Options

Ruins, Abandoned, and Dryed Up

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited May 27, 2008 in Journeys
Kdog and I have had a few adventures together so we thought we would meet up this weekend and explore some of the Northern part of AZ and head out to the Grand Falls. I gave him a location and an approximate time we could meet up as we were both driving 140 miles to get there (coming from different directions of course :deal)

I left the house a bit early hoping to find some early morning action at Phoenix International Raceway on my out.... but there was no action at all. (strike one)

Half way to Flagstaff I deceided to put my National Parks Pass to use and stop off at Montezuma's Castle as I have never been there.

302128052_Z47mg-XL.jpg

302128711_FNksu-XL.jpg

Well that didn't last long so I booked it the rest of the way to Flagstaff and needed to find a gun shop that was open on Sunday's. For the second time in as many days I brought my pistol but left the holster sitting in the safe :bash I found a shop, the first holster they went for was of course the one I had sitting at home, so with a little thinking we rigged up a tactical holster for 1/2 the cost that they normally go for. :wink

Met up with Kdog and as we briefly caught up with each other- he wanted to go visit the shop as well- just by chance they might have a pistol he had his eyes on. Sure enough they did so a few minutes and credit card swipe later we were on our way to Walnut Canyon.

Pulling in to Walnut Canyon a sign stated that admission was free :barb due to trail closure :doh Sure enough the best we could do was shoot long range from 3 view points- the best part of the canyon being unreachable due to several large rocks falling and destroying the path. (strike two)

3. 100 mm
302131952_uLaiD-XL.jpg

4. 200mm plus 2x converter- shot at 316 mm
302131449_XsdHu-XL.jpg

From here it was just a couple miles up the interstate to the turnoff for the Navajo Nation and the Grand Falls. We pulled off the side of the dirt path for some lunch and I shot a few shots of old abandoned car.

302132888_5t7yk-XL.jpg

302134184_P7pWP-XL.jpg

7. This little guy let me get pretty close.. shot at 54mm :huh
302136889_aZR85-XL.jpg

After we finshed our sandwiches we drove the additional 5 miles to the falls only to find they were all dried up :scratch I wasn't feeling to good at that point as this was my idea. :rolleyes (strike three)

The difference a few months makes-
8. View in March
264860643_ZKJQj-XL-1.jpg

9. View in May
302141811_QqbHC-XL.jpg

Well we were here so we decided to shoot anyways..

10. Some flowers-
302104518_3rBPz-XL.jpg
302104045_nzxjh-XL.jpg

Our transportation.... kdog's Jeep
302139985_6ezbo-XL.jpg
302104758_ZBJGm-XL.jpg

Alright lets go down to the bottom like these people
302117794_KLNEw-XL.jpg

15. Furthest I could get in March
264844840_74EXS-XL-1.jpg

16. It was much different this time around
302112141_Tw2Zk-XL.jpg

I wonder if I can find a way to get up this ledge (mind you it is probably 3 stories tall :scratch) Hmm maybe over there on the far right side
302105122_NU7b2-XL.jpg

18. I made it up :barb
302151266_cmgvy-XL.jpg
302106402_y3vuB-XL.jpg

Couldn't find away to get to the next tier and looking down to find Kdog was ummm... a bit spooky even for me.

302109343_3BmGH-XL.jpg

We had had enough and decided to call it a day as each of still needed to drive back to our own cities. It wasn't quite what we had hoped for but it was a decent trip none the less.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    *cough cough* is this thing on?

Bueller.... Bueller........ Bueller

Aaron Newman

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    From the movie I saw yesterday at the KS Cosmosphere.....all your desert streams are drying up....especially the little Ol' Colorado......

VEry Nice photos..clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb....but I was kinda hoping for a Gila Monster or 2 or at thevery least a sidewinderrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Scenery
    Well thanks for that trip!clap.gif
    Imagine a couple of Dgrinners meeting up like thatwings.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=90172
    thumb.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    From the movie I saw yesterday at the KS Cosmosphere.....all your desert streams are drying up....especially the little Ol' Colorado......

VEry Nice photos..clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb....but I was kinda hoping for a Gila Monster or 2 or at thevery least a sidewinderrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Well this is the little Colorado which apparently only runs during the wet season- cause there wasn't jack flowing down it this past weekend. rolleyes1.gif

Gila Monsters are South down by where I live and the snakes are everywhere- I just assume not have to deal with them though personally. If you know what I mean. deal.gif

Thanks for the comments Scott bowdown.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited May 27, 2008
    davemj98 wrote:
    Well thanks for that trip!clap.gif
    Imagine a couple of Dgrinners meeting up like thatwings.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=90172
    thumb.gif

I remember seeing that thread. :D

Kdog and I have met on 5-6 occasions and always have a good time.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Nice photos as usual. I especially love the March/May comparisons, amazing!!!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com