Options

Google Maps API Issue

rdb4198rdb4198 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi All,

I recently signed up for SmugMug and am loving it. I enjoy all the great features it has to offer. I think the Google Maps API is really cool, but I am having a problem with it. I can add pictures to the map and I see the SmugMug icon, but when I click on the icon and it zooms in on the picture area it says there are 0 pictures there. Am I just missing something simple? Please help. Thanks in advance everyone!

-Rob

Comments

• Options
    GreenMeteorGreenMeteor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2008
    Missing google maps icons solved for Around the World
    rdb4198 wrote:
    Hi All,

I recently signed up for SmugMug and am loving it. I enjoy all the great features it has to offer. I think the Google Maps API is really cool, but I am having a problem with it. I can add pictures to the map and I see the SmugMug icon, but when I click on the icon and it zooms in on the picture area it says there are 0 pictures there. Am I just missing something simple? Please help. Thanks in advance everyone!

-Rob
    Hi Rob. I'm new to this too. I also had the same problem but I think I solved the issue with the google api.

My specific problem: The green icons would show up on the homepage 'around the world' map but not in the secondary google maps window after clicking on one of them.

My fix: The smileys seem to show up if you add any caption information to the photo. Perhaps others are not having this problem because mapped photos tend to have captions already. In my testing phase, I had none. Try it out. I would like to know if this solves the problem. My smileys showed up and I also got the mouseclick dialogue box with the pic and caption allowing me to jump into the gallery.
  • Options
    GreenMeteorGreenMeteor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2008
    fixed?
    Seeing that this post is over a month old, can anyone else confirm that this fix works?
  • Options
    jesseasijesseasi Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I too am having google maps issues....but
    Mine are probably not related - but I thought I would ask since my original post got little attention.

I have a few galleries where all the images in the gallery have the same exact location. But I think google is limiting the number of points to show up at 150.

Even though all my images have the same tag I think the 1st gallery that has over 150 images "uses up" all of my allocated 150 points.

Is there any way to limit this? Or select which images show up on the google maps?
  • Options
    evokingimagesevokingimages Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2008
    same problem with photos not showing up
    Hi all,

The same thing is happening when I try to view my images by going to either a little green SmugMug dot on the map only viewable (apparently) on my site. I get to the page where the map should be and I see four links that always seem to show up....the "rated in silicon valley", "two wheels to terror", "dgrin's world tour" and "eye on NYC". After that, there's a spinning icon that says "loading photos" that will never end. I don't know where it found the map that the image led me to.

I have about 20 images mapped now and have had to scoot the little icon over before committing to where it really was. Is this possibly the issue?

I am confused....
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    rdb4198 wrote:
    Hi All,

-Rob
    Hi Rob wave.gif

Most likely, it is a problem on our side; the images need to have at least one character in the caption for them to show up properly, I'm sorry. It can be a blank space as well.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    Seeing that this post is over a month old, can anyone else confirm that this fix works?
    Yep, the add caption trick should do it. It is known for quite a while, but still needs fixing. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    jesseasi wrote:
    Mine are probably not related - but I thought I would ask since my original post got little attention.

I have a few galleries where all the images in the gallery have the same exact location. But I think google is limiting the number of points to show up at 150.

Even though all my images have the same tag I think the 1st gallery that has over 150 images "uses up" all of my allocated 150 points.

Is there any way to limit this? Or select which images show up on the google maps?
    150 is indeed the limit and not changeable, sorry.
    There is no way to limit the number of photos showing that are taken in the same place.

Are all the images taken on exactly the same spot? I would not add geodata to all of them on Smug, just have one be the location for the entire gallery?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    Hi all,

The same thing is happening when I try to view my images by going to either a little green SmugMug dot on the map only viewable (apparently) on my site. I get to the page where the map should be and I see four links that always seem to show up....the "rated in silicon valley", "two wheels to terror", "dgrin's world tour" and "eye on NYC". After that, there's a spinning icon that says "loading photos" that will never end. I don't know where it found the map that the image led me to.

I have about 20 images mapped now and have had to scoot the little icon over before committing to where it really was. Is this possibly the issue?

I am confused....
    Hello wave.gif

There can be many things going on here, or a combination of things;

Please check that the galleries that contain the geo-tagged images have geography set to 'yes', hello smuggers to 'yes', hide owner to 'no', no password for the gallery, and that all images have a caption. (I may have left a setting out there, a lot of settings influence maps).

If that doesn't help you, please give me a link to one or two of the geo-tagged images that don't show up thumb.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hello wave.gif

There can be many things going on here, or a combination of things;

Please check that the galleries that contain the geo-tagged images have geography set to 'yes', hello smuggers to 'yes', hide owner to 'no', no password for the gallery, and that all images have a caption. (I may have left a setting out there, a lot of settings influence maps).

If that doesn't help you, please give me a link to one or two of the geo-tagged images that don't show up thumb.gif
    This gallery no photo thumbs will load in the map, just a spinning thingie for ever.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    MattsahibMattsahib Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hi all,

I am confused....

This is almost exactly what is happening to me. My gallery is set up as stated above all the galleries contain geo-tagged images have geography set to 'yes', hello smuggers to 'yes', hide owner to 'no', no password for the gallery, and that all images have a caption. I do get the little SmugMug map pin but once I click it I go to the large map and it takes me to the right locaiton but no photo to view or linked. My home page is here. A sample images that is geotagged is this one here.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Mattsahib wrote:
    This is almost exactly what is happening to me. My gallery is set up as stated above all the galleries contain geo-tagged images have geography set to 'yes', hello smuggers to 'yes', hide owner to 'no', no password for the gallery, and that all images have a caption. I do get the little SmugMug map pin but once I click it I go to the large map and it takes me to the right locaiton but no photo to view or linked. My home page is here. A sample images that is geotagged is this one here.
    Unlisted is set to 'yes' on that gallery. Needs to be 'no' thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    This gallery no photo thumbs will load in the map, just a spinning thingie for ever.
    I've seen that once before, and at that time it was caused by an illegal geo-location, or illegal (not EXIF 2.2 compliant) gps-version number if I remember correctly.

The only thing you can do, is to check the images one by one, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    I've seen that once before, and at that time it was caused by an illegal geo-location, or illegal (not EXIF 2.2 compliant) gps-version number if I remember correctly.

The coords where added to each photo not via EXIF.
    All entered like this below on the "Edit image geography coordinates" page
    under photo tools and it was working before the new security stuff was added.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    Is there anyway this can be done?
    I was so excited about Geotagging my photos and using Google earth on my SmugMug site - but I think the limitations I am seeing have deflated my excitement and I am wondering if I should just turn it off.

Is there anyway to set up my galleries - even outside of SmugMug (and try to link it to my SM site later) where I can have all my images show up on a map? The problem is I am shooting thousands of images? Here was my original plan which I am finding out will not work with SM.

I shoot a lot of sports - cycling events and field sports. I wanted people viewing my site to be able to click on each individual photo and see it in Google Maps the location where that image was shot (or group of images).
    Since SM has a 150 limit, its pretty much of no use to me. Is there any other ways to map these photos outside of SM...and possible link it back into my site?

Michael

Allen wrote:
    The coords where added to each photo not via EXIF.
    All entered like this below on the "Edit image geography coordinates" page
    under photo tools and it was working before the new security stuff was added.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    I was so excited about Geotagging my photos and using Google earth on my SmugMug site - but I think the limitations I am seeing have deflated my excitement and I am wondering if I should just turn it off.

Is there anyway to set up my galleries - even outside of SmugMug (and try to link it to my SM site later) where I can have all my images show up on a map? The problem is I am shooting thousands of images? Here was my original plan which I am finding out will not work with SM.

I shoot a lot of sports - cycling events and field sports. I wanted people viewing my site to be able to click on each individual photo and see it in Google Maps the location where that image was shot (or group of images).
    Since SM has a 150 limit, its pretty much of no use to me. Is there any other ways to map these photos outside of SM...and possible link it back into my site?

Michael
    Yes, this is possible. However, it requires custom coding. You have to set up a google map yourself, and not use the maps that we give you. It is not done a lot, but I have an example on my site.

The map could be posted on any page, SmugMug or not. It uses the feeds, so the galleries that you want to show have to have external links to yes, etc.

You also need to manually add each gallery to the map, when you create a new one.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    Additional questions.
    IVAR,
    I took a look at your map and I think it is pretty close to what I am looking to do. - Actually my optimal idea is to be able to click on an individual photo in a gallery and have that photo open up Google Maps and show its location on the map with or without the other gallery photos.

For example - say someone is looking at this photo
    http://mlkimages.smugmug.com/gallery/3449764_cWWST#193962878
    and they click on the "Map This" button and this photo (if it was Geotagged) would open up Google Maps showing it's location on Google Maps - hopefully with all the other photos from the gallery or sub catagory.

Let me ask this one question - is it possible instead of listing individual galleries to list a subcatagory instead? I'll shoot 20+ races a year with 3-4-5 galleries in each race. I list the race name by subcatagory and break out the individual galleries by catagories...so I'll end up with 60+ galleries - too many to show on a map as such.

Let me know what you think....and if it's possible without some extreme coding would you mind helping me out with it?

Michael

ivar wrote:
    Yes, this is possible. However, it requires custom coding. You have to set up a google map yourself, and not use the maps that we give you. It is not done a lot, but I have an example on my site.

The map could be posted on any page, SmugMug or not. It uses the feeds, so the galleries that you want to show have to have external links to yes, etc.

You also need to manually add each gallery to the map, when you create a new one.
  • Options
    MattsahibMattsahib Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    ivar wrote:

I have double check and all my geocoded photos are tagged in the EXIF data but I even tried to use the "map it" ability in SmugMug. Here is the method I used. I am getting very discouraged. My smiley pins show up on around the world section and whenyou click on a pin the viewer is taken to the location but the picture never shows up.

Viewing a geotagged photo was one of the major reasons I chose SM. I am starting to feel I made a mistake. I leave Sunday for a trip to Sumatra, Indonesia. I had wanted to be able to upload images during the trip to keep my bog readers up to date where I am and what I am shooting. I guess it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2008
    bump
    BUMP

IVAR,
    I took a look at your map and I think it is pretty close to what I am looking to do. - Actually my optimal idea is to be able to click on an individual photo in a gallery and have that photo open up Google Maps and show its location on the map with or without the other gallery photos.

For example - say someone is looking at this photo
    http://mlkimages.smugmug.com/gallery/3449764_cWWST#193962878
    and they click on the "Map This" button and this photo (if it was Geotagged) would open up Google Maps showing it's location on Google Maps - hopefully with all the other photos from the gallery or sub catagory.

Let me ask this one question - is it possible instead of listing individual galleries to list a subcatagory instead? I'll shoot 20+ races a year with 3-4-5 galleries in each race. I list the race name by subcatagory and break out the individual galleries by catagories...so I'll end up with 60+ galleries - too many to show on a map as such.

Let me know what you think....and if it's possible without some extreme coding would you mind helping me out with it?

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    Mattsahib wrote:
    I have double check and all my geocoded photos are tagged in the EXIF data but I even tried to use the "map it" ability in SmugMug. Here is the method I used. I am getting very discouraged. My smiley pins show up on around the world section and whenyou click on a pin the viewer is taken to the location but the picture never shows up.

Viewing a geotagged photo was one of the major reasons I chose SM. I am starting to feel I made a mistake. I leave Sunday for a trip to Sumatra, Indonesia. I had wanted to be able to upload images during the trip to keep my bog readers up to date where I am and what I am shooting. I guess it isn't going to happen.
    You have 'hello smuggers' set to 'no' in the control panel --> settings page. Change that and you should be fine thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2008
    You can make a map for every category "manually". It's basically making different maps and each one showing the photos of a certain category. You will still have to update the maps yourself each time you create a new gallery, but it should work no different. The 'map this' function you would loose, but you could put one back yourself with a bit of coding as well. I'm not sure about hitting a map this button and going straight to the right photo... That for sure would mean a lot of coding.

Here is the code that I used (this will not work on your pages, because of the site-specific key!)
      <**style type="text/css">
        .nophotos { display: none; }
        textarea {height: 400px !important;;}
      <**/style>

<**div id="map" style="width: 960px; height: 550px"></div>

******** type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/jsapi?key=ABQIAAAAvNje5ahPGUZElhlN3eVBQx-le809nGN8BnxPfC7NR6QPMaXxSQkeKibf-6TYQcyCyEgUbIWHQZpQ"></********

******** type="text/javascript">
        google.load("maps", "2.x");
        var map;

function initialize() {

function TextualZoomControl() {
            }

TextualZoomControl.prototype = new GControl();

TextualZoomControl.prototype.initialize = function(map) {
                var container = document.createElement("div");

var CastlesDiv = document.createElement("div");
                this.setButtonStyle_(CastlesDiv);
                container.appendChild(CastlesDiv);
                CastlesDiv.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Castles along the Rhine river (Germany)"));
                GEvent.addDomListener(CastlesDiv, "click", function() {
                      map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(50.15, 7.7), 10);
                });

var NaplesDiv = document.createElement("div");
                this.setButtonStyle_(NaplesDiv);
                container.appendChild(NaplesDiv);
                NaplesDiv.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Naples (Florida, USA)"));
                GEvent.addDomListener(NaplesDiv, "click", function() {
                    map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(26.14, -81.8), 14);
                });

var BeerDiv = document.createElement("div");
                this.setButtonStyle_(BeerDiv);
                container.appendChild(BeerDiv);
                BeerDiv.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Beerschoten (the Netherlands)"));
                GEvent.addDomListener(BeerDiv, "click", function() {
                    map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(52.109, 5.202), 16);
                });

var RadingDiv = document.createElement("div");
                this.setButtonStyle_(RadingDiv);
                container.appendChild(RadingDiv);
                RadingDiv.appendChild(document.createTextNode("Hollandsche Rading (the Netherlands)"));
                GEvent.addDomListener(RadingDiv, "click", function() {
                    map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(52.195, 5.1975), 15);
                });

map.getContainer().appendChild(container);
                return container;
            }

// By default, the control will appear in the top left corner of the
            // map with 7 pixels of padding.
            TextualZoomControl.prototype.getDefaultPosition = function() {
                return new GControlPosition(G_ANCHOR_TOP_LEFT, new GSize(7, 7));
            }

// Sets the proper CSS for the given button element.
            TextualZoomControl.prototype.setButtonStyle_ = function(button) {
                button.style.textDecoration = "none";
                button.style.color = "#000000";
                button.style.backgroundColor = "white";
                button.style.font = "small Arial";
                button.style.border = "1px solid black";
                button.style.padding = "2px";
                button.style.marginBottom = "3px";
                button.style.textAlign = "center";
                button.style.width = "8em";
                button.style.cursor = "pointer";
            }

map = new google.maps.Map2(document.getElementById("map"));
          map.setCenter(new google.maps.LatLng(40, -50), 3);
          map.addControl(new GLargeMapControl(),new GControlPosition(G_ANCHOR_BOTTOM_LEFT, new GSize(32,80))); 
          map.addControl(new GMapTypeControl());
          map.setMapType(G_SATELLITE_MAP);
          map.addControl(new TextualZoomControl());

var SmugXML00 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2753113&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML01 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=977602&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML02 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2484850&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML03 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2017547&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML04 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2337275&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML05 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=1066148&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML06 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=1066169&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML07 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=971648&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML08 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=1066170&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML09 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=977604&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML10 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=1066539&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML11 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2920685&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML12 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=2087165&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML13 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=3605034&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML14 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=3746974&format=kml20");
          var SmugXML15 = new GGeoXml("http://ivar.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=4187012&format=kml20");
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML00);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML01);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML02);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML03);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML04);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML05);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML06);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML07);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML08);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML09);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML10);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML11);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML12);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML13);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML14);
            map.addOverlay(SmugXML15);
        }

google.setOnLoadCallback(initialize);  
      </********

A good place for more information on the maps, is the Google AP documentation.