Options

Canon RAW+JPEG

crashmastercrashmaster Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 15, 2009 in Cameras
Hi folks, I have a new 40D that I am slowly becoming friends with. One issue however. Last time out I shot in RAW+JPEG. The way I understand it is that for each image taken it saves it in both RAW and JPEG. However, when I downloaded the images and opened them up in DPP, the RAW files were not present, instead it saved 2 JPEGS of each image.

Am I doing something wrong here?:scratch

Thanks, Vince
Canon 40D
SBIG STL-11000
Alta U16M

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I'm sure you re-checked Camera menu? Select quality. Press set.
    Dial to RAW+L press set again? This is how it is with the 30D.
    I'm assuming the menu didn't change much with the 40D.
    Are you reformatting the CF after each time you clear it of photos?
    If this ain't it I have no clue what the problem might be. Fortunately,
    there are much brighter folks around. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited May 28, 2008
    Hi folks, I have a new 40D that I am slowly becoming friends with. One issue however. Last time out I shot in RAW+JPEG. The way I understand it is that for each image taken it saves it in both RAW and JPEG. However, when I downloaded the images and opened them up in DPP, the RAW files were not present, instead it saved 2 JPEGS of each image.

Am I doing something wrong here?headscratch.gif

Thanks, Vince

Your understanding of RAW+JPG is correct. How did you download the images to your computer?
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008

Thanks, Vince

Are you on a PC? When I load up my CF card (I shoot RAW+JPG) on a PC it shows as two JPG files if the machine is set up to hide extensions. The camera did record a raw and a jpg but Windows doesn't know how to handle raw files on its own so it says "hey, this might an image, so i'll use a JPG icon". At least that is my experiance.

If you are using Linux, I have no clue.

If you are using Mac - before I installed the update to Lightroom and Bridge I was seeing a similar issue, but I could still open up the raw files in Preview they just looked strange.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Basic window cannot handle the RAW files. You need to download the software from Microsoft website (free) to get the RAW file addon http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx

The RAW file extension is .CR2

after install the codec then you can see the raw file in the thumbnail.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Sounds like you are missing something from the software that came with the camera. If you are using DPP it should be able to tell the difference. Make sure you have the Canon Raw Codec 1.3 and the latest versions of the rest of the software for your OS.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=15653#DownloadDetailAct
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    Thanks for the replies folks. Yes when I shoot only RAW, DPP sees them and opens them as a .CR2 just fine. Its only when I shoot in RAW+L (jpeg) that it shows up as 2 JPEG images in DPP.

I will try the suggestions, thx.
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    All my software is up to date. Still having the problem. When I shoot just RAW and open the image in DPP, its there as a .CR2 When I shoot RAW+L 2 jpeg images show up.headscratch.gif

I think I give Canon a call. Any other ideas?
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Yes, you should give them a call to get the support. Since your 40D is new and you had already paid for the service, just excerise your consumer right to get what you need. Do share with us what is the outcome so the rest of us can learn from it.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008

I think I give Canon a call. Any other ideas?
    Yes - open the photo folder (the one to which you downloaded the photos) in Windows Explorer. Sort the folder on filename, make sure extensions are not hidden. I'm thinking you'll find that you have both the CR2 and the JPG files there (the CR2 files will be the larger ones).

BTW (and I'm sure you know this), it is impossible for two files to have the same filename AND extension. This is what causes me to believe that DPP is confusing the issue for you...
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    yeah, they would overwrite each other.

Project1.jpg

Project2.jpg
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    :cry wings.gif instead it saved 2 JPEGS of each image.

Thanks, Vince[/quote]

are they both the same size? wings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif :cry
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    acking backacking back Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2008
    2 jpgs instead of a jpg and a cr2
    Have had the same problem; after downloading images from my 40d with a usb onto my imac with canon's digital photo professional, to my astonishment I found (only much later) out that ALL images had become jpg's with approximately the same (small) size - one picture retained the original name, the other one got the same name with a "_2" added; is there any way in which I could recover the information in the raw files? What went wrong?

Since, I am only taking pictures in raw.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Jan
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    so if you open both photos in photoshop, they will both open as Jpeg or does one open in ACR?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    YetYet Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2009
    I noticed your question on the double jpeg's from the 40D instead of jpeg and CR2. Did you find any solution to this problem? I am experiencing exactly the same. RAW only works fine. But RAW+jpeg results in 2 jpeg's of the same size.
    Thanks, Mariette
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited February 14, 2009
    Yet wrote:
    I noticed your question on the double jpeg's from the 40D instead of jpeg and CR2. Did you find any solution to this problem? I am experiencing exactly the same. RAW only works fine. But RAW+jpeg results in 2 jpeg's of the same size.
    Thanks, Mariette

Mariette, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I never shoot RAW+JPG because I know that I can always get a JPG from the RAW in post.

Might I suggest that you segregate the RAW files from the JPGs in separate folders/subdirectories immediately after you bring the files into the computer and before you start your image processing and editing. That should avoid conflicts with your software as well as provide better organization of the files and safeguard the original JPGs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    tipsinartoktipsinartok Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2009
    This exact thing used to happen to me when I first got my Canon XS and was shooting in Raw + Jpg. The files would rename themselves, so one would be img_100 and the other would be img_100(1). Both would be small sized jpg's, whether I looked at them in DPP or wherever. I found out that it is because I am connecting the camera directly to my computer and transfering them using Windows Explorer. When I had asked, I was told the problem was mainly a problem with Windows XP. I was told the two solutions are to either connect the camera directly and transfer using the EOS Utility software (which is what I do now and it does work), or use a card reader, which I haven't tried. Unfortunately, the files I had shot in raw+jpg and then uploaded and formatted the card are jpgs, there is no way that I know of to recover the raw files. Basically, Windows converted them to jpg so the extra data from the Raw is lost.
    Please don't be afraid to critique my photos, I'm here to learn and get better.
    Canon XS with kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/5-5.6, 420EX external flash