Options

Kyoto: Memoirs of a Tourist

2»

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Wow thanks guys! I am pleased that people like these photos, but I tell ya getting them was traumatic and frustrating on my end, plus the keep rate was pretty low, much lower than the other kinds of photography I find myself doing. rolleyes1.gif

I think i said before that I'd love to visit again for a festival where it would be traditions/geisha/maiko galore. Who cares if it's been done a hundred times with photographers? It'd be great to be able to photograph performers actually performing and not having to snipe as they walk down the street. ;)

Thanks for looking in, Mike! 10 years already, whew. I always enjoy seeing the shots you put up of all the unique scenes and fauna that people on vacation don't get to catch very often. thumb.gif
  • Options
    MajiMaji Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2008
    Great story telling pictures
    Those were great story tellers.

I was in Kyoto in late November this year and the Fall colors there are just awesome. You should go there sometime and enjoy them.

By the way, the roads in Japan are so narrow that the fire water hydrants have to be installed under the roads. These are typically just behind the roadway pavement here in the US.

Here are some pictures of:

1. Similar great looking hydrant manhole cover in Uji, a small city by Kyoto
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    2. A great looking drain catch basin cover in Kyoto, with the momiji (Japanese red maple that turns gorgeous red every Fall) engravings in Uji. Goes to show how much these people love their fall colors.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    3. The magnificient fall colors of Kyoto at the reflection pond at Kinkakuji.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    Thanks for sharing your shots, Maji!! I was there in November as well but apparently a couple weeks too early. I had no idea how warm Japan was in the fall. I think in Kyoto we saw one maple tree that had good red color in Arishiyama - it was in front of a restaurant that was closed but everyone kept posing for photos underneath it and there was practically a line forming. That was quite funny. lol3.gif

Uji is where the tea is from, correct? I tried drinking it but it was a tad too strong for my taste. :D
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Wow, fantastic series of shots! The little details, the textures, amazing! I enjoyed reading the narratives about the shots as well.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Uji is where the tea is from, correct? I tried drinking it but it was a tad too strong for my taste. :D

You are right about Uji. The maa-cha is a tad too strong, but the green tea known as Oo-cha is slightly lighter.
  • Options
    pug8pug8 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Wel, it looks like you had a great trip, schmoo. Too bad I haven't been following these forums in recent months - so much other stuff going on.
    I went to Nikko the other day; it was so pretty in the snow. I should post some pics some time....
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    pug8 wrote:
    Wel, it looks like you had a great trip, schmoo. Too bad I haven't been following these forums in recent months - so much other stuff going on.
    I went to Nikko the other day; it was so pretty in the snow. I should post some pics some time....

Hey pug!! I remember at least a year ago saying to you that going to Japan was just a probability. lol3.gif Time flies, but I understand drifting in and out, here and there. I have heard a lot about Nikko in the snow and I would have loved to visit. Please post if you can! :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Hi
    Great set of photos Schmoo clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery