Options

Insuring camera gear?

firststring74firststring74 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited May 13, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Do you insure your gear? Right now I have a floater policy through my homeowners and I need to read the fine print to see if it will cover my camera gear. If it doesn't, who do you insure your camera gear through?

Thanks,

Christina

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    If you join PPA, there are some neat options through Marsh.
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    insurance
    Do you insure your gear? Right now I have a floater policy through my homeowners and I need to read the fine print to see if it will cover my camera gear. If it doesn't, who do you insure your camera gear through?

Thanks,

Christina

Christina

I have a rider with my homeowners policy for my camera equipment. I currently pay about $150 a year for approximately 15,000 in replacement cost.

Each time I buy a new piece of equipment, I take the invoice to the insurance company and added to the list.

John

www.smileysphotography.com
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    If you have a business, your photography gear is no longer covered by homeowners. For $225 I have a business policy through State Farm. I'm also looking into adding accidental damage insurance to that policy.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2008
    Good to know everyone. I would hate to have something broken/stolen and not be able to replace it. I'll look into PPA Andy, thanks for the link.
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    I recently joined NANPA largely so that I could participate in the insurance program that they have setup. I sent my application in today. It is supposed to cover all perils except for "Mysterious Disappearance."

While it is pricier than many homeowner's policies that I have seen people mention, I felt better about a policy that was at least in theory designed around photographers. They have a blanket coverage for items with individual values under $500, so you don't have to itemize every filter, memory card, battery, etc. They also have rental coverage for anything that you rent or borrow. For me the shooting I do seems to line up more with the mission of NANPA than with the mission of the PPA, so that also played a part in my decision.
    --Travis
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    Thanks Travis, I'll look into them as well.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    For me the shooting I do seems to line up more with the mission of NANPA than with the mission of the PPA, so that also played a part in my decision.

You mean the North American Numbering Plan Administration?!? :D
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
  • Options
    AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Insurancespeak
    "Mysterious Disappearance." : Any claim made against your policy that is not backed up by a police report.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    If you have a business, your photography gear is no longer covered by homeowners. For $225 I have a business policy through State Farm. I'm also looking into adding accidental damage insurance to that policy.

Actually, most insurers in the homeowner business offer a "Home Based Business" endorsement to a homeowner policy that extends personal property coverage to the property used in the business, and also extends general business liability coverage to the same business. It's way less expensive than any separate policy.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Actually, most insurers in the homeowner business offer a "Home Based Business" endorsement to a homeowner policy that extends personal property coverage to the property used in the business, and also extends general business liability coverage to the same business. It's way less expensive than any separate policy.

I looked into that, and Allstate (our homeowner's policy) does not. Neither does State Farm, which is where I bought the biz insurance. Maybe more independant companies do.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I know this is an old thread, but I want to mention that I got renters insurance with a business endorsement coverage through Geico (have 2 cars insured with them). It cost me $199/yr for $10,000 equipment coverage. Covers me out of the home too, and also has 100k personal liability coverage.
    Geico uses third party insurers for their renters insurance, and in my case its Travelers, but all my dealings are through Geico.
    -Mark
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I have a very good business policy through Hill and Usher (via my National Association of Photoshop Professional membership). Before I purchased the policy I talked to the people and checked out their reputation. They understand the photography business very well. I have supplied them with a detailed inventory of my photography equipment. They cover "errors and omissions" coverage that is essential for wedding or event photographers. One mistake could cost your whole business.

They also have great customer service. I needed an endorsement to shoot at a local drag strip and had it emailed to me with the details of the location and its ownership in less than 30 minutes on the phone with a pdf emailed to me. I'm sure there are other good providers of photography business insurance, but make sure you check them out and they know about the high cost and small size of some of our equipment.