Options

Rain in the desert

JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited May 25, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
After two days of record heat, we were back in the 70s. In two days we received almost 1.75 inches of rain. So I decided to play with the clouds. Let me know what you think.

1. Original untouched
300381429_Gkah3-M.jpg

2. A little pp
300381399_XSrLi-M.jpg

3. Just playing around
300383829_7QKNK-M.jpg
Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
tfarley.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    I'm with ya as far as the odd weather.. It was 100 last early last week, but lately it's been in the low 70's.. BRRR!!! COLD for New Mexico! headscratch.gif

We've also had INSANE WINDS!!!! 50+ MPH last week.. It was ripping pannels off the buildings on base.. And blowing our bracades away.. I have a feelign once thins wind dies down it's going to get HOT!!! It's abnormal for it to be this windy this late in the season.. Summer is usually calm..

Anyway.. Nice pics, looks like the kind of shots you'd get down here at WHite Sands NM.. I'm from Alamogordo NM BTW..
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    After two days of record heat, we were back in the 70s. In two days we received almost 1.75 inches of rain. So I decided to play with the clouds. Let me know what you think.

1. Original untouched
    2. A little pp
    3. Just playing around

We've had some nice rain lately over here,
    but I think the plants are confused, as the days have been warm.
    The bulbs are almost 2 inches high now and they shouldnt be out till Spring.
    It's actually Autumn here.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    I'm with ya as far as the odd weather.. It was 100 last early last week, but lately it's been in the low 70's.. BRRR!!! COLD for New Mexico! headscratch.gif

We've also had INSANE WINDS!!!! 50+ MPH last week.. It was ripping pannels off the buildings on base.. And blowing our bracades away.. I have a feelign once thins wind dies down it's going to get HOT!!! It's abnormal for it to be this windy this late in the season.. Summer is usually calm..

Anyway.. Nice pics, looks like the kind of shots you'd get down here at WHite Sands NM.. I'm from Alamogordo NM BTW..
    The wind has been crazy here too. Today is the first day in a while that the wind hasn't been blowing. Still cloudy over cast and at noon it was 67*F.

You stationed in White Sands? My MIL does the hot air balloon event there in September. We've never been able to go because it's on the same weekend as our annual dive trip to Mexico. This year I thought we were going to be able as White Sands changed weekends, but wouldn't you know it, so did our dive trip! eek7.gif Anyway, my MIL has brought back some posters and great photos of the balloons and the white sand, almost looks like snow.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    We've had some nice rain lately over here,
    but I think the plants are confused, as the days have been warm.
    The bulbs are almost 2 inches high now and they shouldnt be out till Spring.
    It's actually Autumn here.

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Hopefully your plants will figure it out before winter.
    I have family in Queensland. Some day I'll get down there.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    The wind has been crazy here too. Today is the first day in a while that the wind hasn't been blowing. Still cloudy over cast and at noon it was 67*F.

You stationed in White Sands? My MIL does the hot air balloon event there in September. We've never been able to go because it's on the same weekend as our annual dive trip to Mexico. This year I thought we were going to be able as White Sands changed weekends, but wouldn't you know it, so did our dive trip! eek7.gif Anyway, my MIL has brought back some posters and great photos of the balloons and the white sand, almost looks like snow.

I work on base.. I'm a Civil Engineer, Equipment Operator and Pavement maintenance... Basically a construction worker.. The photogs come out of the WOODWORK when it comes to sunsets out at white sands!!!! eek7.gif they'll 'park' on top of the mounds with their tripods and leave their lenses open... Laughing.gif... I find it funny..

There was a balloon launch last week (weather balloon I believe) I had a chance to photog it, but I was working nights and I never got a chance to get a hold of the POC for the even because I was VERY busy!

And yeah.. It's amazing how fast your blood thins out and how fast you become acclimatised to this hot weather.. 67* is long sleeve or jacket weather! It was 84 and BEAUTIFUL today!!! My buddy canceled the trip to the lake this weekend because he thought the weather was going to suck..
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com