Options

statcounter counting my visits - bad

a1mixera1mixer Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
edited August 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've just joined up and installed statcounter. No matter how many times I set blocking cookies, it is counting my own visits. This is happening with four different browsers. I've been talking with their support for four days and, so far, they haven't figured it out. Somehow it's not remembering the setting. Even when it says I'm blocked, it still counts me.

I have many cookies for many places and none of them ever break. This is the first I've ever encountered. I'm on a Mac using Mozilla, Firefox, Safari and Opera - all the latest versions. Wondering if anyone has any clues? Or recommendations for another counter that isn't so problematic? I think Google Analytics is working properly but it's hard to tell - somewhat cryptic.

Thanks for any suggestions

a1
a1 mixer

Comments

• Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    You can also block by IP address. I'd give that a try.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2008
    Would that be my Mac's address or the provider's?

thanks
    a1 mixer
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    a1mixer wrote:

thanks

Your computer, or your router if you have one. When you get into that page it will say

"You can specify your IP Address XX.XX.XX.XX or a range such as 212.14.23.* or even 212.*.*.* to be blocked..."

and the XX.XX.XX.XX will be your current IP address.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    a1mixer wrote:

It must be the one that's public-facing, the one that StatCounter would see. Do not enter a local IP address because those aren't visible past your router. Use the IP address for the WAN (outside) connection of your DSL or cable modem.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    a1mixer wrote:
    I've just joined up and installed statcounter. No matter how many times I set blocking cookies, it is counting my own visits. This is happening with four different browsers. I've been talking with their support for four days and, so far, they haven't figured it out. Somehow it's not remembering the setting. Even when it says I'm blocked, it still counts me.

I have many cookies for many places and none of them ever break. This is the first I've ever encountered. I'm on a Mac using Mozilla, Firefox, Safari and Opera - all the latest versions. Wondering if anyone has any clues? Or recommendations for another counter that isn't so problematic? I think Google Analytics is working properly but it's hard to tell - somewhat cryptic.

Thanks for any suggestions

a1

What is your site? Do you have a custom domain?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    I think putting in my IP address has done it. I'll know in a lttle while - don't know how long it takes to update.

Thanks for all the help...

http://a1photo.smugmug.com/
    a1 mixer