Options

I'm visiting Irvine California

jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
edited March 22, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi everyone,

I'm off to Irvine California for a week for work and was wondering what is worth a visit around the area - for photos and also just for visiting

I'll have very little time - looks like a Sunday when I arrive (tired) and then the evenings and otherwise a half Saturday before i have to shoot up to LAX to fly home.

Oh I hope to pick up a SB800 for my D80 when I'm there too... and maybe visit an Apple store :wink

Thanks for all tips and advice!
Jase

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2008
    Well, I was going to say that you're near Canon's West Coast Repair Center - but you're a Nikonian....so no thrill there for you.

You are close to Balboa Island, Newport Beach area - always fun to shoot from Balboa - take the ferry in the fun zone accross or take the harbor cruise and shoot from the boat. Walk the area - people and architecture, some birds too. In Irvine, you have the Irvine Spectrum - shopping mall there. And for an evening, I'd have to check and see, but, your are fairly close to Disneyland. Disneyland is one of the very best places to take a camera for practice - people, architecture, night shooting, activity from the characters and parade.
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I'm off to Irvine California for a week for work and was wondering what is worth a visit around the area - for photos and also just for visiting

I'll have very little time - looks like a Sunday when I arrive (tired) and then the evenings and otherwise a half Saturday before i have to shoot up to LAX to fly home.

Oh I hope to pick up a SB800 for my D80 when I'm there too... and maybe visit an Apple store mwink.gif

Thanks for all tips and advice!
    Jase
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Well, I was going to say that you're near Canon's West Coast Repair Center - but you're a Nikonian....so no thrill there for you.

You are close to Balboa Island, Newport Beach area - always fun to shoot from Balboa - take the ferry in the fun zone accross or take the harbor cruise and shoot from the boat. Walk the area - people and architecture, some birds too. In Irvine, you have the Irvine Spectrum - shopping mall there. And for an evening, I'd have to check and see, but, your are fairly close to Disneyland. Disneyland is one of the very best places to take a camera for practice - people, architecture, night shooting, activity from the characters and parade.

thanks for the tips!
    I'll have to go check our the Irvine Spectrum - want to get some things for my kids while i'm there :):

I'll check out Balboa Island - have to try to plan my time to fit in as much as possible

As for Disneyland - tempting - only thing is I think my kids my lynch me if they found out I went without them!!!! mwink.gif

Are Santa Monica or Newport etc. worth a visit? anything along that coast there?

Oh wow - just used google maps and yeah Balboa Island is really close! cool! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2008
    Egads - I have to ask but is Balboa Island really worth a visit?
    I got kinda scared when I looked on maps.google.com and saw - well there's not a single bit of land that hasn't got a house on it!? headscratch.gif

but hey not everything looks good from the air right - so i'm definitely keeping an open mind about it!

Any particular places to target there?

I was also looking at the different nature reserves in the area - seems like there are a few around :)

cheers
    Jase
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Balboa's worth a visit for sure. The Spectrum is nice shopping as is Fashion Island. The South Coast Plaza used to be a mall but has become a shopping Mecca for the uber-wealthy. Interesting people watching though they frown on cameras.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the artist's colony Laguna Beach. Definitely worth a visit. Newport Beach is also a blast. Santa Monica I can take or leave (as well as Venice) though they are a bit far north of you depending on how much free time you have. I'd leave a minimum of three hours to get there and back with traffic.

There's a Samy's in Santa Ana and a great old store called Cal's Cameras on Newport Blvd.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Well, I haven't joined the thread yet... :p

Yep, Laguna Beach would be a great place to go. As would the beach at Newport Beach, or just up the coast to Huntington Beach--near the piers are nice areas for hanging out. Santa Monica is on the other side of LA & a lengthy drive, I wouldn't bother considering the time constraints. Actually what would make a good trip would be to drop down the 133 to Laguna Beach, then take PCH (Hwy 1) up the coast to Huntington Beach or Seal Beach.

Balboa & Lido are cool places to visit. Yes, they are completely built-up, but lots of older houses. The downside is as I recall it is always fairly crowded (I know it was a PITA to drive to when the family had a house on Lido & a boat at the back end of Newport Harbor years ago).

For nature reserves, there's some down by Laguna Beach & the wetlands in HB.

Camera stores, well Cal's is neat to look at, but I don't buy anything there. They have to pay for the fancy renovations they did a few years ago & the uber prime location. I much prefer Samys off Bristol, Calumet by the McFadden entrance to the 55 (right by REI), and Irvine Pro Photo.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Anywhere along the coast line in California is a great place to be -- Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, etc. Basically, just go along PCH (highway 1).

261516334_YPp5W-L.jpg

The only thing that I would warn you is to watch the traffic on the freeways, especially during rush hour. Los Angeles and Orange County are known for gridlock.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    You've got to catch at least one west coast sunset at the beach!

Ok, I'm a south south county girl, so while Chris says take the 133 to PCH and head north, I'm biased and would tell you to take the 133 to PCH and head south! rolleyes1.gifJust kidding, some very pretty stretches of coastline along the PCH through Laguna to the south, and there are pretty stretches to the north also. But actually, depending on where in Irvine you are staying (especially if you are close to the airport) it might even be better/easier/faster to take MacArthur Blvd out to PCH, which would put you right at Corona del Mar and Newport, pretty much in between Laguna and Huntington Beach.

You didn't say what type of photography you are interested in, but f you like the beach, want to get away from the crowds, are willing to hike a little bit and want some good foreground interest in your sunset shots one of my favorite spots in the Newport area is Crystal Cove - I go in at Pelican Point (the northernmost access). It's a steep walk down the cliffs to the beach. If it's low tide when you visit, you can head north and scramble over the rocky point (it'll look like big folds of rocks with a jagged uprising at the end - very cool!) to the other side where you'll find some of the most fantastic tide pools with lots of sea creatures. Keep walking north until you see a little seacave at the base of the cliff. Go into the cave, spot the shaft of light and climb out hole on the other side to Little Corona del Mar beach. If the tide is low enough you might be able to get around that point, but it's more fun my way! On the other side walk a little farther and you'll find a wonderful rock arch in the ocean. It's extremely difficult to find parking any closer to this beach, and it's worth it to visit the tidepools by approaching from Crystal Cove. Lots of great ocean rock, too, if you get the right light. Make sure to check tide info first, you don't want an incoming tide to trap you out there.

My other favorite spot is in Laguna - a stone tower (La Tour) built in the 1920's right on the beach at Victoria Beach. Parking can be difficult for direct access to this beach also. I frequently park near the Montage Resort (the grounds here are wonderful and one of my favorite sunset shots was taken here) and use their steps down to the beach, then walk north to Victoria Beach (next beach over). You can't miss the tower, it's built right against the bluff and is gorgeous. Pack a picnic dinner and settle in to watch the changing light.

But you can't wrong with any of the coastline/beach in either of those two towns. Laguna Beach has tide pools and beautiful cliffs at many of its beaches, and the town itself is filled with art galleries and restaurants. It gets VERY crowded at night along PCH and the streets are packed with people, although it's still early enough in the year that it won't be quite as bad as it is during the summer.

Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach is a favorite of birders (and Huntington Beach is a great place to photograph surfers), as is Upper Newport Bay/Newport Back Bay - one of the finest bird watching/photographing spots in the country.

Mission San Juan Capistrano is an interesting place to visit and photograph. It's only a 20 minute drive from Irvine, unless you're trying to do it during rush hour.
  • Options
    Donna RyanDonna Ryan Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Santa Monica Pier
    Hi - I'm a Seattlite who just spent 2 weeks in the OC with my family (husband, 3 yr old daughter and D200). I agree with all the above must must add that by far my favorite spot to take pics was Santa Monica Pier. Although my favorite place to hang out was anywhere south of Newport.

OffTopic wrote:
    You've got to catch at least one west coast sunset at the beach!

Ok, I'm a south south county girl, so while Chris says take the 133 to PCH and head north, I'm biased and would tell you to take the 133 to PCH and head south! rolleyes1.gifJust kidding, some very pretty stretches of coastline along the PCH through Laguna to the south, and there are pretty stretches to the north also. But actually, depending on where in Irvine you are staying (especially if you are close to the airport) it might even be better/easier/faster to take MacArthur Blvd out to PCH, which would put you right at Corona del Mar and Newport, pretty much in between Laguna and Huntington Beach.

You didn't say what type of photography you are interested in, but f you like the beach, want to get away from the crowds, are willing to hike a little bit and want some good foreground interest in your sunset shots one of my favorite spots in the Newport area is Crystal Cove - I go in at Pelican Point (the northernmost access). It's a steep walk down the cliffs to the beach. If it's low tide when you visit, you can head north and scramble over the rocky point (it'll look like big folds of rocks with a jagged uprising at the end - very cool!) to the other side where you'll find some of the most fantastic tide pools with lots of sea creatures. Keep walking north until you see a little seacave at the base of the cliff. Go into the cave, spot the shaft of light and climb out hole on the other side to Little Corona del Mar beach. If the tide is low enough you might be able to get around that point, but it's more fun my way! On the other side walk a little farther and you'll find a wonderful rock arch in the ocean. It's extremely difficult to find parking any closer to this beach, and it's worth it to visit the tidepools by approaching from Crystal Cove. Lots of great ocean rock, too, if you get the right light. Make sure to check tide info first, you don't want an incoming tide to trap you out there.

My other favorite spot is in Laguna - a stone tower (La Tour) built in the 1920's right on the beach at Victoria Beach. Parking can be difficult for direct access to this beach also. I frequently park near the Montage Resort (the grounds here are wonderful and one of my favorite sunset shots was taken here) and use their steps down to the beach, then walk north to Victoria Beach (next beach over). You can't miss the tower, it's built right against the bluff and is gorgeous. Pack a picnic dinner and settle in to watch the changing light.

But you can't wrong with any of the coastline/beach in either of those two towns. Laguna Beach has tide pools and beautiful cliffs at many of its beaches, and the town itself is filled with art galleries and restaurants. It gets VERY crowded at night along PCH and the streets are packed with people, although it's still early enough in the year that it won't be quite as bad as it is during the summer.

Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach is a favorite of birders (and Huntington Beach is a great place to photograph surfers), as is Upper Newport Bay/Newport Back Bay - one of the finest bird watching/photographing spots in the country.

Mission San Juan Capistrano is an interesting place to visit and photograph. It's only a 20 minute drive from Irvine, unless you're trying to do it during rush hour.
  • Options
    fiatsurffiatsurf Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    There's an Apple store at Fashion Island (since you're looking for one!)... also, almost across (on Rochester right near the intersection with Newport Blvd.) from Cal's is a little place called The Used Camera Store that once-in-a-while has some interesting stuff. But Pro Photo is the place I go to around here if I need something substantial and want a good price. I still go to Cal's for basics (cleaning supplies, etc.). If there's weather like we had today (off-shore winds, sunny, gorgeous, warm), hit any beach. I live in Newport so am perhaps a bit biased but any beach around here would be good (if the weather holds) for sunsets, surf, birds, etc.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    Irvine spectrum may be nice. It's a private mall, so they may ask you to not shoot though. Laguna Beach and Fashion Island is nice as well. University of Irvine is large and has some interesting buildings as well.
    Downtown Disney in Anaheim is nice as well. Things are pretty well dispersed in the OC, so you may have to drive to any and all of these locations.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    Wow great recommendations from everyone! thumb.gif
    Thanks!!!

I might head up to Santa Monica as a friend from Oz is living there at the moment but otherwise i'm happy to avoid LA and driving there - although looks like I'm going to be driving a rental from LAX to Irvine.... not looking forward to that....

Unfortunately I just found out that Nikon's worldwide warranty is only for lenses... so looks like i'll have to pay more and buy it here in Switzerland to ensure I get the warranty .... *sigh*

I found out there is an Apple store in the Irvine Spectrum too - so that's going to be a must :D

Anyway - looks like i'll be heading down to the beaches and driving long PCH - sounds nice!!!

Just hope I don't get bogged down with work...

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming :)

Cheers
    Jase
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    Actually I think I may have just changed my Sunday plans mwink.gif

Joshua Tree is only 2hrs from Irvine!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    debairedebaire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2008
    I would say there isn't much in Irvine to shoot. It's rather sterile there. But the beaches are awesome and Santa Monica (Pier and 3rd St.) are worth visiting if you have the time. Basically, for photo ops, you'll need to drive outside of Irvine. thumb.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Actually I think I may have just changed my Sunday plans mwink.gif

Joshua Tree is only 2hrs from Irvine!! thumb.gif

:D There's a lot to shoot out there too. Joshua Tree obviously, then there's Palm Springs. They've done a lot recently to shed the old fogey golf haven image. Lots of art galleries & nice architecture on the main drag, several nice shooting locations (Living Desert, Indian Canyons, the Tram, warplane museum, etc.). That's easily a whole weekend or two.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2008
    :D There's a lot to shoot out there too. Joshua Tree obviously, then there's Palm Springs. They've done a lot recently to shed the old fogey golf haven image. Lots of art galleries & nice architecture on the main drag, several nice shooting locations (Living Desert, Indian Canyons, the Tram, warplane museum, etc.). That's easily a whole weekend or two.

Sounds great - unfortunately I have one Sunday after I arrive and then some evenings - that's it

The following Saturday evening I'm flying back - so probably try to catch up with my mate at Santa Monica that day

I'm really keyed up for this trip - i've never been to Cal before!!! wings.gif

Jase
  • Options
    sohotrightnowsohotrightnow Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    Honestly I would have to say that Laguna Beach is the best place for pictures in Orange County. It is very rich in culture. Salt Creek Beach is a pretty nice walk also if you don't want a lot of people.