational, shall we?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    knock that crap off...work's gonna come too early tomorrow as it is. :bluduh

let's keep this recreational, shall we?
    lol wish I could, but want to get this started as soon as I can.

Also fxing to start working on equipment, this should be fun.
  • Options
    swilnerswilner Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    That sounds like a great system
    You have more than enough of everything to run CS. I am running it on a G4 dual processor with 1 gb of ram and it is fine. Just bought the Samsung 21" monitor and it is grand. YOu might want to check them out. Also, the Eizo's are very good.

Good luck and be careful not to burn the house down with all that speed!!!
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    swilner wrote:
    You have more than enough of everything to run CS. I am running it on a G4 dual processor with 1 gb of ram and it is fine. Just bought the Samsung 21" monitor and it is grand. YOu might want to check them out. Also, the Eizo's are very good.

Good luck and be careful not to burn the house down with all that speed!!!
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Pivot in Tiger.