Options

CD sales

msrmsr Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 12, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have a client that wants me to make available a cd as a purchase option from a social event. Is this offered? I do not see any such option.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    No one has any input?

Mark
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited April 28, 2008
    I don't believe that there is the option to sell a CD.

Have you thought about using the backup capabilities of SmugMug to order a backup of the gallery yourself, then sell that backup to your customer?

Backup help at http://www.smugmug.com/help/backups.

Maybe you could use Google Checkout to allow your customers to order the CDs. Then you'd need to order the CD for them since the backup option is only available to the gallery owner.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MaksimusMaksimus Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Cd
    This is super idea,thank you.
    I don't believe that there is the option to sell a CD. :D

Have you thought about using the backup capabilities of SmugMug to order a backup of the gallery yourself, then sell that backup to your customer?

Backup help at http://www.smugmug.com/help/backups.

Maybe you could use Google Checkout to allow your customers to order the CDs. Then you'd need to order the CD for them since the backup option is only available to the gallery owner.

--- Denise
    today is the day , take the picture .:thumb .
    www.inmyviewnow.com:barb
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    For a few sales I can see doing so. This event had 130 people in attendance. I might be overwhelmed!
  • Options
    GottriaGottria Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    msr wrote:
    For a few sales I can see doing so. This event had 130 people in attendance. I might be overwhelmed!

I used Google checkout to generate the HTML code, inputed the name of the team in the HTML and put it in the description of the gallery, like this http://www.cvphotography.net/gallery/4855343_MVp6z#289143659_Awq2u

Haven't sold any, but I assume I'll get an email from google checkout about it and the name of the team.
  • Options
    redmistphotoredmistphoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2008
    Gottria wrote:
    I used Google checkout to generate the HTML code, inputed the name of the team in the HTML and put it in the description of the gallery, like this http://www.cvphotography.net/gallery/4855343_MVp6z#289143659_Awq2u

Haven't sold any, but I assume I'll get an email from google checkout about it and the name of the team.

I use Paypal checkout in the same way; works great!
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    This thread has been really helpful to me. I managed to set up my Paypal Buy Now button in a test gallery to buy a CD/DVD of all the game pics for a team in a tournament. It workes for me, at least as far as getting ready to buy. I created the button in Paypal with the item description , price and shipping costs.

I may give it a go in a couple of weeks as a end of sale thing...discounted for quick sales. Since there were 23 teams in the tournament, it may generate some additional sales from coaches/parents that haven't bought. All teams played at least three games, and I have pics from most of the games.

Thanks everyone for providing the feedback in this thread.
    MIke
    I use Paypal checkout in the same way; works great!
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    2 Points
    2 quick points on this:

1) Google 'Buy Now' is cheaper 2% + $.20/transaction
    2) With either button, you can set up javascript to modify the Buy Now internal information to reflect options you can put onto a form. That way, you can allow the user to enter information (e.g., quantity, color, size, multiple selections, etc.) and programatically have the Buy Now information set when they push the button.

Here's a page I set up to collect outstanding balances for a band trip...the 'buy now' dynamically changes for all the options ... the trip is over, so don't actually pay for anything :D

http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3746377_5AdRX

If you're interested, I'd be happy to share the code.

- Gary.
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I switched to Google Checkout and today sold a CD of game pics. It worked smoothly. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.

Thanks for the help.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Confusion?
    It's cool that you can do the Google or PayPal "Buy Now" feature, but I think it would create confusion. I think it would be easier and more effective to just have a CD/DVD merchandise option on Smugmug.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    msr wrote:

If you think you'll have a ton of orders for discs price them to make it worth your while! :) If doing ~30 or so discs would be kind of a pain I bet $15x30=$450 would make it less of a pain. thumb.gif
    cfrey6 wrote:
    It's cool that you can do the Google or PayPal "Buy Now" feature, but I think it would create confusion. I think it would be easier and more effective to just have a CD/DVD merchandise option on Smugmug.

They are working on it - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=96564
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist