Options

My Dream Backpacker Camera

2»

Comments

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Im a big guy (still run daily) & did my share of military loads as a weapons rate & ships diver... no way on gods green earth could i carry 80kg in a backpack for a length of time.

I guess I should mention that I'm 100kgs and have grown up in the mountains. 80kgs on my back isn't all that different than 40kgs on the 60-70kg guys.. :) Do your deadlifts, eat your bacon and walk a lot with a dead heavy backpack.

(as a reference, the special ops rangers in Norway usually carry 95-105kgs on their Afghanistan (or other places) missions. most of it being ammunition and water, and they are in the 75-85kg bodyweight range).

But I was not suggesting that he should bring 80kgs of equipment on a hike, just 2-3kgs more (in camera gear). If you have a safe supply of water where you are hiking, freezedried food (drytech or something), lightweight microfiber towel, some socks, some compeed, a light sleepingbag/jerven cloth and some extras, I doubt that you'll end up with more than 15-25kgs, and that should be doable, not super-duper-comfortable and "I can run around as i want", but not "I'm dying" either.
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    I guess I should mention that I'm 100kgs and have grown up in the mountains. 80kgs on my back isn't all that different than 40kgs on the 60-70kg guys.. :) Do your deadlifts, eat your bacon and walk a lot with a dead heavy backpack.

(as a reference, the special ops rangers in Norway usually carry 95-105kgs on their Afghanistan (or other places) missions. most of it being ammunition and water, and they are in the 75-85kg bodyweight range).

But I was not suggesting that he should bring 80kgs of equipment on a hike, just 2-3kgs more (in camera gear). If you have a safe supply of water where you are hiking, freezedried food (drytech or something), lightweight microfiber towel, some socks, some compeed, a light sleepingbag/jerven cloth and some extras, I doubt that you'll end up with more than 15-25kgs, and that should be doable, not super-duper-comfortable and "I can run around as i want", but not "I'm dying" either.
    Im 112 kg & grew up in mountains also & run every day with a large back pack to work...sorry mate but i dont believe anyone carries 105 kg back packs let alone 80kg... 105 kg is 231 lb for the non metrics. Its not possible (ligaments/back discs etc). You say it is ...i say it isnt. We will have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Im 112 kg & grew up in mountains also & run every day with a large back pack to work...sorry mate but i dont believe anyone carries 105 kg back packs let alone 80kg... 105 kg is 231 lb for the non metrics. Its not possible (ligaments/back discs etc). You say it is ...i say it isnt. We will have to agree to disagree.

So, what you are saying is: I'm lying, your bodily limits should be applied to the rest of the world and most special forces around the world are liars too?

gotcha..
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    "weather-sealed" DSLR (e.g. Oly E-1, Canon 40D)
    gus wrote:

I do agree that overweighted backpack are dangerous to our body. It is not recommend to do it.
    Unfortunately, sometimes that is not our own choice. During training days, the staff sgt just want to push the limit.
    In other case, some people they are not so lucky. I got this photo from west China in March. Look those guys, I think their bodyweight are just about about 60 kg or even less, but the size of the load and their posture show me that there may be more than 50Kg on their back. They have to do it twice everyday and walk about 15 km to the market for just US 2 each trip. :cry
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 4, 2008
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gus

ulrikft wrote:
    So, what you are saying is: I'm lying, your bodily limits should be applied to the rest of the world and most special forces around the world are liars too?

gotcha..

Urlikft

I have to agree with you. I was spedial forces in the Corps back in 86-92 and we were regularly required to carry between 200-250 pounds. During training it was an everyday thing and when you got mobilized, that's when the training paid off.
    And to say it's not possible, then that only means one has never had to be asked to do such things. The human body can do remarkable things when asked and trained properly!
  • Options
    daveRendaveRen Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Staying with a DSLR
    Thanks everyone for this conversation. The insights (and photos) are all great.
    I am going with a small DSLR like the Pentax or Oly 420 - perhaps with a small prime lens. A small zoom is also an idea, but I think I would really miss the lack of a low F-stop. For the little extra size and weight the DSLR will be worth the extra flexibility and ease of use (because I am used to it.)
    Has anybody had any experience with the Oly 420 and the new 25mm pancake lens? That looks like a very compact and flexible kit. I know I am going to have to be careful about water and dust intrusion though.
    AND .............. (is this a new thread?) mwink.gif
    What are the experiences out there with the hiking-stick/monopod thingys?

regards, ............. dAve
    http://dave.rd123.ca
    .... a road less traveled