Options

Could someone please tell me.......

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited November 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
how the point system works for the LPS. I have searched the forums for what I am looking for and nothing is there. :dunno If this has been answered already :huh I aplogize for the repost. If you could point me to the post that would be great, if not here's my question

How does the point system work and what is it based on?

It would be good to know how things are judged and how points are given heading into this final stretch.

THanks in advance for any clarification?

Congratulations to everyone on there entries, certainly made for an interesting round. Thanks for raising the bar! See you next time....

Comments

• Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong... My understanding is each judge ranks their top 10... 1 thru 10 and points are assigned as follows... number 1 choice recieves 10 point, number 2 9 points, number 3 8 points and so on...

Each images points are tallied up and that is how it is done... So for instance if there are 4 judges and each one chooses my shot as their number 10 pick then my image would end up with 4 points (just an example)

Hope this helps
    Winston
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong... My understanding is each judge ranks their top 10... 1 thru 10 and points are assigned as follows... number 1 choice recieves 10 point, number 2 9 points, number 3 8 points and so on...

Each images points are tallied up and that is how it is done... So for instance if there are 4 judges and each one chooses my shot as their number 10 pick then my image would end up with 4 points (just an example)

Hope this helps
    Winston

nod.gif
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    So from what you are saying there are no true guidelines as to what the judges are looking for. No more points for photoshop then in camera work. No more points for good composition then bad. Just if you like it and it makes you feel something then it gets a placement from 1-10.

So what it comes down to is individual taste, and what someone likes and or doesn't?

THanks
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    imax wrote:
    So from what you are saying there are no true guidelines as to what the judges are looking for. No more points for photoshop then in camera work. No more points for good composition then bad. Just if you like it and it makes you feel something then it gets a placement from 1-10.

So what it comes down to is individual taste, and what someone likes and or doesn't?

Thanks

Shay provides guidelines for each round, and that depends on the theme of the round. But, in the end, each judge will like or dislike a photo over another. That is why there is more than 1 judge per round. If I liked something but 3 others found it not worthy then odds are it will not become a finalist for that round.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Well, this is good to know. I had no idea either. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    imax wrote:

THanks
    Yup. You got a problem wit dat? :D

Seriously though, all the judges are volunteers of varying background, varying taste, and Shay rotates through new judges to get fresh eyes. If I had a nickel for everytime this topic comes up, I'd be a rich man. It's photography, it's art, it's subjective - we're not going to force a system on the judges who graciously volunteer their time, often agreeing not to compete in a given round. It's basic statistics, we use a 10 point ranking and multiple judges to even things out. I think you might be surprised how well this works. Very often, between 4 or 5 judges, there is almost always agreement on at least the top three photos, not in the same order, but just about everyone has a few photos in common on their lists.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited November 14, 2007
    Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I was hoping that there was more to the scoring or point system then just a persons taste. My taste is certainly different then others as is there's to mine. I was hoping that there was some method to the madness to possibly use as an advantage, but it appears that it is equal, you just have to get lucky enough to have judges who like what you do the time that you do it!

As for

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Like I said originally Erik, point me to the posts that asks about the point system and how each photograph is scored. I'm not knocking the contest like so many other posts have done, I was looking for a way into the judges minds and what they are looking for, but since it's about taste, that'sa a whole new ballgame. Thanks again for clarifying....

Joe

Joe