Options

World's largest tree

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 19, 2008 in Landscapes
We were in California today and took a litltle day trip out to some very tall trees. This one is the world's largest--not tallest or widest but most mass. It is 275 hight and 36 feet in diameter at the base.

281383633_V5h7c-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Josh
    nice pic, thumb.gif that is one big tree. Is that snow in the foreground? 75° here today down to 35 tonight. [Spring time]?

John
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Is that just south of Kings Canyon? I think I was there in '98 or so.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]General Sherman at Sequoia bt chance? :D Nice job!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Is that just south of Kings Canyon? I think I was there in '98 or so.

Don

Yes, Sequoia (sp?) National Park
    jsmiley wrote:
    Josh
    nice pic, thumb.gif that is one big tree. Is that snow in the foreground? 75° here today down to 35 tonight. [Spring time]?

John

It is 80 degrees in Fresno where we are staying, but 400 ft above sea level too. I think 6000 ft plus where these trees are.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Yes, Sequoia (sp?) National Park

It is 80 degrees in Fresno where we are staying, but 400 ft above sea level too. I think 6000 ft plus where these trees are.
    That was it! And at 6000 Ft plus there is still snow. We when we were at King's Canyon in May of that trip there was 6 inchec of fresh snow above 4000 ft and fresh Strawberries in the fields in the valley!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Now that is a big tree :D

I've always wanted to go there, but everytime I'm in California I just don't make the time. Hopefully next time.
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Whys there a fence around it... that kinda bugs me... and it goes along with me trying to take photos of something along jones beach tonight, and a cop stopped me and said "you cant park there" THERES NO WHERE TO PARK.

Whatever happened to letting us ENJOY nature. Fences around things, no parking here no parking there, no access there, its liek we have to PAY MONEY to ENJOY NATURE.Grrrrrrrrrrr Sorry im just in a bad mood after my attempt to photo stuff tonight came down to "your not allowed here at night"
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]General Sherman at Sequoia bt chance? :D Nice job!
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

indeed!
  • Options
    david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I once in Australia and similarly saw a massive tree with a hugh girth and was known to be the world widest girth. How awesome is nature.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    david-low wrote:
    I once in Australia and similarly saw a massive tree with a hugh girth and was known to be the world widest girth. How awesome is nature.
    In Tasmania ? It was about the same size & was killed a few years ago by greed & incompetence.

El Grande was going to be logged in 2002 before volunteers discovered it and reported it to Forestry Tasmania. Forestry then “protected” the tree by applying management prescriptions but proceeded with a forestry burn that got out of control. The tree was burnt and subsequently died.

End Quote
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2008
    david-low wrote:

yeah, they were very careful how they described this as the world's largest: not the world's tallest; not the worldest widest; the most mass.