Options

i'm considering a distagon wa lens for my canon dslr

2»

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hmm interesting. hopefully, won't affect me too much. i'm looking now.

the 18 f/4 or the 21 f/2.8? i can't find any prices on the 21 f/2.8, patch yer good at this, lemme know if you find any ok?

21mm f/2.8 here.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/191282

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:

thanks dave thumb.gif i'll be watching carefully.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thanks dave thumb.gif i'll be watching carefully.

There was a shot posted today on page 2 that shows the lens on a 1DsMkII.

I'm pretty impressed. The corners look real good.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    There was a shot posted today on page 2 that shows the lens on a 1DsMkII.

I'm pretty impressed. The corners look real good.

Dave

p2 of where, linky please? and which lens, the 18 or the 21?
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    p2 of where, linky please? and which lens, the 18 or the 21?

Sorry, it is the 21mm f/2.8 that I had linked yesterday. Here is the link to Page 2 on Fred Miranda.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Sorry, it is the 21mm f/2.8 that I had linked yesterday. Here is the link to Page 2 on Fred Miranda.

Dave

thanks. i asked him for some 100% corner crops :D
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    21mm zeiss examples, crops
    gaaaaaaaaaa! i *have* to have this lens

linky

mtf charts linky
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    18 mm examples
    linky

can't find any 100pct crops of the 18 yet...
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    gaaaaaaaaaa! i *have* to have this lens

linky

You can say I'm more than a little impressed. How about the leaves corner crop? So much detail there.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    more 21mm samples
    dkapp wrote:
    You can say I'm more than a little impressed. How about the leaves corner crop? So much detail there.

Dave

linky deutsche.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:

found an 18mm, new, and purchased it. will give it a twirl, see how the quality stacks up.

in the meantime, still looking for that 21mm :):
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    found an 18mm, new, and purchased it. will give it a twirl, see how the quality stacks up.

in the meantime, still looking for that 21mm :):

Andy - What adapter are you going to use to mount the Distagon on your 1DsMkll? There is an interesting article on the Digital Outback Photo thread by Paul Caldwell showing some adapters can damage the lens mount of the EOS cameras. Also you MAY void your Canon warranty according to the article as well - http://www.outbackphoto.com/the_bag/paul_adapter_note/essay.html

I will be interrested in your impression of this article if it is new to you.
    :): The use of the Distagons is getting much more commn by landscape shooters with the 1Ds and the 1DsMkll.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Andy - What adapter are you going to use to mount the Distagon on your 1DsMkll? There is an interesting article on the Digital Outback Photo thread by Paul Caldwell showing some adapters can damage the lens mount of the EOS cameras. Also you MAY void your Canon warranty according to the article as well - http://www.outbackphoto.com/the_bag/paul_adapter_note/essay.html

I will be interrested in your impression of this article if it is new to you.
    :): The use of the Distagons is getting much more commn by landscape shooters with the 1Ds and the 1DsMkll.

i had heard of this problem. i exchanged emails with jorge of www.dslrexchange.com and he assures me that their newest models of their adapter have taken this into account. here's what he they said:
    . There has been one report of someone who forced the lens beyond its mounting point and broke a switch. There are over 110 of these units out there. I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would use such force. Regardless, the 2nd generation adapter you receive will have a built in stop to keep you from going beyond the mounting point. thus its fool proof. I guarantee your satisfaction with the adapter. The machine work on these units is perfect and the fit is
    incredible.

so, i ordered from them. thanks pf!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i had heard of this problem. i exchanged emails with jorge of www.dslrexchange.com and he assures me that their newest models of their adapter have taken this into account. here's what he they said:

so, i ordered from them. thanks pf!

It is good to hear that they have added the stop to prevent damage from over rotating the lens mount when removing the adapter. This adapter from dslrexchange seems to be a HOT item right now too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    i will pay a finders fee to anyone who helps me find this lens, and i can actually get my hands on it. the zeiss distagon 21mm. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i will pay a finders fee to anyone who helps me find this lens, and i can actually get my hands on it. the zeiss distagon 21mm. deal.gif

Hey...you passed on the one I showed you last week? hmm...I guess I'll back to searching, but it will cost you double this time deal.gif

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Hey...you passed on the one I showed you last week? hmm...I guess I'll back to searching, but it will cost you double this time deal.gif

Dave

i didn't pass on it, but he sold thru private "email auction" and the price was w.o.o.w. so i stopped bidding.

everyone: go to grandma's house, look in the attic, basement.... i'll pay good price, joe! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Is there a huge difference between the distagon, and biogon?

I have absolutely zero knowledge of these lenses, and just came across the biogon model.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    zeiss 15mm hoo-boy
    linky to pics and 100pct crops

wow. i don't want this one...but it's pretty darn cool.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    You might be in luck. Cross your fingers & check your PM's.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    through lots of research and some help of good friends, and some ebay sniping (i use auctionstealer.com) i secured the 18mm f/4 thru ebay (got it at about 1/2 the going price, and the lens was brand new!) and the 21mm f/2.8 via my good friend, excellent photographer and fine dgrinner michiel de brieder.

the adapter is coming in a week or so from dslrexchange.com and then i'll give these puppies a proper workout!
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:

finder's fee paid deal.gif

i'm just sayin'

if anyone can find more of these, i'm buying for the right price deal.gif