Options

Multi-function eSATA/USB HDD dock/card reader

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Accessories
Extremely cool device!
http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00516

I was running out of space on my home system. I even got a new Hitachi 1TB HDD installed but still was a bit worried looking at the rate it fills up.
Now my troubles are over. :deal
With this device (which costs only $82 shipped :huh ) I can use dirt-cheap 500Gb or even slightly smaller (as long as they hold opne year worth of images)drives as an inexpensive backup options and don't worry about all the enclosures hassles. :ivar
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Wow, that would make using multiple rotating drives for backup very easy! Thanks for the heads up on this!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Wow, that would make using multiple rotating drives for backup very easy!
    Totally, my thoughts exactlythumb.gif . External R.A.I.D., so to speak. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    A great, now I only need to find a way to put my 500GB Samsung into my camera :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Hey Nik - that is way cool. Have you already got one or are you in the process of getting one. I would be very interesting in knowing how this thing works out for you.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Totally, my thoughts exactlythumb.gif . External R.A.I.D., so to speak. mwink.gif

To be pedantic, not really. But that is a very, very cool device. Goes on my wishlist.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Hey Nik - that is way cool. Have you already got one or are you in the process of getting one. I would be very interesting in knowing how this thing works out for you.
    I fiound and ordered it yesterday. I'll let you know when I put it to my use.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    To be pedantic, not really.
    That's why I spelled it d.i.f.f.e.r.e.n.t.l.y mwink.gif cause it's an easy way to use your own Redundant Array(collection) of Inepensive external Drives rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,751 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    I use a cable from www.digitus.info that can connect SATA and IDE drives to a USB port. Works with 1,8", 2,5" and 3,5" drives

Item: http://www.digitus.info/scripts/digdetail.asp?artnr=DA%2D70148%2D1

Works just fine. I recovered 2 HDD's from an old laptop and a IDE HDD from an old PC. Use it to keep some things as a backup.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    GSPeP wrote:
    I use a cable from www.digitus.info that can connect SATA and IDE drives to a USB port. Works with 1,8", 2,5" and 3,5" drives

Item: http://www.digitus.info/scripts/digdetail.asp?artnr=DA%2D70148%2D1

Works just fine. I recovered 2 HDD's from an old laptop and a IDE HDD from an old PC. Use it to keep some things as a backup.

Peter, thank you, very interesting! thumb.gif
    Too bad they don't seem to ship to US...headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    This one looks similar... [Amazon.com link]
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    ChrisJ wrote:
    This one looks similar... [Amazon.com link]
    Thanks Chris! Good find!thumb.gif
    My only concern for the cable solution is that I really don't think standard USB port can provide enough power to fire up a large drive. Anybody can contest that? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    My only concern for the cable solution is that I really don't think standard USB port can provide enough power to fire up a large drive. Anybody can contest that? headscratch.gif
    What I have for quick drive duplication/ghosting, etc is this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152&Tpk=rcw-608

Works pretty good. Has power brick for powering larger EIDE drives. It's just not real elegant.a I guess that's in keeping with the $25USD price.
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,751 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    The one I have came with a separate power supply for the drives. I think with the ones proposed before, this should also be the case.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    GSPeP wrote:
    The one I have came with a separate power supply for the drives. I think with the ones proposed before, this should also be the case.
    AH, OK, cool, thank you!
    Well, I guess the brick I ordered has the convenince of a nice look, all-in-one design and the capabilities of the built-in multi-card reader, hence twice the price...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Update: package arrived from Hong Kong this morning. Looks as described. I'm gonna give it a whurl tonight...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Update: package arrived from Hong Kong this morning. Looks as described. I'm gonna give it a whurl tonight...
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your review.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your review.

Yes.

On dgrin.smugmug.com! deal.gif

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    What I have for quick drive duplication/ghosting, etc is this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152&Tpk=rcw-608

Works pretty good. Has power brick for powering larger EIDE drives. It's just not real elegant.a I guess that's in keeping with the $25USD price.

I have a USB 2 to SATA/IDE cable:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM

It does indeed work with large HD, CD/DVD ROMs and even transparent to DVD burners and software. Transfer speeds are excellent and it supports about twice what is needed for DV video.

I use it for file transfer and backup applications and it makes a great device to support an external DVD burner to copy directly from the internal burner on the computer. I also use it with an older laptop that doesn't have an internal burner and to supplemet the laptop's internal drive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

It does indeed work with large HD, CD/DVD ROMs and even transparent to DVD burners and software. Transfer speeds are excellent and it supports about twice what is needed for DV video.

I use it for file transfer and backup applications and it makes a great device to support an external DVD burner to copy directly from the internal burner on the computer. I also use it with an older laptop that doesn't have an internal burner and to supplemet the laptop's internal drive.

Ahhh! Only $12! And I paid $82 eek7.gif Darn, that's what I get for being impulsive buyer... :bash
    Oh well, we'll see how it works...
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

You got essentially the same thing I did, but you got yours for about 1/2 the price I paid. Where were you when I was looking for my solution? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    OK, here's the quick results:

First annoyances:
    1) power brick cord came with some weird AC plug. Luckily the other side of the cord was standard PC type power plug (which I had a spare or two) and the device can take both European and US AC current.
    2) after connection and powerup it took about two minutes to recognize the hardware and then required the restart... argh:-(

Now the good part:
    Once this was done, the rest was fairly easy. Plugged in CF card, plugged in my 250Gb SATA HDD (wich I just replaced with 1Tb as internal one)... All media types are immediately recognized and seem operational.

Here's how extra $70 (compared to Ziggy's $12 cable) look like:

308446341_ATV2S-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    is this thing HOT SWAPPABLE?? ZOUNDS REALL KEWL!!:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    is this thing HOT SWAPPABLE?? ZOUNDS REALL KEWL!!:D
    It says so...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It says so...

NOW IT ZOUNDS REAL REAL REAL KEWL.....

THANX NIkolai bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 7, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It says so...

Hot swappable and a USB hub plus ports. Sounds like a deal to me. clap.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hot swappable and a USB hub plus ports. Sounds like a deal to me. clap.gifclap
    Well, FWIW it's also a multi-card (xD, SD, MS, CF) reader rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Seymore wrote:
    So Nik... what was the total outlay for this? (I'm just seeing if I can justify the cost)
    Well, I'm on the fence here. I can pretty much guarantee that if I knew about Ziggy's $12 device before I bought this one, I would opt for it hands down. deal.gif
    I mean, I don't need all this capability THAT often, and for once-a-month or evel less frequent deal this simple cable would serve me just right, especially considering it's also IDE-compatible (this one takes only SATA, although both 3.5" desktop and 2.5" laptop drives)
    However, since I already got this one (and mentally justified its cost) I don't think trying to get rid of it and naturally losing extra $ would worth the hassle. Essentially, I upgraded my simple Sundisk multi-card reader for a a slightly bigger device that also accepts SATA drives and provides two extra powered USB 2.0 ports right on my desk - all in one relatively compact and neatly looking package.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    OK, thought more about it and decided to sell the thing. I know I may lose a few bucks, but better than losing the whole amount. Before I post on andyBay anybody here wanna have a first chance?
    $75 shipped... all working. For $5 extra I'll add US power cable (which was NOT the part of the original package). Email me for a faster response.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 10, 2008
    That is definitely an interesting all in one device, can't think of anything you CAN'T plug into it! lol3.gif

Nik, reading your first post about quickly swapping drives in and out as you fill up made me think of the Drobo (the video is particularly compelling, just yanking drives in and out). Probably a bit too automated for what you want, but the ease of pulling drives in and out really caught my attention when I saw it for the first time.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That is definitely an interesting all in one device, can't think of anything you CAN'T plug into it! lol3.gif

Nik, reading your first post about quickly swapping drives in and out as you fill up made me think of the Drobo (the video is particularly compelling, just yanking drives in and out). Probably a bit too automated for what you want, but the ease of pulling drives in and out really caught my attention when I saw it for the first time.

Erik, I have been eyeballing that Drobo for several months already. I agree it's very cool, but the price, gosh... $800 just for the device itself....eek7.gif