More money, more lenses?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    You tell me. He's on this forum, as Pathfinder :D
    Yeah, I know. That's why I said it. He has given many of us great advice and counsel. I always enjoy reading his comments. :cool
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    Well, the XTi is small :) I never realized how small until I had spent a few weeks with my 40D, and then even more so after I got my battery grip. But the XTi is nice for quick movements because it's small and light. So like I said, the battery grip is your call. The battery life is a good idea though, the XTi batteries don't last long. But for some reason I thought I remember the XTi grip not taking 2 batteries, but I am probably wrong.

If you want my honest opinion. I would hold off on the XTi battery grip. Just get an extra battery. That way if you ever get serious, and upgrade cameras, you can get a grip for the better one. Because honestly, I don't use my XTi enough to necessitate a battery grip. And I'd be willing to bet you might not either. Use the money for something else. If you want to do journalism, get a flash before you get a grip. If you want to do concert photos, invest in filters for your lens.

My philosophy has always been don't do something under a veil of efficiency, if your current circumstances aren't inefficient. And switching out the battery on the XTi isn't a big deal. Where as filters for the lenses could add a lot to your photos and open up doors for creativity.
    Yeah, I know. That's why I said it
    just making sure. I can't keep up with who knows he's my dad, and who doesn't :D

I call him all the time about photos questions. I've been late to photo assignments because we were talking cameras :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Well, I've decided to go with just the 17-55mm f/2.8 Tamron lens and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 for now. That way I'll decide if I really need those extra focal lengths quite yet or I can wait.

The next question is I am not the greatest handling things so is there any carrying case you would recommend? I'm looking for it to be relatively portable and can somewhat handle the elements.

Also, IIRC Canon made a new battery/grip combo and I was wondering if it worked with the XTi.

Good choices. I think that ought to serve you for a while & relieve the G.A.S. for a while. :D

For bags, there's an overwhelming number of choices. Take a look at www.cambags.com for lots of good reviews & examples of what can be carried. If anything bags are worse than lenses in trying to pick the right one. I'm now at 4 sets for my main rig--each with a use in mind (surprise), ranging from a large backpack to a ThinkTank belt system. So, first think about how you want it to work to narrow down the style, i.e., backpack, classic shoulder bag, rolling case, sling bag, modular belt system, etc.

FOr the grip, yes Canon has one for the XTi. It's up to you if you really need one. For me, the grip lives on my 20D 99.99% of the time (I only remove it under duress).
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Duckys54 wrote:
    Well, I've decided to go with just the 17-55mm f/2.8 Tamron lens and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 for now. That way I'll decide if I really need those extra focal lengths quite yet or I can wait.

The next question is I am not the greatest handling things so is there any carrying case you would recommend? I'm looking for it to be relatively portable and can somewhat handle the elements.

Also, IIRC Canon made a new battery/grip combo and I was wondering if it worked with the XTi.

Bag recomendation: Lowepro Slingbag 100 AW or 200 AW. The 100 will hold everything you have now with some extra space, the 200 will give you room to grow. I use the 300 AW myself, but I think it is way more then you need now or in the near future.

The great thing about the slingbag is that it is comfortable and when you want to take something out/put something away you just swing it around and open it up - no need to stop and set your bag on the ground, etc. It also has a rain-proof/dustproof cover that is attached so you can cover it to protect the bag and gear if you are in dirty or damp conditions. It also looks more like a daypack then a camera bag, so less likely to be targeted for theft.

Pretty inexpensive too, I beleive the 100 AW is around $60 on Amazon.com.

Some day I'm going to get a PM telling me to quit recommending this bag all the time, but I can't stop - it is just the perfect "hold everything" bag.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

Pretty inexpensive too, I beleive the 100 AW is around $60 on Amazon.com.
    Really? Cause I think I got the 2 for $79. ALthough maybe that's normal :)

I had to upgrade, and got the Stealth 650. But he will not need the stealth for a LONG time :) Sad thing is, I bought the stealth cause my Sling was no longer sufficient for all my stuff. But I barely have room with the Stealth. I should have gotten the Magnum :)

And Chris, the XTi battery grip wouldn't work with the 20D, so he would have to buy another if he upgraded.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:
    Really? Cause I think I got the 2 for $79. ALthough maybe that's normal :)

I had to upgrade, and got the Stealth 650. But he will not need the stealth for a LONG time :) Sad thing is, I bought the stealth cause my Sling was no longer sufficient for all my stuff. But I barely have room with the Stealth. I should have gotten the Magnum :)

And Chris, the XTi battery grip wouldn't work with the 20D, so he would have to buy another if he upgraded.

Right now at Amazon, the 100 is $69 and the 200 is $89. So I was a little off. The prices do fluctuate a little bit though.

I originally purchased the 100, but with just the 40D + grip + 70-300 non-IS + 28-135 IS - i couldn't fit everything in. Apparently it is made for the XT/XTi size cameras, not the XXD size ones. So, I resold it on amazon and got the 300. [was that TMI, maybe]
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Right now at Amazon, the 100 is $69 and the 200 is $89. So I was a little off. The prices do fluctuate a little bit though.

I originally purchased the 100, but with just the 40D + grip + 70-300 non-IS + 28-135 IS - i couldn't fit everything in. Apparently it is made for the XT/XTi size cameras, not the XXD size ones. So, I resold it on amazon and got the 300. [was that TMI, maybe]
    Maybe for me, since I have the stealth :p but the new blood probably would appreciate the options.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    ccpickre wrote:

I know. I guess I wasn't clear. Part 1: Yes Canon does havea grip for the XTi--the BG-E3. Part 2: I have the BG-E2 for my 20D and find it invaluable.

You know there's no such thing as a permanent "hold everything" bag. Your kit will outgrow whatever biggest bag you have is eventually. Happened with my SS200, though it's still frequently used for subsets of my overall kit. This is part of the process that creates a "bag-a-holic" :D
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2008
    I know. I guess I wasn't clear. Part 1: Yes Canon does havea grip for the XTi--the BG-E3. Part 2: I have the BG-E2 for my 20D and find it invaluable.

You know there's no such thing as a permanent "hold everything" bag. Your kit will outgrow whatever biggest bag you have is eventually. Happened with my SS200, though it's still frequently used for subsets of my overall kit. This is part of the process that creates a "bag-a-holic" :D
    Ok, I misunderstood.

As to the bag thing yes, I've had mine for less than a month and I'm already thinking about a bigger one :)