Tripod/ Motorcycle question

bsquaredbsquared Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 2, 2008 in Accessories
Before you beat me over the head with "why the #$%@# don't you pull your head out and use the search function!?!?"; I did and spent over an hour looking for info to no avail. I found a single thread that addressed motorcycles and tripods but it did not answer my question....

I am looking for a tripod, which will suit my growing needs and yet meet some specific parameters:
- I want a tripod setup that will collapse down small enough to pack into my moto luggage (16" collapsed max, preferrably shorter)
- I am 6'2" and would like to get something that won't require stooping
- I have a P.O.S. sunpak that I bought for use with a point and shoot a couple of years ago but it is proving insufficient with my current setup
- Current setup is an Oly E-510 with the kit lenses (14-42mm and 40-150mm)
- I understand the idea that you get what you pay for, but there is also a competing idea that not everybody needs or wants to drive a Ferrari. I am looking for the Toyota truck of tripods I think.

So could you please recommend a tripod that you would get were you in my shoes? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    bsquared wrote:
    Before you beat me over the head with "why the #$%@# don't you pull your head out and use the search function!?!?"; I did and spent over an hour looking for info to no avail. I found a single thread that addressed motorcycles and tripods but it did not answer my question....

I am looking for a tripod, which will suit my growing needs and yet meet some specific parameters:
    - I want a tripod setup that will collapse down small enough to pack into my moto luggage (16" collapsed max, preferrably shorter)
    - I am 6'2" and would like to get something that won't require stooping
    - I have a P.O.S. sunpak that I bought for use with a point and shoot a couple of years ago but it is proving insufficient with my current setup
    - Current setup is an Oly E-510 with the kit lenses (14-42mm and 40-150mm)
    - I understand the idea that you get what you pay for, but there is also a competing idea that not everybody needs or wants to drive a Ferrari. I am looking for the Toyota truck of tripods I think.

So could you please recommend a tripod that you would get were you in my shoes? Thanks in advance.

If the tripod you just described were available
    in a non ferrari version everyone would have one.

But seriously. The dimensions 16" max
    length folded and ~6ft length extended
    require you to buy a expensive tripod
    (with detachable head) otherwise it
    will neither meet your growing needs
    (whatever they are) nor will it be a
    stable support.

The best thing (to save money and
    frustration) you can do is buy the
    right tripod in the beginning. Here's
    why and how to find out which one
    that is:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

I'd recommend to checkout the Gitzo
    Basalt line/Traveler Titanium. There
    are some small and light ones with
    4 section legs.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I was looking for the similar tripod as you are searching for.

Finally I settled with the SLIK AMT Pro 340DX which is 19" at total collapsed and max height at 60" with the center column extended. It is solid enough to suppor the weight of the 5D and 70-200 F2.8 IS with 2X TC and 550EX Flash ( total 4.5 kg). I bought it as it was on sale at US 100 only. It is good enough to put inside the carry on trolley luggage or mounting on my Lowepro AW II backpack without extending out too much.

It is not advisable to extend the center column to the max height as it will not be stable.

Please do let me know if you are able to find your ideal tripod, I am still looking for it.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 1, 2008
    I picked up a Gitzo Reporter which collapsed to a reasonable size. Enough to
    fit in my side cases. For it's size, it's also fairly compact. However, it wasn't
    nearly as tall as I'd like and that was the trade off I made.

If you can use an alternate with the bike, something like a Gorilla Pod, you can
    set up on the bars using the height of the bike (or what ever you wrap it around)
    to your advantage. This option would allow you to have a very small but
    flexible support.

Otherwise, if you carry a dry bag, just stuff a regular 'pod in that. I've been
    doing more of that lately. The reason for doing that is that a tripod is fairly
    rigid and it can be difficult getting all your 'stuff' into the cases along with the
    tripod.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    I purchased a Manfrotto 728B to be able to carry it in my Goldwing's saddlebags and/or trunk.

Here's the link to B&H's listing of this tripod.

I bought it for a 4700 mile trip to California and back. I used it (1) time on that trip. Although it worked fine, I could have allocated that space and monies to something else.

On a long trip, my bikes pretty well packed to the hilt, so, the tripod was buried on the very bottom each and every time I stopped for the night to camp, then repack early in the morning. For me, it just wasn't feasible to dig it out for a shot here and there. ne_nau.gif

Averaging 470 miles per day, every day for 10 days, you can see why I didn't have much time for tripod shots. rolleyes1.gif

I'm not saying "don't take a tripod along on a motorcycle trip", but just think about how your packed and how much tripod shooting time you'll really have.

BTW, I have used this tripod a few times since and it's OK if you don't need anything real stable. Meaning: If its windy, this ain't your best bet.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Take a look at the Giottos Tripods...they are well built and mine is a 4 section.....prior I had been using manfrottoa.bogen and found them too tall when compacted...too tall when attached to my backpack and trying to enter trains or trolleyies or buses in Europe and also too long trying to bungee it to my MC......now I have a Giottos MT9180.....still using the same manfrotto/bogen ball head (322rc2)....but for all practical purposes this is a great Tripod and doesn't stick waaaaay up above my head when attached to my LowePro Pro Trekker AW backpack.........Giottos makes some really great 'pods for those not wanting to pay or those who just cannot pay for a Ferrari......They may be more like a Dodge DAkota than a Toyota.....unless you're referring to the Tundra:D
    BTW....if your ging to be using a t'pod while riding I find it easier to either attachto my back pack or bungee to side of MC for quik access, ofcourse I am riding an '83 Suzuki GS850.....I know it's old but it has less than 17K original miles.....

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bsquaredbsquared Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I decided to just go with a gorillapod for the bike and get a B/M setup for everything else. The pods that were big enough and folded short enough were just too much coin for me to think about. Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 2, 2008
    I have all this fancy camera stuff and honestly, i just take the sd800 with me most
    of the time. Lanyard. Front pocket of my jacket.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    I have a tripod that doesn't fold down really small.

To carry it on my motorcycle, I strap it to my tail bag with a couple of bungee cords. The tail bag is tall enough that the stand is mounted vertically. No problems so far.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
    www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly