fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited March 16, 2005 in The Big Picture
"Some people will tell you that slow is good -- and it may be, on some
days -- but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed
this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon
will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why
God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

As mentioned in another thread, my mother passed away last week after a relatively brief, but debilitating illness. I got a call from the mortuary yesterday, saying that mom's cremains and death certificates were ready to be picked up. After a relatively sleepless night, I showered, geared up, and headed down to Redwood City to pick up mom and take her home with me. We were going to take the very long way home. Never in my entire 26 year motorcycling career, had I been able to convince mom to swing a leg over and let me take her for a spin. She used to joke about it and even sat on my bikes on occasion, making "vroom vroom" sounds, then cackling like a tickled hen as she stepped back off.

On my way to the mortuary, I wondered what Al the Funeral Director was going to think when I came in to pick up mom on my motorcycle. Horror? Shock? Disbelief? No...none of those. He met me at the front door (they keep it locked...why? :scratch), and had a big grin on his face. He asked me to come in and wait in his office while he went into the back to get mom. I signed the paper stating that I had taken possession of mom's cremains. We shook hands and I told him that it was a pleasure working with him. I grabbed my helmet and he picked up mom's cremains and said he'd bring her out to the bike. On the long walk through the '70's funeral parlor decor, Al said that his mom told him and his two brothers that they were not allowed to have motorcycles or tattoos. He grinned really wide, and said that shortly after his mother died, his younger brother bought a big red chrome-encrusted Harley...the biggest one he could find...with part of his inheritance. Shortly after, the same brother got a tattoo of a tiger (he and his mom were born in the year of the tiger), and had his mom's name inscribed under the tiger. As we continued down the hallway, Al said that his older brother, now 60, got a tattoo of an eagle on his arm and showed it off during a formal party last year. By now, Al the Funeral Director was laughing loudly...not something you'd expect to hear in a funeral chapel. I asked him if he got a tattoo too, and he said "oh no, I'm not the tattoo type", and then continued that he rode on the back of his brother's red Harley everytime he rides it up from Las Vegas. Not exactly what I expected.

17309724-L.jpg

I brought a big fluffy towel with me and had my Canon 20D dSLR in a smallish holster case, both in my right saddlebag. Comfy and secure fit. Neither moved around much during the 75 mile ride through the Santa Cruz Mountains to the coast and back home to San Jose. I asked mom if she was ready to go, and I didn't hear a response, so I can only assume that she was really looking forward to it. I don't think there was any fear involved at all. Excitement, certainly. I was jazzed about going for this ride -- my mom's first and last motorcycle ride though my stomping grounds. I've been riding those roads since high school, and the memories were all streaming right through my helmet, faster than a 1972 BMW slash-5 approaches terminal velocity when dropped from an airplane.

I asked mom which way she wanted to go and I didn't hear any response. Probably because she didn't know the roads. I chose the route. Straight from the funeral home to my mom's house to take one last look.

17309857-L.jpg

Then we rode down the street to my middle school to check it out. I haven't been in that parking lot, since I was a pre-teen looking for trouble. :uhoh

17309790-L.jpg

My sister, Devora, attended La Entrada too. She was two years ahead of me, and I used to really like playing with her girlfriends. :wink

From La Entrada, I made a bee-line straight for Woodside. Both Devora and I attended Woodside High School. That's where I got my vehicular knowledge, and started getting into motorcycles, hotrods, etc. etc. Including heading up toward Huddart Park to drink Schlitz Malt Liquor at a buddy's house, then consider coming back to class (we usually didn't). Hey, my parents are gone now...I can tell the stories now, without worrying about getting in trouble. Or worse. :cool

Sandhill Rd to Whisky Hill Road and the Pioneer. I had some really good times at that bar. I think.

17309810-L.jpg

King's Mountain Road.

17309702-L.jpg

Obviously I wasn't the only rider doing his thing in the perfect weather today. It was in the 70's on the mountain and mid-80's here in the valley. This is March??

17309816-L.jpg

Across Skyline (35) and down Tunitas Creek Road west.

17309809-L.jpg

The GS was on autopilot. I didn't have to think about anything other than where to stop for photo ops and which road to take next. I think I dug into the ABS a few times, and had some wheelspin, but nothing too dramatic. 'Cept for that one bump going up Kings Mountain, where I can get great air in second gear :giggle It was truly zen (if I can imagine what "zen" is...), meditative. Relaxing. Copacetic.

17309738-L.jpg

My yings and yangs were singing harmoniously.

17309847-L.jpg

goddamn, i love those roads. i've been riding them since I was a 16yo punk riding one of my yamaha rd's. zinga zinga ding ding ding. The GS makes no such noise. It sounds like a large volume and satisfying flatulent barrrrroooooom! Stuck with the same number of cylinders tho.

She knows just what I like
The angel on my bike
She found me down on a two ton anchor
Tangled up in wire
She always gets it right
The angel on my bike
I could be killed if the train goes faster
Well angel watch my life

I can't handle a care
I want, but I can't be there
While angel's a prayer

It's 45 miles on that highway
Angel double prayer
I have to sleep with my eyes on the white lines
Elvis need of repair
I only wanted to believe
That angel it's me that you need
And there's only, only one heart on that highway
Angel double prayer

- Wallflowers

So I bolted down Tunitas Creek straight for the coast and a photo op. I thought it was going to be a quick run up the hill, pose mom, snappy snappy and on the road in 3 mins. No, I spent about 20 minutes standing there looking at the water breaking against the cliffs. It took about 10 seconds for the spray from a big wave to settle back down. That was some serious surf.

17309786-L.jpg

What a beautiful day. Stopping here reminded me of a ride I took with Crash and others a few years ago. I'm sure i've got a photo somewhere...

17309818-L.jpg

Stopped in San Gregorio to shoot my dgrin challenge 34 shot, and blasted straight up through La Honda and into Skylonda for a photo op in front of Alice's Restaurant.

17309711-L.jpg

Mmmm....we've had more than a few Advrider lunches up there. Again, I'm sure I have photos somewhere, but I'll spare our gentler readers of the disgusting and disturbing debauchery concerning the chili-pucks.

17309844-L.jpg

Finally, the GS was out of gas and so was I. We just slabbed it down to SJ on 280. Rolled into the garage and there was fishwife holding out an icy-cold SNPA for me. Fishwife rocks. :nod

17309771-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. And thanks in advance for any comments. I keep having this nagging feeling I'm forgetting to thank someone on vidiots, advrider, /5bs. So thanks...in advance. :)

the end. phew.
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    marvelous photo essay. well told, i feel like i was there with you and mom. great pics. thanks for sharing it with us!
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Thank you Fish for sharing your story and best wishes to you and yours.
    John
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Wow..that's some post there. Not sure what to say but thanks for the interesting reading!
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Our mom wouldn't let me have a minibike, gokart, or motorscooter. Period. Over her dead body. Fortunately, I didn't wait until then. I'm still not exactly sure how this played out, but I bought my first car, a 1970 AMC Javelin 360 when I was 16. I totaled it. So with the insurance money, I bought another 1970 AMC Javelin, but this one was a Mark Donahue special edition, complete with spoiler, special paint, functional hood scoop, and big motor. It was essentially an AMX, but longer. I totaled it. Dammit, I loved that car. The first one was a weak canary yellow with red interior. The Mark Donahue was white with black trim. It was fast and beautiful. I remember my dad drove me up to Brentwood, in the Sacto Delta, to buy four of the original steel wheels for that model (it had generic 5-slot mags on it when I bought it). Anyway, it was at this point that my dad refused to let me buy another car. So I bought a Puch moped. It got stolen from behind the waterbed store I worked at. So mom and dad drove me up to San Mateo Yamaha and I bought a beautiful little purple CS3 (RD200). I rode that for a long time, putting rearsets, chambers, and clubman bars on it. I crashed it. Gear? Helmet. no gloves, no boots, thin khakis, dress shirt. I became the sausage creature. When I recovered, mostly, I had to walk with a cane for a few weeks, so I'd asked my friend Jim-Bob to help me make the CS3 whole enough to ride. I bungied my cane to the seatpan on the side, so I could walk when I stopped. I think it was at that point, where I realized that I was always going to ride motorcycles. Mom and dad realized it too. My next bikes were serious...a few more Yam two-strokes, a Seca 550, Seca 650, FJ1100, and then I met fishwife and the beemer years started after my dad died in '96. Within a couple of months of his death, I bought a brand-spankin' new '97 Glacier Green R1100RT. The rest is another story for another time.

RIP Lillian Fishman (2005)
    RIP Bertha Koplowitz (2005)
    RIP Raoul Duke (aka Hunter S. Thompson) (2005)
    :(:
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Fish, a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

Ed
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    What a wonderful story. I read it twice. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad that you got to take mom on her first bike ride. It looks like you two had a really great day.

Thank you for sharing such a personal and private day.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    WOW! Talk about a great photo story of a great memory making trip. Sorry for your loss Fish. At least you and your mom got to spend one last day alone, bonding. As I read your story a tear ran down my face.

Regards,

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Oh Fish, what a wonderful photo essay. I loved the b&w shot, just beautiful. I felt like I was right there with you both, and tears streamed down my cheeks. Mom is truly proud of that ride she shared with you today. I am too, thanks for including me by sharing your photos and words. Oh, and your choice of Wallflowers lyrics was spot on!

I have to agree, Fishwife truly rocks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    BMWRiderBMWRider Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    A beautifully written piece, Fish.
    I admit ... I wept.
    Gorgeous pics too.
    God bless her. She raised a unique and very talented individual.
    Photographs are memories.
  • Options
    SnuffySnuffy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    That was a nice ride that you gave your mom. Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks for sharing your final ride with her.
    I was able to give my mom a ride many years ago and she really enjoyed it. Your storey brought back fond memories. Thanks
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    hey bro, im glad you finally got that ride with your mom. best wishes to you and the fishfam.
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 11, 2005
    Fish,

Glad you got that ride with mom and thanks for taking us along for
    the ride too.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Beautiful essay. Hope you are faring well, considering.thumb.gif
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    gordygordy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2005
    Very nice Fish.

Did you catch the movie, "Around The Bend" when it was out about 3 months ago? These guys took grandpa all around the southwest and scattered his ashes in various places that he always wanted to go. It seemed kinda crazy as a movie, but it actually is an idea that is growing on me.

My dad passed away 9 years ago and my mom still has his cremains in the cardboard box in her house. It was bugging me until I saw the movie, and now I think me and dad may go on a final road trip someday.

Keep strong,

Gordy
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Man, what a great story. I think that's a really nice thing you did for your mom. Love that photo of the ocean. Thanks for sharing your story with us Fish.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 12, 2005
    gordy wrote:
    Very nice Fish.

Did you catch the movie, "Around The Bend" when it was out about 3 months ago? These guys took grandpa all around the southwest and scattered his ashes in various places that he always wanted to go. It seemed kinda crazy as a movie, but it actually is an idea that is growing on me.

My dad passed away 9 years ago and my mom still has his cremains in the cardboard box in her house. It was bugging me until I saw the movie, and now I think me and dad may go on a final road trip someday.

Keep strong,

Gordy
    A friend of mine's dad passed away when she was very young. Her mom,
    a couple of years ago. She's on a road trip this week with the cremains of
    both parents. Taking them to the place they first fell in love and always
    wanted to go back to but were never able.

I think it's a great idea.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cRAsHcRAsH Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2005
    feesh wrote:
    Obviously I wasn't the only rider doing his thing in the perfect weather today.
    The only one with his Mom in the saddle bag tho, I'll bet... ylsuper.gif

Onya, mate. thumb.gif

32606-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    gussiegussie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Sweet report, fish. Making me homesick - I grew up on the same roads. Think I'll ride down from Jefferson to Aptos next week and give me ole ma a big hug.

Thanks.clap.gif
    "The man who cannot imagine a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot."
    Andre Breton
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    gordy wrote:
    No, I haven't seen that movie, but I'd like to.
    Excellent idea. Most of mom's cremains will be scattered over the pacific ocean in about a week, but I'm going to hold back a spice-jar's worth to scatter in some special places. I really like that idea and it's good for the soul. I did the same with my dad's cremains, when he died 9 years ago.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust and all that...
    Keep strong,

Gordy
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    cRAsH wrote:
    Onya, mate. thumb.gif
    probably. :giggle

That's the place, mang. That was almost four years ago.

9604-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    wow
    Thank you... I almost didn't make it through... Tough as steel (ex-militar) but can still cry like a baby rolleyes1.gif

May the best be with you and your loved ones...

kc7dji
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Fish,

I've nothing to say that would add to your story... I would just like to wish you and the fishes strength for the time to come.
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Thanks for sharing this story with us Fish.

I'm sorry about your mom. I lost mine a couple of years back and it was rough.

The hardest thing is watching my Dad live without her.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great pics Fish, obviously you HAVEN'T lost your touch, (told ya :D ).

She obviously enjoyed the ride. :): :):

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Nice ride report Fish.....Very moving and very well told...

Sorry about your loss..

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    Misery GoatMisery Goat Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2005
    Good report Fish, nice to see you celebrating the life..thumb.gif
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    Attaboy, fish. You've got some good perspective on the whole thing, my friend.
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    EtwinEtwin Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2005
    Life meets death in silence, but the sound and color of memory are sharpened by that one-sided silence, and with them, as you showed us here, the sound and color of the moment. And so, we journey on. God rest her sole, may her memory be for a blessing, for those she has left behind.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2005
    gussie wrote:
    Sweet report, fish. Making me homesick - I grew up on the same roads. Think I'll ride down from Jefferson to Aptos next week and give me ole ma a big hug.

Thanks.clap.gif
    Thanks gussie,

I've rec'd a ton of emails and PMs from this story and every single one of them has meant a great deal to me. Not only is it nice to know that people read and enjoyed my photo essay, but that it stirred emotions in them that ordinarily lie dormant until it's too late. Posts, emails, and PMs stating that the story spurred them to go give their moms phonecalls and/or hugs are the best. Do it NOW...don't wait until it's too late. Further, knowing that my essay made grown men cry means that my words and photos weren't just so many 1's and 0's that will float off into the ether. They became meaningful and emotional for others. My daughter would call this a "warm fuzzy."

Cheers...and thank you. biggrinbounce2.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    cRAsH wrote:

Onya, mate. thumb.gif

Thats my line ya big oaf crash !

Onya china....thumb.gif