Options

The Alta Powder Turn

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 28, 2005 in Sports
Alta is known for it's wonderful light "champagne" powder. And for a style of powder skiing developed over over 50 years by Alf Engen and other famous skiers. This series shows the a pretty nice Alta Powder turn.

16624915-L.jpg

The skier has completed a left hand turn and is initiating a linked turn to the right by reaching out with his downhill (right) pole. Notice the upper body is facing downhill and the downhill reach with the downhill pole will square the upper body to the fall line.

16624933-L.jpg

The pole plant is complete and now the skier drives his knees downhill, flattening his edges and allowing them to glide naturally into the fall line. Meanwhile, he is bringing his left hand and pole forward to be ready to initiate the next turn.

16624973-L.jpg

The skier is fully in the fall line, gliding naturally downhill. This moment feels a little like zero G.

16625006-L.jpg

The skier completes the turn by transfering his weight slightly to his left ski and rocking his weight slightly from toe to heel, allowing the shape of the ski to carve the bottom part of the turn. He is now reaching out his left and and pole to initiate the next turn.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    wow, after reading all that I could probably ski . . . on secondthought, naw. I'd still break something I'm sure!

awesome shots, though clap.gif
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I am more jealous because I have been sking in utah (and at alta) and I know how awesome the skiing is there.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    I dug up one more in the sequence. 2 seconds later, the skier has passed me. Note the really nice pole control and aggressive downhilll facing upper body position. This guy is sking well and enjoying it.

16648630-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 28, 2005
    Very kewl Rutt ^5

The first series reminds me of surf pics. With that roostertail of snow behind him and that wall of white all around. I also like how you got really good definition with the snow. You can see all the little bumps and clods in the foreground. Very nice clap.gif

Hey DF, you should try skiing. It's a fantastic sport for those under my age.....lol You might get sore in places you didn't know you had muscles, but I doubt if you'll seriously injure yourself :): The freedom of being able to do what you want on the hill with the wind whipping and bits of snow sticking to your face is.......AWESOME ylsuper.gif Although, it costs even more to participate in than photography.....lol I'll bet the lift tickets were at least $60 rolleyes1.gif

Nice ones Rutt thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    Although, it costs even more to participate in than photography.....lol I'll bet the lift tickets were at least $60 rolleyes1.gif

Steve
    $45 at Alta for me and $20 for my 12 year old. But the lift tickets are the least of it. By the time you pay for them, it's like buying the memory card reader after buying the 1DsMii kit.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    But the lift tickets are the least of it. By the time you pay for them, it's like buying the memory card reader after buying the 1DsMii kit.
    Wow.. I need to print that out and hang it on my wall! Now I don't feel so bad for spending 50 bucks a weekend for lift tickets :) Thanks for putting them in to perspective
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Wow.. I need to print that out and hang it on my wall! Now I don't feel so bad for spending 50 bucks a weekend for lift tickets :) Thanks for putting them in to perspective
    And then there is always heliskiing ($50/lift), if you really want:
    1. Very addictive
    2. Very fun
    3. Very expensive
    4. Very dangerous
    Sound like something else?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    Can't wait to get my Burton "Zoom" camera bag... this weekend its Mt. Hood here I come! I should have my 2 new lenses and bag by then ylsuper.gif