Options

matching colors

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited April 22, 2008 in Finishing School
let's say I have two pictures of the same person, taken under different lighting conditions. i want to adjust the color so that their skin is the same color. What is the best/easiest way to do that. it is OK with me if it affects the over all color of the whole image.

Comments

• Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Josh, do you have raw camera files, or rendered files such as JPEG or TIFF? In Photoshop it will depend on how different the WB and exposure was between the two shots and how the image responds to certain edits over others...too hard to say without an example of each (possible steps include the match image command, curves, channel mixer, apply image, Lab mode vs. RGB, visual and info palette evaluation etc).

Regards,

Stephen Marsh
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    let's say I have two pictures of the same person, taken under different lighting conditions. i want to adjust the color so that their skin is the same color. What is the best/easiest way to do that. it is OK with me if it affects the over all color of the whole image.

Easiest (fastest), least damaging is to do this with the Raw converter.

If you have Lightroom, a little known feature is the Match Total Exposures option, but you can also copy/paste any or all the metadata corrections (sync) one or 1000 images with a few mouse clicks. Same with Camera Raw using the filmstrip.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Easiest (fastest), least damaging is to do this with the Raw converter.

If you have Lightroom, a little known feature is the Match Total Exposures option, but you can also copy/paste any or all the metadata corrections (sync) one or 1000 images with a few mouse clicks. Same with Camera Raw using the filmstrip.

let me explain a made up situation. Let's say I have two pics. One shot indoors with a flash. the other indoors under tungston. AWB on both. I want to say to photoshop: make the skin color of this one match the skin color in that one and I don't care what it does to the rest of the photo. I don't want to do any selecting; just push the color till A matches B.