Options

I hate winter!

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 23, 2008 in The Big Picture
Ugh! It started last Sunday - the temp dropped 1 degree an hour for 15 hours. From about 5C to -10C, and has continued to be -10C or less all week. Snowed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Some snow right now, with a big dump expected Monday.
Tomorrow the boys soccer team has a bottle drive scheduled, and I'll be helping - at -20 I'd rather be at home with the fire roaring or just not here.

In fact, today I up and booked a beach vacation for the end of December.

But in the meantime, how am I going to get through these next miserable days :cry :scratch

Well, the one thing that always lifts my mood is ....taking photos.

So, I think that is what I'll do. Go and take a bunch of photos.

Thanks for putting up with my rant!

ann

Comments

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Ann McRae,

It's nice to know that you would consider my 41F/5C plus, warmer than there. By the by...It will be cold tonight though, snow on the flats, they say. And Mt Baker opened for riding yesterday. Whooo! Whooooo!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Man, I hear ya. It's a freezing 54F here right now.

Can't wait till winter's over. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

And it's RAINING? What's that about?
    Chris
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    Winter? headscratch.gif I have a vague recollection of it.

13115172.jpg

that's why I moved to Florida (check out the date the pic was taken) :ivar
    53706037-L.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 30, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    And it's RAINING? What's that about?

Finally! Thank God.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Can't wait till winter's over. :D

David, i'll take your 54 over 90 heat anytime, oh plus the humidity!!!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    umph.gif

Edmonton weather per the weather network

:puke1 :puke

but, the Cdn$ is 62% stronger than it was 5 yrs ago!!!!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    You think you have problems ann...poor old doc & i feel its our civic duty to go & photograph here tomorrow. I doubt it will get under 19 or over 26C :cry The price we have to pay.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    "We can control the exchange rate, but never the weather." -Me

That said!

Ride On! Whistler and Mt Baker are already open, and the winter is splitting wide open for snow sports; except in Argentina, where summer looms.

Thanks, Ann McRae, for the plunge into winter photos, and all that means. I hope to see some winter shots from south of the big E(quator) to warm up us northerners. (Me)
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    gus wrote:
    You think you have problems ann...poor old doc & i feel its our civic duty to go & photograph here tomorrow. I doubt it will get under 19 or over 26C :cry The price we have to pay.

You Bloody Big Stirrer you rolleyes1.gif

We had 24C today, but it felt hotter than that.
    It's currently 21C at 5.30pm, says late thunder storm for Sunday.

Hopefully we will get a heap of rain cause that's what we need.

Poor Ann, but ya know what Ann, excessive heat is no fun,
    you can't go out in that either.

As we get more into our Summer it's going to get a lot hotter,
    with that usually comes fires, hope we don't get similar to California.

....... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Wimp! I bet your dog loves this weather.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Ugh! It started last Sunday - the temp dropped 1 degree an hour for 15 hours. From about 5C to -10C, and has continued to be -10C or less all week. Snowed Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Some snow right now, with a big dump expected Monday.
    Tomorrow the boys soccer team has a bottle drive scheduled, and I'll be helping - at -20 I'd rather be at home with the fire roaring or just not here.

In fact, today I up and booked a beach vacation for the end of December.

But in the meantime, how am I going to get through these next miserable days :cry headscratch.gif

Well, the one thing that always lifts my mood is ....taking photos.

So, I think that is what I'll do. Go and take a bunch of photos.

Thanks for putting up with my rant!

ann

That's exact reason why I switched from cold and dull Eastern European climate to hot and funky Tropics iloveyou.gif

But I still remember that I loved true winter, freezing wind, hats, gloves and fight ! I even was winter high mountain climber (certified mwink.gif). Warm pool and shorts fit me better now. Way better.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I have never been a fan of hot weather and winter is great for me iloveyou.gif , because...
    .... offers many activities
    IMG_0845_680.jpg

..is quieter and less crowded than trong during the summer time,
    IMG_3623_680.jpg

and gives us inspirations to take nice photos
    IMG_0537_Alba.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Gawd...I only wish for true winters....for the next 3-4 months it will be dull and Grey and drizzly...... already had 1 snow...yeah it lasted a whole 30 minutes weather said it was just about an inch...that was sometime betwixt midnite and 6am when I got up...it was all gone.....Ks just sucks for good snow unless you live out in the "badlands" of the far northwestern part of the state...but when it snows out there it drifts so bad they close the dang roads so you can't get into the photogenic areas to shoot......really sucks......now if we had snows and winters as in Arnica's beautiful photos I would be in Nirvana or Shangra La.....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hi Ann,

I can sympathize about winter to some degree (lived in Chicago for 5 years - but even then, I don't think it was any thing like what you get).

But if you get really tired of it, come on down to So Cal and we'll shoot some (outdoors) high school soccer together in January mwink.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Hey Colleen

Now that's a cool idea!

Maybe my son will end up playing for a university in some nice warm state! Then I'd have to visit frequently!!!

ann

Frog Lady wrote:
    Hi Ann,

I can sympathize about winter to some degree (lived in Chicago for 5 years - but even then, I don't think it was any thing like what you get).

But if you get really tired of it, come on down to So Cal and we'll shoot some (outdoors) high school soccer together in January mwink.gif

C.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Okay, so

1. We all survived the -19C bottle drive. Virtually no wind so that really helped.

2. Right now the sun rises around 9 a.m. and sets by 4 p.m. And occassionally there is no cloud cover, so we do get a bit of blue sky. But then M-F, the sun rises after I get to work and sets before I leave. So I think that competes with the dreary rainy winter weather that others get.

3. As for those of you with highs in the 50F range - you do know that is down right warm for a spring or fall day here, right? I mean we only occassionally see the better side of 20C in June - Sept.

Honestly, whoever had the idea of settling in Canada should have thought twice!

The only plus that I see to winter is that the deer and porcupine come into my yard looking for food. And we may occassionally have a nice covering of hoar frost.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2007
    Oh, and Nick, your right, my dog loves winter. He actually starts to smile when it starts snowing!

But then, he's a dog!

Arnica - gorgeous photos! I agree that there can be great photo ops during winter, its just the bitter cold and few hours of daylight that suck!
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, so

1. We all survived the -19C bottle drive. Virtually no wind so that really helped.

2. Right now the sun rises around 9 a.m. and sets by 4 p.m. And occassionally there is no cloud cover, so we do get a bit of blue sky. But then M-F, the sun rises after I get to work and sets before I leave. So I think that competes with the dreary rainy winter weather that others get.

3. As for those of you with highs in the 50F range - you do know that is down right warm for a spring or fall day here, right? I mean we only occassionally see the better side of 20C in June - Sept.

Honestly, whoever had the idea of settling in Canada should have thought twice!

The only plus that I see to winter is that the deer and porcupine come into my yard looking for food. And we may occassionally have a nice covering of hoar frost.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    ...the Cdn$ is 62% stronger than it was 5 yrs ago!!!!

Dollar parity! Gotta love it! wings.gif

Buy some equipment QUICK!!
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey Colleen

Now that's a cool idea!

Maybe my son will end up playing for a university in some nice warm state! Then I'd have to visit frequently!!!

ann

speaking of your son - how's the soccer stint in Germany going? Is he still there? Playing? ear.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I live in Boston, and today it was in the 20's. On Monday it was 65.

Anyway....I do indeed hate the winter as its:

-Freezing
    -$200-500 a MONTH of oil heat
    -Photography takes a bit of a hit. About 99% of my photography is outdoors, and getting out of work when its dark is not fun. In general, my photography slows down greatly until April it seems...ugh ;-(

DAMN YOU ALBERTA CLIPPER COLD FRONT!!!!!
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • Options
    nybor7nybor7 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2007
    I remember loving winter! wings.gif
    Rosy cheeks, blue lips, shivering and complaining about coming in out of the snow. Of course I was a kid!
    Lately, winters were meaning slush and blackened snowbanks and dry skin.
    Lived south mostly now and the winters are beautiful. I still only don a light sweater. I'm told I'll grow out of that and start bundling up. I will take winter anytime though when the alternative is 100+ temps in July&August.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    speaking of your son - how's the soccer stint in Germany going? Is he still there? Playing? ear.gif

C.

Hi Colleen

He is still there, training with the first and second U19 teams for a small club called VFL Leverkusen. He is being fully supported by us, and not signing anything so as to maintain college eligibility. He is training hard but has yet to play in a game, as the paperwork is taking a long time.
    He has been doing one course on line and that will leave him 3 courses to finish high school.
    He is coming home in early December, finishing his on line course and writing the diploma exams for it plus his SATs in January. Then he will decide about returning (he is welcome to return) or staying here and graduating with his class.

No matter the outcome it will have been a great experience for him, whether he knows that now or not!

Thanks for asking!

ann
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    net1994 wrote:
    I live in Boston, and today it was in the 20's. On Monday it was 65.

Anyway....I do indeed hate the winter as its:

-Freezing
    -$200-500 a MONTH of oil heat
    -Photography takes a bit of a hit. About 99% of my photography is outdoors, and getting out of work when its dark is not fun. In general, my photography slows down greatly until April it seems...ugh ;-(

DAMN YOU ALBERTA CLIPPER COLD FRONT!!!!!

I'm from Boston, too.
    The bigger the snowstorm, the more i like to get out and shoot pics :D
    Here is one i shot from an earlier winter:
    56095189-L.jpg
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Hey better to have grey skies or even snow then to have rain rain rain.

Here in Seattle it snowed on Saturday (12/1), then snowed and rained on Sunday (12/2), and its been raining ever since. Every river on the western half of the state is flooding, the Governor just declared a state of emergency, and everyone I know who has a basement has a flooded basement (right now I'm really glad my house doesn't have a basement and I'm really glad I live on a hill).

I'm stuck in a (dry) office so no pics from me, but here is what our local newspaper has.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    I love winter. If I didn't I'd go crazy living where I live.

Shoveled 7 inches of snow on Saturday and looking at shoveling another 5 to 7 before the end of tomorrow night.

Now I just have to learn how to take pictures in the snow---had alot of practice on Sunday :D

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    -35C, blizzarding, -42 with wind chill
    I am contemplating calling a realtor instead of a travel agent.

Anyone in a warm climate hiring? I am multiskilled, come with a hubby who can cook .....
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    +70 wind chill
    Maybe here ?
    But I cook too - so your hubby must stay !
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    My mailbox at home...

247285390-L.jpg
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Its 6.21am here atm & the thermometer beside me in my little office says 27.5 C (82f) & humid.

A day or 2 of cold would be nice.