Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    About time.

Now regarding two monitors, my nice Lenovo work laptop has a VGA and DVI output on the dock, so with the laptop closed I have two monitors. And they are positioned and sized to match :)

Cool!

No reason why this one couldn't do the same (support 2 displays).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    that means you have to buy two monitors, though. if it's a dock for laptops, the laptop already has a monitor, it makes more sense (from a user perspective) to let me use it. at my office I have my (pos dell) laptop plugged into a docking station with an external monitor so I get two.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    StevenV wrote:
    that means you have to buy two monitors, though. if it's a dock for laptops, the laptop already has a monitor, it makes more sense (from a user perspective) to let me use it. at my office I have my (pos dell) laptop plugged into a docking station with an external monitor so I get two.

Yup. There's also something to be said for the lack of clutter in this design, the minimal amount of desk space it uses.

We'll see. It may never come out, anyway! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    iMovie 08 and Leopard
    I had been happily using my Canon Elura 100 with my FW400 port up until I upgraded to Leopard. The FW400 port is home to my Lacie 250GB FW 400 external drive and prior to upgrading to Leopard I had no problem sharing the port when I needed to transfer video form my camera. Now that I have upgraded to Leopard the port recognized the external HD but not the camera. I tried uninstalling all cables and rebooting...to no avail. I tried daisy chaining the camera by using the extra FW400 port on the back of the Lacie...again to no avail. I am extremely disappointed as it should "just work".

I also tried using all the different USB 2.0 ports. I checked the camera in the System Profiler and it appears when plugged in....it's just that iMovie won't recognize. In order to further troubleshoot I connected my wifes Canon SD450 digital point and shoot to see if I could transfer a small video file from it...although the camera appears on the desktop when connnected I am unable to import the video using iMovie....this is really beginning to frustrate me as it should simply work.

I was able to connect the Elura 100 using my FW400 cable to a friends iMac running Leopard natively.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Looks like Apple may make a laptop dock after all.

It's the one thing my MacBook is lacking (besides a Quicken solution). When I hook up all the cables to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc., it's not the prettiest thing. However, the docking station shown is not really what I would be wanting anyway.

I'm not sure why Apple did not create a docking station. They do everything else so well, it's a bit surprising they've never created one. I'm sure a lot of MacBook users use external monitors, keyboards and mouse. Then again, maybe not.

Dale
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I'm not sure why Apple did not create a docking station. They do everything else so well, it's a bit surprising they've never created one.

For a season or two, you could see Apple's original docking station sitting in the background on Jerry Seinfeld's desk at home. Later the Mac on Jerry's desk got updated, as it often did on that show. You can play "Identify Jerry's Mac" when watching the reruns; the model in the background a good way to figure out the season of the episode you're watching.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    StevenV wrote:

Yup I understand the concern. I took your approach for a while then at work I was able to get a second monitor. Having two monitors that are the same size and resolution and in the same plane became much more fluid to work with. It started to turn into one big monitor (kind of like the huge cinema displays)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I still cant stay logged into smugmug for more than a day. It just drops itself out. Is there a setting im missing here ?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I still cant stay logged into smugmug for more than a day. It just drops itself out. Is there a setting im missing here ?

Didn't this happen before and you had private browsing turned on in Safari?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Didn't this happen before and you had private browsing turned on in Safari?
    Its def turned off. Has been since we did it weeks back.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    iToothbrush:crazy :lol4
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Gus, be sure you have cookies enabled, and be sure you are logging in and out from www.smugmug.com - more help here.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:

Aren't the login credential cookies scoped to your IP address? Any chance your ISP is giving you a new address every few days Gus? Mine's done that a few times when things have not been behaving quite right on there end.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Cool!!!

I just upgraded my UPS from my old POS that I've had for ages, and which was grossly insufficient. :D

Anyway, I put the install disk for the auto shutdown stuff that comes with it (via USB), and there was no Mac installer....so a little hunting, and I found out why.

It's built in to OSX. Plug the USB cable in, and your System Prefs automagically change to give you control of shutdown of the APC!!!!

20080105-fh5y676dkmdgtn6q8y34mb2nq9.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    Which UPS model did you end up with?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Which UPS model did you end up with?

Heheh. It's right there in the screengrab! deal.gif

APC Smart-UPS 1500
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool!!! ... It's built in to OSX.
    I totally agree, that is coo!. :cool
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Gus, be sure you have cookies enabled, and be sure you are logging in and out from www.smugmug.com - more help here.
    Smugmug is the only site the mac wont stay logged onto out of about 10 other sites ne_nau.gif

if it can be done broke...im your man thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Guys...whats really driving me absolutely bloody crazy with this computer is that i cant do a full screen flick through of a folder full of photos.

On my PC it was just a matter of opening a photo with xp via a 'right click' & then there was a fwd & reverse arrow at the bottom of the page. man it was just easy.

Now the only way i can have similar is with that 'flick though book' style in which the photos are so pixilated that they are impossible to view.

I was at a mac shop the other day & there was some mac boffin with his pants down telling me that it was my fault that they were pixilated as the files were simply too small....well they are 2 to 4 meg ! (i can see the flamin' size written there & i have just done the save from CS3 at that bloody size so i know that they are not too small. He wouldnt believe me.

Any ideas ?? You cant tell me apple have neglected this...there must be an easy way to see my photos full screen ...one at a time with a click of the mouse.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    I'm sure there's a way to do it, and someone will let you know soon, but in the meantime, why not just open the folder in Bridge and use a small thumbs panel and a large preview panel? Or just select all, and hit Cmd-L for a slideshow. I loathed Bridge in CS2, but it is working great for me in CS3 on my new machine.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I'm sure there's a way to do it, and someone will let you know soon, but in the meantime, why not just open the folder in Bridge and use a small thumbs panel and a large preview panel? Or just select all, and hit Cmd-L for a slideshow. I loathed Bridge in CS2, but it is working great for me in CS3 on my new machine.
    Tks richard...i didnt think of using bridge. I actually love bridge in CS2/3. Yeah there has to be a way to do it other than that you would think.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Any ideas ??
    Have you checked whether Preview will do the job for you?

If you have it set up in your dock and then just select and throw all the images of interest at it, you can then conveniently browse through them in sequence or selectively as you wish. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Have you checked whether Preview will do the job for you?

If you have it set up in your dock and then just select and throw all the images of interest at it, you can then conveniently browse through them in sequence or selectively as you wish. mwink.gif
    Tks mate but i shouldnt have to throw images into a file that i want to see. I should be able to just open any file at random with my large jpegs in it & flick through them at full (or half) screen size. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Any ideas ?? You cant tell me apple have neglected this...there must be an easy way to see my photos full screen ...one at a time with a click of the mouse.
    This is CS3's fault, not Apple. You'll need 2 things:
    1) turn off the default icon/thumbnail creation in CS3
    Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling... there under "File Saving Options" uncheck "Icon" for sure, I have them all unchecked, and I don't remember what default is, but I know the Icon is what gives you the crap pixelated view in Coverflow.

2) to fix the ones that are already pixelated, you have to strip off the icons. Go get CocoThumbX (CTX), here.

Mate, you asked this once already, did you try the fix and it didn't work? If so, let me know, something else is up.

history...
    First asked here (me).

Then you asked here.

I give you a link to the Apple forums here, where it's explained very well, and CTX is praised by many folks for fixing the issue.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I should be able to just open any file at random with my large jpegs in it & flick through them at full (or half) screen size. headscratch.gif
    I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. eek7.gif

By 'open any file ...' do you mean 'open any folder ..."?

I'm not suggesting the experience would be precisely the same as you have been accustomed to on the dark side, but if you drag any folder of JPEGs to the Preview app (whether in the dock or otherwise) the images in the folder are all immediately available to browse in a window as large as you wish - allowing you to go forward and back to your heart's content.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. eek7.gif

By 'open any file ...' do you mean 'open any folder ..."?

I'm not suggesting the experience would be precisely the same as you have been accustomed to on the dark side, but if you drag any folder of JPEGs to the Preview app (whether in the dock or otherwise) the images in the folder are all immediately available to browse in a window as large as you wish - allowing you to go forward and back to your heart's content.
    What im talking about is if i create a folder from CS2 in xp on my PC....i save large jpegs to it > right click > open a photo > then there are arrows at the bottom of the page to move to the next one or go back.

I was wanting leopard to have a similar ability to simply allow me to open a folder with say 50 x 3-4 meg photos in it & open them to view each one at a good screen resolution. i mean they are big files. The files are a set size so the platform should automatically have the ability to open them correctly without killing a chicken on the 3rd moon of a leap year.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    What im talking about is if i create a folder from CS2 in xp on my PC....i save large jpegs to it > right click > open a photo > then there are arrows at the bottom of the page to move to the next one or go back.
    The only difference would be that rather than right click to open an image in the folder, you would 'open' all the images by dragging the folder to Preview. Then you would advance from image to image in much the same way.

And you're not limited to JPEGs - RAW images are handled the same way, as the Mac doesn't care what they are.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    The only difference would be that rather than right click to open an image in the folder, you would 'open' all the images by dragging the folder to Preview. Then you would advance from image to image in much the same way.

And you're not limited to JPEGs - RAW images are handled the same way, as the Mac doesn't care what they are.
    ok..what is & where do i find preview ?
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    gus wrote:
    ok..what is & where do i find preview ?
    It should be in your Applications folder - it comes bundled with every Mac. :D