Options

Help, I dropped my flash....

craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited April 11, 2008 in Accessories
Hi all, I was hoping you might be able to help me with this.

I dropped my Canon 430ex on the track at Dover. It's not worked since...Is there anyway to fix it? I guess what I mean is would it be cost effective to send it to Canon to see if it can be fixed? Please share your experience with me!

Thanks!
Tracy :rofl
Canon Stuff
www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited April 10, 2008
    Tracy,

I do suggest that you send the flash back to Canon. They should give you an estimate before repairs so you can make the decision to repair or not.

Add a note explaining your wishes if you feel the need.

Is there any chance the unit is still under warranty? If so, be sure to include copies of any paperwork supporting the warranty.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    A similar thing happened with my Nikon SB600 flash. I dropped it, and it completely stopped working.

I sent it to Nikon. I didn't tell them I dropped it, I just told them "it stopped working" rolleyes1.gif after their inspection they said the repairs were NOT covered under warranty and said it would be $100 to fix (a new flash would be $185) so I had them fix it and its worked great ever since.

However, I should say in my limited experience with both Nikon and Canon's repair centers, I've found Canon more willing to fix things for free than Nikon.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. It's definitely not under warranty. I got it second hand. I will check out what Canon says and see if its worth it. I need to upgrade anyhow so if it turns out not to be cost effective, Ill just save for the 580ex....
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Does it not come on at all?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Yep....It comes on and the lights light up but no whirring or flashing....
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2008
    Sounds like what my 580 did when the bulb stopped working. Probably (hopefully) just the bulb needs to be replaced. Mine was free but under warranty.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com