Options

Placing a meta tag?

MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited March 19, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Ok, I've worked hard on creating a search engine friendly meta tag

Now, where to put it. Do I remember correctly that I can put this or should put this in my bio description? The last time I tried doing this, I borked up my code and the meta tag was physically showing up on my home page, yuk!!

Thanks in advance for your reply. This website building and search engine optimization is hard and tedious work... I'm banking on the idea that it's going to be worth the effort in the long run.
Markjay
Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
Canon 20D - no more film!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited February 21, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    Ok, I've worked hard on creating a search engine friendly meta tag

Now, where to put it. Do I remember correctly that I can put this or should put this in my bio description? The last time I tried doing this, I borked up my code and the meta tag was physically showing up on my home page, yuk!!

Thanks in advance for your reply. This website building and search engine optimization is hard and tedious work... I'm banking on the idea that it's going to be worth the effort in the long run.
    Put your descriptive info in your bio. If you put it inside a div that is defined as display: none; the info will be picked up by search engines but will not be visible on your home page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Example
    Denise, my brain is fried tonight!! :-)

Can you show me a coded example of it with a div?

Thanks!
    Put your descriptive info in your bio. If you put it inside a div that is defined as display: none; the info will be picked up by search engines but will not be visible on your home page.

--- Denise
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Like this?
    Like this?

<div id="hiddenDiv" style="display:none"></pre>
    Markjay wrote:

Thanks!
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Markjay wrote:

Thanks!
    Assuming that you want this info picked up by search engines but not seen on your homepage... In your CSS, add something like this:
    #myDescription {
        display: none;
    }

The in your bio - and I would put it at the beginning of your bio before any photos you might be showing there - (but remove the *'s!)
    <*div id*="myDescription">
    your descriptive text, as little or as much as you want, with good keyword-type words
    [B]<[/B]/[B]*[/B]d*i*v*[B]>[/B]

Does this help? Oh, and if you are not using your bio box to display anything then you don't need the div. For example, my slideshow is in my header, not in my bio box, and I keep my bio box hidden. So I just put the words I wanted picked up by the seach engines in my bio without a div to hide it.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Problem.........
    Ok, the code is not showing physically on the homepage... better start than my last attempt :-)

However, when I look at my html of my homepage, the following info is missing from the code (at least when I look at in with webdev html editor

the site / home page is www.360photostock.com

In my bio description it reads like this (I'm going to abbreviate just so you can see what "lines" are where and in what order)

div
    HTML
    HEAD
    TITLE
    meta name description
    meta name keywords
    Body
    H2
    Body
    Html
    Div

When I look at the source code for my homepage however, I am ONLY seeing the code that starts from that H2 and below. All the meta & meta are missing?

What did I do to cause those two important lines to be missing in action?

Assuming that you want this info picked up by search engines but not seen on your homepage... In your CSS, add something like this:
    #myDescription {
    }

The in your bio - and I would put it at the beginning of your bio before any photos you might be showing there - (but remove the *'s!)
    your descriptive text, as little or as much as you want, with good keyword-type words

Does this help? Oh, and if you are not using your bio box to display anything then you don't need the div. For example, my slideshow is in my header, not in my bio box, and I keep my bio box hidden. So I just put the words I wanted picked up by the seach engines in my bio without a div to hide it.

--- Denise
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Ok...... now........
    I have it right. I found the meta tags in my page source for the homepage.

There are RED / appearing in my source code. Are those not supposed to be there? Do I need to remove them? Or does that mean they are missing?

#myDescription {
    }

--- Denise
    Markjay
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    You are fine...
     <*meta name="description" content="Stock photos for print or digital download - business photos - images of everything from office items to strikingly beautiful scenics by Mark Javer

Are you tired of the same old stock photos everyone else is using over and over?
    If so, you've come to the right place. My name is Mark Javer, and for the last 10 years, I've specialized in helping my clients find the perfect photograph for web designers, business clients, and print advertising needs. No matter if you are a high volume content user or a once in a while need for licensed photos, I can help. I also do photography on demand or assignment.

Specialized and high quality, you won't find thousands of images on my site but, you will find high quality fresh ideas you can use to make your clients happy." />

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    In my bio description it reads like this ...
    div
    HTML
    HEAD
    TITLE
    meta name description
    meta name keywords
    Body
    H2
    Body
    Html
    Div
    Be careful, you can't use HEAD or Body and not sure of the others in your bio, they are
    already defined on a page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    REally
    I didn't realize this!

Shall I be removing that info from my bio section?

It doesn't appear to be causing any problems that I'm aware of.... yet.

Where are they defined or should I say on what page?

Allen wrote:
    Be careful, you can't use HEAD or Body and not sure of the others in your bio, they are
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    Would like to understand more
    I removed Head & Body

but I'd really like to learn / understand what happens when that is left in the bio... what problems can it cause?

Thank you for giving me the heads up on that!

Allen wrote:
    Markjay
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Well, not exactly "fine".

My meta name keywords are not showing up in the view page source?

But, Smugmug's are :-(
    Andy wrote:
    You are fine...
     <*meta name="description" content="Stock photos for print or digital download - business photos - images of everything from office items to strikingly beautiful scenics by Mark Javer

Are you tired of the same old stock photos everyone else is using over and over?
    If so, you've come to the right place. My name is Mark Javer, and for the last 10 years, I've specialized in helping my clients find the perfect photograph for web designers, business clients, and print advertising needs. No matter if you are a high volume content user or a once in a while need for licensed photos, I can help. I also do photography on demand or assignment.

Specialized and high quality, you won't find thousands of images on my site but, you will find high quality fresh ideas you can use to make your clients happy." />

Markjay
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    I removed Head & Body

but I'd really like to learn / understand what happens when that is left in the bio... what problems can it cause?

Thank you for giving me the heads up on that!
    You posted you had this in your bio
    div
    HTML
    HEAD
    TITLE
    meta name description
    meta name keywords
    Body
    H2
    Body
    Html
    Div
    If you post this in the customize forum between code tags we could see maybe this. All the bold names are already defined and can't be used.

<div id="myDescription">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>
    <meta name description...
    <meta name keywords...
    <Body ...
    <h2>bunch of text....</h2>
    </Body>
    </html>
    </div>

All you need is this

<div id="myDescription">
    all my text
    </div>
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    Thanks
    Thank you, I'm learning :-)
    Allen wrote:
    You posted you had this in your bio
    div
    HTML
    HEAD
    TITLE
    meta name description
    meta name keywords
    Body
    H2
    Body
    Html
    Div
    If you post this in the customize forum between code tags we could see maybe this. All the bold names are already defined and can't be used.

<div id="myDescription">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>
    <meta name description...
    <meta name keywords...
    <Body ...
    <h2>bunch of text....</h2>
    </Body>
    </html>
    </div>

All you need is this

<div id="myDescription">
    all my text
    </div>
    Markjay
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Not Working for Me
    In my CSS I put:

#mySearchwords {
    }

Then on the top of my bio before anything else I put:

div id="mySearchwords">
    blah blah blah blah blah
    /div>

Except the < 's precede div> and /div>.

Now the div tags don't show on my bio but all the keywords do.

What's up with that?

Chuck Cannova
    http://chuckinsocal.SmugMug.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    In my CSS I put:

#mySearchwords {
    }

Then on the top of my bio before anything else I put:

div id="mySearchwords">
    blah blah blah blah blah
    /div>

Except the < 's precede div> and /div>.

Now the div tags don't show on my bio but all the keywords do.

What's up with that?

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck -
    This is what I see at the end your CSS:
    div #photoBox .photosize_Thumb
    #mySearchwords {
    }

When I run that through the CSS validator, it shows as
    div #photoBox .photosize_Thumb #mySearchwords { 
    display : none;

} 

As in it's being interpreted as one continuous definition, so I think that the div referencing mySearchwords alone is being ignored. I'm not sure what your intent is with the div #photobox line. I'd take it out and see if your #mySearchwords starts to behave as you expect.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Bingo!
    That did the trick ... I don't know what that line was for either ... it probably goes back to the beginning when I was trying to accomplish something or other.

So, if I put that div in all my gallery descriptions, would it increase my search results?
    Will the Keyword Spam Police come and take me away?

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    That did the trick ... I don't know what that line was for either ... it probably goes back to the beginning when I was trying to accomplish something or other.

So, if I put that div in all my gallery descriptions, would it increase my search results?
    Will the Keyword Spam Police come and take me away?

Chuck Cannova
    No, it wouldn't help. The bio box text is special in that it is presented in a way that gets pulled in by the search engines. I'd recommend using the gallery description box to describe the galleries and not to repeat the keywords from your bio box.

You are keywording your photos, right?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Well ... I have been a little lax in keywording my photos lately ... my bad .

Are you saying that the search engines only look at the bio page for keywords and not the gallery descriptions?

What would happen if I copied and pasted all my keywords into each of my photos, or at least some of them? Would that increase my search results? Would that create a problem anywhere?

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Well ... I have been a little lax in keywording my photos lately ... my bad .

Are you saying that the search engines only look at the bio page for keywords and not the gallery descriptions?

What would happen if I copied and pasted all my keywords into each of my photos, or at least some of them? Would that increase my search results? Would that create a problem anywhere?

Chuck Cannova
    No - the bio box is special. If you look for your site on a search engine, you will see the text from your bio box under the link to your site. When I search for Denise Goldberg, I see the name of my site plus my bio text.

The gallery descriptions are used, as are the photo keywords - but you should not repeat the same keywords on all of your photos. Take a look at this page in the wiki for more hints - http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability. Use relevant keywords, don't repeat the same keywords in all photos. I think that will be seen as keyword spam.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Don't use the same keywords in every photo?
    Ok, I do understand that if you put the word stock photo into the IPTC tag on every photo as a keyword, it might be viewed as spam.

However, if I have 12 photos of roses, how do I avoid putting the word rose or roses as keywords in those photos? Will the search engines see my using the word rose as spam in a dozen or two photos? Ofcourse, the keyword could just as easily be any other but, I hope you understand what I'm asking here?

Thanks in advance for your reply/ies

No - the bio box is special. If you look for your site on a search engine, you will see the text from your bio box under the link to your site. When I search for Denise Goldberg, I see the name of my site plus my bio text.

The gallery descriptions are used, as are the photo keywords - but you should not repeat the same keywords on all of your photos. Take a look at this page in the wiki for more hints - http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Maximize+Search+Engine+Findability. Use relevant keywords, don't repeat the same keywords in all photos. I think that will be seen as keyword spam.

--- Denise
    Markjay
  • Options
    jovusajovusa Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Title Tags
    I've just registered on the google search engine and I'm not sure where "title Tags" or "Meta Tags go and how to add them.