Options

Standing Tall On The Prairie

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited March 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
This is the KVLY station in Blanchard, ND. (Silver structure) It is the tallest man made structure in the world as of today. Standing at 2,063 feet. The Warsaw Radio Mast was the tallest till it collapsed in 1991. That stood at
2,121 feet. Dubai is building a free standing structure now and when finished it will stand at 2,297 feet.

This photo was taken on a very windy cold day. So I just drove up, hopped out of the car and snapped a quick photo not taking the time to set up my tripod. I do hope to return there this summer when the field by it is planted and there are some nice clouds in the sky. And yes...no wind :D

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Interesting. Had no idea about it. Its hard to get a feel for that kind of
    height out of the photo. Good news is nearly none of the photos I see on the
    net are getting much better than what you have here. :D Please take that
    as the compiment it is meant to be.

So this structure is roughly 500 feet taller than the CN tower in Canada.
    Amazing.

For perspective I had to look at the CN tower. Hope this link is ok?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CN_Tower_from_Lake_2002.jpg

Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Nice capture DogDots...........I'd hate to be the guy that changed out the light bulb on the top of it. azzaro
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Interesting. Had no idea about it. Its hard to get a feel for that kind of
    height out of the photo. Good news is nearly none of the photos I see on the
    net are getting much better than what you have here. :D Please take that
    as the compiment it is meant to be.

So this structure is roughly 500 feet taller than the CN tower in Canada.
    Amazing.

For perspective I had to look at the CN tower. Hope this link is ok?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CN_Tower_from_Lake_2002.jpg

Michael

The photo you linked to shows off it's height with the buildings next to it. I wish I was so lucky to have that next to the tower photo I took. Hopefully with the fields planted and maybe me standing someplace else it may help show the size of this one. I took a few photos from the main road, but the tower gets lost in the sky so easy.

The guide wires were of interest to me as there are so many and they are so thick. There were only three sets of them---none posted SE for support. Just South, Northeast and Northwest.

Thank you for taking a look - and the compliment :D
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Azzaro wrote:
    Nice capture DogDots...........I'd hate to be the guy that changed out the light bulb on the top of it. azzaro

That has me wondering now....who does change the light?
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    This is the KVLY station in Blanchard, ND. (Silver structure) It is the tallest man made structure in the world as of today. Standing at 2,063 feet. The Warsaw Radio Mast was the tallest till it collapsed in 1991. That stood at
    2,121 feet. Dubai is building a free standing structure now and when finished it will stand at 2,297 feet.

This photo was taken on a very windy cold day. So I just drove up, hopped out of the car and snapped a quick photo not taking the time to set up my tripod. I do hope to return there this summer when the field by it is planted and there are some nice clouds in the sky. And yes...no wind :D

Hmmmmm my aerial is just 2,033 feet shorter than that one eek7.gif
    How come they don't just use a dish? I know nothing about these things,
    or do dishes and towers do different things ??? headscratch.gif

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    I lived in N Dakota for 2 years (Minot AFB), the wind never stops!:D
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2008
    achambers wrote:
    I lived in N Dakota for 2 years (Minot AFB), the wind never stops!:D

Oh your so right...the wind sometimes never stops. Right now it's gusting to 29...calmed down some from earlier :D

And Skippy...I don't know why they don't use a satellite dish headscratch.gif Must be some reason for that. I'm really curious now. I'm going to have to find out why.
  • Options
    PUREVILPUREVIL Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2008
    Wow its nice to see fellow N Dakotans here. I have never seen this tower in person maybe this summer on my way to Fargo I will stop by. BTW Im from Minot as well.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    PUREVIL wrote:
    Wow its nice to see fellow N Dakotans here. I have never seen this tower in person maybe this summer on my way to Fargo I will stop by. BTW Im from Minot as well.

Hello PUREVIL in Minot---hows the weather up there :D Fargo is cold...I don't think winter is ever going to end.

Hope you get a chance to see it.
  • Options
    PUREVILPUREVIL Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hello PUREVIL in Minot---hows the weather up there :D Fargo is cold...I don't think winter is ever going to end.

Hope you get a chance to see it.
    Its sunny and high of 40... yesterday it was 55 but very windy, otherwise would have been a nice day if it wasn't for the 40 mph wind gusts.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Hey, I've seen that before! A long time ago. My mom grew up on a farm in the Clifford / Galesburg area. My grandparents are gone now, but my aunt and uncle still live out there. Small world!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2008
    PUREVIL wrote:
    Its sunny and high of 40... yesterday it was 55 but very windy, otherwise would have been a nice day if it wasn't for the 40 mph wind gusts.

We had the wind to...nasty stuff. And you have sun :cry we don't. But I did get out yesterday in all the wind to snap a few photos from the car. Even got an Eagle sitting in a field :D