Options

D700 Announced

2»

Comments

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    The d700 simply looks perfect to me.. :) Fullframe sensor, full weather sealing, spot-metering at af-points, high iso capability, 8fps with grip... The list is long. If you shoot sport one weekend, you sport the grip and have fun, concerts next weekend? off with the grip, have more fun...

*sigh*

I'm crossing what ever parts of my body i CAN cross that canon get's the hint.. :P
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    For 5,000, you can get a D300 and D700. For event photographers, that might be a great combo to have and more money can be spent on lenses.

I would think this could be pretty confusing, since one of your cameras would be APS and the other full frame. In the heat of the moment, keeping lens crop factors straight would be a chore. Just buy another D300 and save even MORE $$$ for glass.ne_nau.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    I would think this could be pretty confusing, since one of your cameras would be APS and the other full frame. In the heat of the moment, keeping lens crop factors straight would be a chore. Just buy another D300 and save even MORE $$$ for glass.ne_nau.gif

Not really, I've been shooting with the D3 and the D300 for a bit now with no problems. My main body is the D3 and I break out the D300 when I need the crop factor or when I'm going light.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    And we haven't even talked about the SB-900 speedlight. 18-200mm range, settings for colored gels, can leave the barn doors home adjusts light to a FX or DX camera.

But, Nikon still crawls when it comes to updating it's lens line up. Like VR for the 300mm f/4, AF-S for the 80-400, a Canon like 24-105, and please oh please Nikon update the 200mm f/4 Micro to AF-S VR.

Wish I were 29 again. I'm living on borrowed time and can't wait 10 years. Won't be able to hold a pencil steady.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    If nikon had the prime-lineup of canon, I would be putting up my canon gear for sale :P As of now, I'm waiting for the 5d MKII to see what suprises canon has up their sleeve!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    wow, I can't wait until they stock it in B&H. I was hoping Nikon would release a camera that had a full sensor and was smaller than the D3. I will start saving up for this purchase next year. I can't wait to see the dynamic range of this camera as well as the high iso settings.
    wings.gif
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Icebear wrote:

I never really factored that in, but I think the confusion would be more in the same body styles if you are shooting the D300 thinking it's the D700 by mistake. Have two different focus length lenses and it's not a problem in regards to crop factor.

When you shoot events, you need backup. For the price of one D3, you get two camera for the price of one and I would say the versatility of the two combo is much greater than the one D3. For outdoor stuff, put a zoom on the D300 for the crop factor and a wide angle on the D700.

For sport at night or indoors, put the zoom on the D700 and fast prime on the D300.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Well Jon, you and Harry are just smarter than me. I know I'd get cornfused. Actually, I'm pulling out all the stops to convince myself that I don't need to upgrade from my D300/D200 pair to a D700/D300 pair. Y'all just leave me alone, dammit.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Well Jon, you and Harry are just smarter than me. I know I'd get cornfused. Actually, I'm pulling out all the stops to convince myself that I don't need to upgrade from my D300/D200 pair to a D700/D300 pair. Y'all just leave me alone, dammit.

Of course you don't have to upgrade. You don't need the FF and incredible high ISO performance of the D700. No one needs to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200. naughty.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Of course you don't have to upgrade. You don't need the FF and incredible high ISO performance of the D700. No one needs to shoot at ISO 1600 or 3200. naughty.gif

Oh hell I'm so confused, I'm still shootin a D2Hs rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :poke
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Don't know if this link has been posted yet.....

http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=283
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    i'm within the first 5 on the list for the sb-900 at my camera store. i think i'm going to pass on the d700. personally, i'd rather wait and see what the d3x is going to offer - whenever it's finally announced, that is...
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    i'm within the first 5 on the list for the sb-900 at my camera store. i think i'm going to pass on the d700. personally, i'd rather wait and see what the d3x is going to offer - whenever it's finally announced, that is...

Kind of comparing apples to oranges here...If you are considering the d3, then the d700 is not for you, however if you are one of the many people who was wanting a FF nikon on a d300 body, your prayers (mine included) have been answered...I do not need all the super fancy features that the d3 has, however I wanted it's low niose and FF sensor with out having to carry that beast around and now I have what I need...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Kind of comparing apples to oranges here...If you are considering the d3, then the d700 is not for you, however if you are one of the many people who was wanting a FF nikon on a d300 body, your prayers (mine included) have been answered...I do not need all the super fancy features that the d3 has, however I wanted it's low niose and FF sensor with out having to carry that beast around and now I have what I need...

i should've prefaced my post by mentioning that i already have a D3. the new D700 looks, IMO, to be the Canon 5d killer. comparing the D3 and D700 is more like comparing fuji apple vs. red delicious. one is arguably, a little more exotic and certainly pricier than the other. i love my D3; it's an awesome wedding camera, i would expect that the D700 is going to be an awesome camera as well. go Nikon! clap.gif

i'm really interested in the SB-900 because of it's purportedly huge range (17-200mm) would blow the SB-800 (only goes up to 105mm) out of the water.
    - Dan

• Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    dangin wrote:
    i should've prefaced my post by mentioning that i already have a D3. the new D700 looks, IMO, to be the Canon 5d killer. comparing the D3 and D700 is more like comparing fuji apple vs. red delicious. one is arguably, a little more exotic and certainly pricier than the other. i love my D3; it's an awesome wedding camera, i would expect that the D700 is going to be an awesome camera as well. go Nikon! clap.gif

i'm really interested in the SB-900 because of it's purportedly huge range (17-200mm) would blow the SB-800 (only goes up to 105mm) out of the water.

I'm definitely hankering for the SB-900 but it will have to wait till next year. After the D3, D300 and the 14-24 purchases Linda would kill me if I made another photographic purchase.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm definitely hankering for the SB-900 but it will have to wait till next year. After the D3, D300 and the 14-24 purchases Linda would kill me if I made another photographic purchase.

ah tell ya what... i'll trade ya the sb-900 when it comes in for your 14-24. :D
    - Dan

• Options
    BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    If nikon had the prime-lineup of canon, I would be putting up my canon gear for sale :P As of now, I'm waiting for the 5d MKII to see what suprises canon has up their sleeve!

What Canon gear your profile reads other wise except camera.

Now here are the Nikon Primes: Just the big ones. 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 VR, 300 f/4, 400 f/2.8 VR, 500 f/4 VR, 600 f/4 VR and PC 24/45/85 plus 105 f/2.8 micro VR, 200 f/4 micro
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2008
    Brascole wrote:
    What Canon gear your profile reads other wise except camera.

Now here are the Nikon Primes: Just the big ones. 200 f/2 VR, 300 f/2.8 VR, 300 f/4, 400 f/2.8 VR, 500 f/4 VR, 600 f/4 VR and PC 24/45/85 plus 105 f/2.8 micro VR, 200 f/4 micro

A canon 24 1.4 L and a canon 85 1.8. As far as I know, the 28 1.4 (nikon) is not produced anymore and the 85 1.4 is long due for an update (Af and coating-wise).
    -Ulrik

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    I saw B+H has it in stock. Good job Nikon, Canon where are you?