Options

Is My New Watermark Too Distracting?

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited June 28, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just changed the watermark on all my galleries. I don't watermark when I upload, but just use the SmugMug auto watermarking process. The one I had was too faded and rather ugly, IMO. It was on the bottom and hard to see. Now I've used new text and centered the watermark, but I think it might be too much.

Could some of you please check a couple of my galleries and LMK your thoughts?

Thanks!
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited June 26, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    I just changed the watermark on all my galleries. I don't watermark when I upload, but just use the SmugMug auto watermarking process. The one I had was too faded and rather ugly, IMO. It was on the bottom and hard to see. Now I've used new text and centered the watermark, but I think it might be too much.
    Lauren -
    I may not be the right person to answer your question since I really don't like obtrusive watermarks. I understand the need for them, but if a gallery is heavily watermarked I tend not to look at the photos. I have seen some watermarks that still allow my eyes to see the photo, but yours is heavy enough that it jumps out in front of the photo. My eyes are drawn to the watermark and not to your photos. And you have at least one photo where the watermark totally obscures what I believe is the focus point of the photo - http://redleash.smugmug.com/gallery/4652187_7CGxj/1/292173670_pHXUc#292173670_pHXUc.

You're absolutely right that a watermark in the center of the photo offers more protection than one on the edges. But I believe that if you feel that you need a watermark in the center of the photo that it should be more muted.

I suspect that there are many others who will think your watermark is fine.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ShutterMomShutterMom Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I didn't find your watermark too distracting. I did see it, but I was able to look past it and to the picture. For curiosity sake, I did go look at the link that was referred to above, and I'd agree with her on that one that it does take away from the focus of the picture. You can use the same watermark and save it for different places of your photos and if you have one like this, just move the watermark down to the bottom if necessary. Or mute it a lot more. I love your spiritual places gallery, by the way. :)
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    redleash wrote:

I think your watermark is distracting.

There was a "watermark survey" (or maybe "watermark poll") thread here a few weeks ago. Most of the watermarks shown were very heavy-handed, but one I thought was effective and unobtrusive involved a tiled watermark that ran diagonally across the image. Since your eyes tend to focus on the vertical and horizontal, the diagonal flow doesn't hit you so hard.

I am using this approach on my galleries, but, unfortunately there are all marked as private right now while I do some extensive changes/customization.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Is My Watermark Too Distracting? - UPDATE
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I set a new watermark today and I think it works better. Again, however, any suggestions/comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Lauren

306636427_4yT2E-S-3.jpg

297525216_YqjeA-S-4.jpg
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2008
    I don't think it's too bad. It's definitely there, but not horribly heavy.

I don't always use the faint centered watermarks but when I do I opted for the single-diagonal approach, along with my standard copyright notice in the corner:

319851442_Xm8xb-L.jpg