Options

Juried Exhibition Dilemna

CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 19, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Skippy/mods - I couldn't figure out whether this was an appropriate forum or not but I figured since they're all IR it would be a good place to start. Please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if necessary and accept my apologies for being a little slow :crazy .

I'm getting some images together to submit for a juried photo exhibition, for which I can submit up to 3 images. I've got the first 2 (#3 and #4) but I'm stuck on the last one. I'm having trouble deciding on these 2 (#1 & #2), with my thoughts for each. C&C would be most welcome.

I'm leaning toward this one because I think it's better compositionally. While it seems to work together with #3 and #4 below I don't think the subject matter, the structure, is as obvious in this one as it is in the others.

100061308-L-1.jpg

I like this one because the structure is closer to the ones in #3 and #4 but I think it's lacking in composition. It's got the power lines and the tree is being cutoff at the top.

219116678-L.jpg

100049858-L-1.jpg

185518945-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Skippy/mods - I couldn't figure out whether this was an appropriate forum or not but I figured since they're all IR it would be a good place to start. Please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if necessary and accept my apologies for being a little slow :crazy .

I'm getting some images together to submit for a juried photo exhibition, for which I can submit up to 3 images. I've got the first 2 (#3 and #4) but I'm stuck on the last one. I'm having trouble deciding on these 2 (#1 & #2), with my thoughts for each. C&C would be most welcome.
    I'm leaning toward this one because I think it's better compositionally. While it seems to work together with #3 and #4 below I don't think the subject matter, the structure, is as obvious in this one as it is in the others.
    I like this one because the structure is closer to the ones in #3 and #4 but I think it's lacking in composition. It's got the power lines a nd the tree is being cutoff at the top.

Hi there, why don't you just clone out the power lines in the second shot??
    and you can fix the tree with cloning too :D

I'm more inclined to go with the first three images rather than the last one.

You have a nice set with these, it will be interesting to see what others think........good luck with your choices thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    I'm not normally a big fan of IR (heretic, I know...) However, #3 really jumped out at me.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Skippy wrote:

Yeah, that's why I wasn't too worried about them but I always remember Nikolai's comments regarding the challenges and minimal PP. I'll play around with it and post a revised version.
    I'm more inclined to go with the first three images rather than the last one.

You have a nice set with these, it will be interesting to see what others think........good luck with your choices thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

Hadn't thought of that but that's what I get for staring at them all too long. Plus it's always good to have another set of eyes on them for the different perspective.

Thanks much thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    I'm not normally a big fan of IR (heretic, I know...) However, #3 really jumped out at me.

Cheers,
    -joel

No worries Joel. I get that all the time and it doesn't bother me in the least. Makes me strive to have much better photos as a result :D

And thanks! #3 was one of those "maybe" kind of shots that I wasn't too sure about when I took it but it jumped out at me once I processed it.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Skippy wrote:

How's this?

219422825-L.jpg

Now I like it much better. Very much leaning toward this one. Now if it can pass the print test :twitch

Thanks Skippy!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    2 out of 3 ain't bad
    Woo Hoo! wings.gif

I got 2 of the 3 I submitted accepted.

I submitted 3, 4 and a modified version of #2.

#2 and #3 were accepted.

Probably should have gone with #1 instead of #4, like Skippy suggested, but I'll be happy with what they did accept.

BTW - the show, Simply Photography, is at the Artworks Gallery in Richmond VA and opens Nov 23rd.