Options

Upgrading to 40D....

2»

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2008
    Well, I visited B&H yesterday and looked at the 24-105L on my XT, and I also examined and tried the 40D in some detail. I surprised myself actually in the outcome.

I was leaning heavily toward the lens. I tried it on my XT, and it looked fine. It did not make the camera hard to hold, nor upset the balance that I could tell. Seeing the lens pop out as you zoom was surprising, as most of my lenses are internally focusing, but I got over it. It was not embarrassingly big like the 28-70 2.8, and it is of reasonable weight. I took shots at 1/35 and 1/15th that looked perfectly serviceable, at least on the LCD. Amazing. What a great lens.

Then I went and tried the 40D, with expert help showing me how to use it. the viewfinder was wonderful, and after using it a while, then looking thru my XT, I was shocked at how small the XT viewfinder is. I didn't think it felt too big, though when I first picked it up, it did feel large (I picked up the 1DMIII as well...that thing is silly big).

Then I discovered the 'killer feature' at least for me: I shoot primarily in Av or Tv mode, since it fits close to how I used a SLR for the last 25 odd years. I still miss the aperture ring terribly, but have learned to press the AV button on the XT and roll the adjustment spinner near the shutter release button. Not a aperture ring experience even remotely.

Then on the 40D, I was looking for the AV button. The guy helping me said "spin the big wheel on the back" . I did and WOW!! Aperture adjusted, and it was simple, and easy to do, in fact I might use manual more often. What a great feature, and for me, the killer, decision making thing. It is the small things that add up and make the difference.

And that was it: I am going to buy the 40D. I didn't while I was there, since I don't want to pay the NYC 10% sales tax, but I will in the next few weeks.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    mendocinomendocino Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2008
    cmason, Thanks!
    cmason wrote:
    mendocino:

Click 'You' near the Digital Grin Forum breadcrumb (look under the photo banner). Choose "Edit Signature", put whatever you like...experiment!

I have so much gear, much more than I probably should have for my experience level, but what the hey... I was bitten by the Photo Bug about 4 years ago when a young lady knocked on my door and said, "Hey Tom, you've always been into computers and electronic gear... here's a little Fuji camera I was given for my birthday (Christmas, Groundhog Day, whatever) and since I never use it I thought you might have fun w/ it..." so later that day, after finishing my web work I took said Fuji 3MP Point & Click (the 1st camera I've ever used) out for a walk and shot flowers along the three streets that make up my Pop. 454 burg. I went home; couldn't figure out how to get the pics from the camera to my computer using the software included, so decided to use DOS to transfer the files to the directory of my choice... got download done, opened up the pics.... BINGO!!! As they say, I've never looked back... my only sort of regret is that I didn't get bitten by the bug earlier in life, but heck... I love photography... Bresson, Adams, you, me, everyone who clicks is recording life... times... and having one of the most fun/unique experiences ever...

*sigh*

please forgive the rant; I think you all will cut me some slack, 'cuz you know what I'm talking about... :)
  • Options
    ipduffyipduffy Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2008
    Congrats!
    cmason: congrats on your choice / purchase(?). I know you will love the 40D! The more I use it the more amaze I am at its capabilities.