Options

Discount or coupons in for professional accounts?

DianaPricePhotoDianaPricePhoto Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
I'm starting on Power User and will upgrade to Professional as soon as I can, but I was wondering, is there a way to give a discount or credit coupon to clients? I was planning on setting up my pricing structure for allowing a certain amount of the creative fees to be applied to print purchases. Does the professional version allow this? Or to set up say, monthly promotions for discounts using codes?

Comments

• Options
    doemadoema Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    I'm starting on Power User and will upgrade to Professional as soon as I can, but I was wondering, is there a way to give a discount or credit coupon to clients? I was planning on setting up my pricing structure for allowing a certain amount of the creative fees to be applied to print purchases. Does the professional version allow this? Or to set up say, monthly promotions for discounts using codes?

I have been wondering the same thing. headscratch.gif

Any info would be appreciated!
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008

Smugmug currently does not support discounts or coupons. This is something that has been requested by many pros in the feature request thread, but it is Smugmug policy not to talk about what they are working on - so you will need to hold tight.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    arpboyarpboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    Please make it a priority
    Smugmug currently does not support discounts or coupons. This is something that has been requested by many pros in the feature request thread, but it is Smugmug policy not to talk about what they are working on - so you will need to hold tight.

I would really like to see this offered. Many of my customers have been puzzled with a print combination of many of my offerings. In order to simplify, I'd like to simply give them a coupon good for a credit of "x" dollars. If Smugmug had to charge me for the cost of prints, that's OK, because I already have the money from my gig. I'd even be willing to set up a credit balance, or pull it from funds I already have credited from my sales.

Not quite as good, but still helpful, would be a "percentage-off" coupon that could either be set for a one-time use, a date-range, or open-ended.

It would also be nice if the coupon could be good for all my photos, or only a specific gallery.

I know this can get complicated, but it would help me drive my prints through the site.

Anyway, my thoughts....
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Diane and Rich -

I am sure Smugmug is working on it and I am waiting too...but in the meantime take a look at this thread where, with a little extra work, you can set it up for yourself.

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83981
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Diane and Rich -

I am sure Smugmug is working on it and I am waiting too...but in the meantime take a look at this thread where, with a little extra work, you can set it up for yourself.

http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83981
    A quick comment.. I **REALLY** would love to see SM add coupons/packages so that I don't need to keep doing hacks, etc..

I'm working on a shopping cart for SM now; if/when I'm allowed to release it, I will.. But, it'll never be as nice as a fully integrated SM system. Besides, I don't WANT to do self-fulfillment. I'm more than happy to let SM and EZPrints do all my printing and shipping. And, of course with Google or even PayPal, there is a manual step involved. I'm trying to make it EASY to do with google/PayPal, but, SM is still the easiest.

David
  • Options
    adamup4adamup4 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    We Need This Option!
    This option would be a HUGE advantage to a lot of photgraphers. I know I am speaking for many of my colleagues as well. In fact, that's one of the major points we look for in an online service - the option to offer discounts and coupons.

Since our business is highly competetive, one of the major marketing tools we have is the promotion of free prints or discounts. I'd definitely like to see this set up in the Smugmug galleries - it woud compliment an already fine service.
    www.adamsheaphoto.com - Visit Adam Shea Photography to fulfill your wedding photography needs! See why he's been rated a top wedding photographer in Wisconsin, Green Bay, Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, and Oshkosh.
  • Options
    James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    I'll likely be dropping SmugMug for my professional online sales in favor of a vendor that offers coupon codes and package pricing. Those two items are huge - and are glaring omissions from SmugMug's pro service.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Since SM has now made custom domains and right click protection available to Power users, there is less difference between the $60 account and the $150 Pro account. Sure, there's custom pricing, but, there really needs to be a defining difference; coupons/packages/custom products. THAT would put the icing in the cake.

David
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    From the volume of requests for this and comments I've seen reagarding it, personally I'm almost positive SM is currently working on this. There's just too much demand for it. No idea when it should be expected, but I for one will not be at all surprised to see an announcement eventually.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    From the volume of requests for this and comments I've seen reagarding it, personally I'm almost positive SM is currently working on this. There's just too much demand for it. No idea when it should be expected, but I for one will not be at all surprised to see an announcement eventually.
    Zenfolio does this already. I'm sure it's a reason people choose zen vs. SM. I see a BIG opportunity here to steal lots of Zen clients!!!

David
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    So do some other providers. Thus the huge demand here & my certainty it's got to be among the top priority enhancements on SM's docket.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Since SM has now made custom domains and right click protection available to Power users, there is less difference between the $60 account and the $150 Pro account. Sure, there's custom pricing, but, there really needs to be a defining difference; coupons/packages/custom products. THAT would put the icing in the cake.

David

When did they give power accounts custom domains and right click protection? I sure missed when that happened.

But yeah I took would agree that coupons would be a great icing to the cake to allow us that extra bit of "pro coolness" as I like to think of it as.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    When did they give power accounts custom domains and right click protection? I sure missed when that happened.
    Hm... April 25, 2008 if memory serves :) check out the release notes!
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Just to give people just getting here an idea, I signed up one year ago this month. Back then they were saying "it's something we want and we'll let you know when we get it." A year later it's still the same thing. I love smugmug but won't be renewing my account when it expires in a couple of days for this very reason. Bummer.

Bobby Earle
    www.bobbyearle.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Hm... April 25, 2008 if memory serves :) check out the release notes!

Well at least it was only a few days ago and not months ago, I would feel really out of it had I missed it for a longer period of time...