Options

Selling Photos, Do I need releases?

oceanthrstyoceanthrsty Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited March 3, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have begun shooting events at bars/clubs in the area. In some cases I am working directly for the venue to provide pictures for their website. But in other cases they aren't interested in my services but they don't have a problem with me taking pictures.

So the idea is I go around take pictures and hand out cards. They check out the website the next day while recovering from the hangover. Search through the pics, find ones of them and pay a bit to print/download the pic.

Now my question is... am I missing anything? Any need for model releases, permission to put pictures of people up for sale, etc? :scratch

Thanks!

-Matt

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    I have begun shooting events at bars/clubs in the area. In some cases I am working directly for the venue to provide pictures for their website. But in other cases they aren't interested in my services but they don't have a problem with me taking pictures.

So the idea is I go around take pictures and hand out cards. They check out the website the next day while recovering from the hangover. Search through the pics, find ones of them and pay a bit to print/download the pic.

Now my question is... am I missing anything? Any need for model releases, permission to put pictures of people up for sale, etc? headscratch.gif

Thanks!

-Matt

Here's one source that might help you out http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html

I don't know if this guy is a legal expert on model releasees, but he sure has written a lot of interesting stuff on the subject.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange