Options

Surf shots-In tight

2»

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 26, 2005
    winger wrote:
    I liked the last two you posted (this on and the one with the curl of the wave)
    I guess in terms of tight you could also think in terms of who is the viewing audience. I mean an ice wide angle picture of a surfer in a wave maybe cool, but if you are doing a feature story on the guy you are going to want to see his face. That is why makes the last shot so great, its close enough to see his face you you can see him riding the wave. The facial expersion on the 3rd on is great. And I would imagine in a surfing magazine you would proably see a mix of ones cropped really tight and ones not as tight and ones far away.

I just looked at the last one again, it really is a fantasic shot.

Thanks Karen :D

As I mentioned, you put this idea into my head clap.gif I figured if we were trying to get tight on Basketball and Hockey players, why not surfers? It is tough, as you point out. Like a nice tight pic of a hockey player might look good, but too tight and you have no context. He could be standing on the ice or standing in line at McDonald's while wearing his jersey.....lol

I really liked the expression on the 3rd shot too. Very focused. Sort of a "See the wave, be the wave" look ...lol

Thanks for your comments and for taking time to look,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    shay wrote:
    Great shots Steve. You are making an impressive case for the Bigma.
    Thanks Shay :D

Well, it's not "L" glass, but it does have good flexability and it's hard to beat the price mwink.gif I am very happy with it and it has become one of my most used lenses.

Thanks for the comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    OK, Steve, that's it. umph.gif

As diligently as you responded to everyone in your thread... you are now assigned to give feedback on every entry in the Challenges. :cheer

:gone
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, Steve, that's it. umph.gif

As diligently as you responded to everyone in your thread... you are now assigned to give feedback on every entry in the Challenges. :cheer

:gone
    But, but, but.......:hide and quit using Lynn's smilie :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Thanks Andy :D

Since those shots were so tight, I figured I should explain what I was trying to do. That's what I really enjoy about shooting the same sort of subjects, over and over. You can experiment, or play around, instead of shooting the same old way every time. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But, I find that I always learn something, no matter how the pics come out thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments,
    Steve

gnarly, d00d !!

16546429-L.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Steve.. sorry i dont know how to say this without sounding like im bagging your shots but im certainly not... genuinely interested (i might want a bigma you seemwink.gif )

Why are these so sharp when earlier surf shots you have taken have just that small amount of softness to them ?

Were you using a tri/mono at 500mm or was the light better & thus faster shutter ?

• Options
    edited March 5, 2005
    Gus,

I think it's a combination of things. The light, the more surfers I shoot, the better at it I get and I have gotten better at handholding and panning with this lens. Plus, I think laying more megapixels on the surfer (shooting tighter) gives better resolution and a sharper result. Many of my earlier surf shots are heavily cropped. These later ones are almost original size. My Surf Gallery is set up chronologically, with my first surf shots starting on page 1 and my latest at the bottom of page 2 and on page 3. I think they look better as I scroll through the pages (maybe not).

Having said that, I want to tell you that you will get some oof (or soft) shots with the Bigma (in my experience, also with pretty much any lens). If you handhold, you'll get more than with a lighter lens. It is my toughest lens to use from this standpoint. Also, AI Servo takes a few hundred milliseconds to kick in, so you can wind up with a blurry first and/or second shot. I probably posted some of those in the past, too. I have better taste now rolleyes1.gif

Hope this helps some. Like I wrote before, bring a Canon body to Yosemite and you can try this bad boy out for yourself thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2005
    Ta steve...that sounds ok (i have granted you a pardonthumb.gif ) I will go & dissect your surf stuff now. Looks like it takes a bit to master but wow..look at its versatility.

Have a butchers at this blokes shots....great sales pitch for a bigma. Click on them to see them larger.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/forum.php?action=read&FORUM_THREAD_ID=175723