Options

Downtown

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited March 18, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Went shooting down town the other day with a new to me Canon 10-22, I love this thing. Anyways here's a few I liked:

263830194_VGQ7b-XL.jpg

Overkill:

263930274_jd6AD-XL.jpg

263817588_mMYni-XL.jpg

And since I can't resist flowers:

263786282_XPHb4-L.jpg

More can be seen here:
http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com/gallery/4484174_NCP5i#263817588

C&C always appreciated,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Went shooting down town the other day with a new to me Canon 10-22, I love this thing. Anyways here's a few I liked:
    Overkill:
    And since I can't resist flowers:

More can be seen here:
    http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com/gallery/4484174_NCP5i#263817588

C&C always appreciated,

Eric

Ahhhhhhhhh good choice Eric, I love the Canon 10-22mm too,
    aint it just a sweet piece of Glass, and boy can you fit an amazing amount in a shot,
    without having to step back to take the shot most times.

I like the first shot out of this lot, sharp as hu thumb.gif
    Actually the middle of that flower looks pretty dang sharp too.
    Can't say I've tried to shoot flowers with it.
    Your just gonna love this lens to bits you are Eric clap.gif

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your New Lens thumb.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2008
    I really like the colours in #3. The moss is so green against the red-ish background.
    I like the focus on your flower too!
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Liked them all, but I really liked your Overkill one. The colors and it being different made it stand out.
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Please Help Me Out Here
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    Went shooting down town the other day with a new to me Canon 10-22, I love this thing.
    I am deeply immersed in this avocation, but sports is my primary thing. But when I have no sports to shoot, I am still jonesing to be shooting and can think of a million little things that I'd be happy to shoot. These are really appealing images, but since the dialogue in the thread so far has centered on your particular lens, I checked it out. Can someone please give me the basics on using a wide-angle lens for close-up imagery? Links would be fine if this has been discussed before. Anyway I loved the shots.

Edit: I have a 24-105 f/4 that I bought as my "walking around" lens. Could I have gotten comparable results with that?

Re-edit: I just checked out everything in your gallery. It is so, so interesting; I can see that you shot many if not most at shorter focal lengths that I could do with the 24-105, so I guess that question is answered, but the wide angle/close up question continues to intrigue me. Also having now checked the photo info, I am interested in your aperture and exposure time combinations. Honestly, I could spend the rest of my life (when not shooting sports) happily walking around the NYC area shooting little things, so any education you would care to share would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    kangamanguskangamangus Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Nice shots!
    Great color on the flower!
    I really enjoy the white lettering on number one, makes hose connection really pop!

Are these edited? What are you using for editing?

I just picked up the same lense, took it to the Bahamas and had a blast with it!

Good choice in wide angle glass!!
  • Options
    DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Nice!
    Enjoyed each of them, but I'm very much into b&w so the first one reaaaaallly caught my attention. Nice tones & that cap looks like you could reach out & touch it. Also, the detail in that flower center is pretty impressive. Nice glass....you handle it well.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    These are nice. I like the pop of the first shot the most.
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2008
    Isn't the 10-22 a great lens!:D I bought mine to do an architectural shoot for my friend, it did a great job (the room in the link is about 25x35 feet.)
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I like these very much. You've shown me something to aspire to. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    1 and 2......Flawless! the first one is a wallhanger for sure clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I am deeply immersed in this avocation, but sports is my primary thing. But when I have no sports to shoot, I am still jonesing to be shooting and can think of a million little things that I'd be happy to shoot. These are really appealing images, but since the dialogue in the thread so far has centered on your particular lens, I checked it out. Can someone please give me the basics on using a wide-angle lens for close-up imagery? Links would be fine if this has been discussed before. Anyway I loved the shots.

Edit: I have a 24-105 f/4 that I bought as my "walking around" lens. Could I have gotten comparable results with that?

Re-edit: I just checked out everything in your gallery. It is so, so interesting; I can see that you shot many if not most at shorter focal lengths that I could do with the 24-105, so I guess that question is answered, but the wide angle/close up question continues to intrigue me. Also having now checked the photo info, I am interested in your aperture and exposure time combinations. Honestly, I could spend the rest of my life (when not shooting sports) happily walking around the NYC area shooting little things, so any education you would care to share would be most appreciated.

Since this was only my second time out of the house with this lens I'm sure there is more to know about this lens than I can explain.

I also have the 24-105 and use it all the time.

As far as the wide angle/closeup goes it has a minimum focusing distance of 9.5 inches where as the 24-105 has a close focusing distance of 1.48 feet. That's nearly twice that of the 10-22. I'm sure there is a technical reason for this but with the 10-22 I can darn near press the glass up to something, such as the flower, and still achieve focus. It seems that with the 24-105 I really have to back away and then zoom in. There by only focusing on my subject and not being able to include a good amount of background.

As far as the shooting subject, the hotel, I drive by this place at least once a day. I've done this for over 2 years. I'm always driving by at different times of the day so I get a good idea of how the light looks at different angles and times. I've also been reading "The moment it clicks" and while it's mostly about flash use it gave me a great tip. When shooting take the original picture your had in mind. Then take it from the right, left, over, and under. then turn around and see if you missed anything behind you. Since i knew what the building looked liked and had a few pics in mind I went there with this thought in my head. I had wanted to take pics of the boarded up windows and all the grown over ivy. Once I took those I started trying to find things that I might have missed just driving by. That is how I found the hose hookup and the chains/locks.

For the hose hookup I took a pic straight on with it on the top right hand thirds and didn't really like the way it looked. So I started to explore other angles. I finally came away with the pic I posted here.

As far as the settings I usually shoot in Av mode. So I selected a 4.5 hoping to keep most of the foreground in focus and blurring out the background. i then focused on the hookup and zoomed in and out until I found something that looked good.

Since I'm far from an expert I'm sure most of this seems like rambling but maybe it will answer your questions and help you to decide to pick up this wonderful lensclap.gif

I wish I had the shooting ops that NYC could provide. I'm sure you could find thousands of things to keep you busy with this lens.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

• Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    To everyone who replied thanks for the kind words and taking the time to let me know.

Eric

• Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:

I wish I had the shooting ops that NYC could provide. I'm sure you could find thousands of things to keep you busy with this lens.

Eric
    Yeah, like getting my camera fixed after mounting and using it! rolleyes1.gif I've since learned that EF-S lenses are not compatible with 1D bodies; but I'm sure there is something similar that will work, and the principles that you elucidated will remain valid. Once again, your shots were breathtaking -- some of the best I've seen here, which is meant only as a high compliment to you and not to disrespect anyone else's work.

PS my 24-105 was meant to be my "walking around" lens, and in some contexts it certainly will be, but I still think I may soon be breaking my "no new gear" New Years resolution for 2008!