Options

Nikon D2x comments.

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited April 14, 2005 in Cameras
Well I have the Nikon D2X a little over a week now and I have totally mixed feelings about it. I love the ergs of it, it is extremely intuitive all the controls are right where they should be. All in all just extremely comfortable. I am extremely frustrated buy the amount of post processing needed to fully take advantage of the cameras capability. If I was more proficient at it I am sure I would be totally happy with it. It has been mentioned several times by Shay, Andy and several others that it isn't the camera it's the person behind it that takes great photographs. I am a living breathing billboard for that sentiment. You live and learn ...

Comments

• Options
    clicketclicket Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Well I have the Nikon D2X a little over a week now and I have totally mixed feelings about it. I love the ergs of it, it is extremely intuitive all the controls are right where they should be. All in all just extremely comfortable. I am extremely frustrated buy the amount of post processing needed to fully take advantage of the cameras capability. If I was more proficient at it I am sure I would be totally happy with it. It has been mentioned several times by Shay, Andy and several others that it isn't the camera it's the person behind it that takes great photographs. I am a living breathing billboard for that sentiment. You live and learn ...
    May I ask what other camera(s) you were using before ?
    What is the most critical step in your workflow at this time ?
    -- Christian (B->
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    I'm jealous! :D

Yeah, what camera are you coming from? From what I have read, the D2X really "demands" really good glass.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    clicket wrote:
    May I ask what other camera(s) you were using before ?
    What is the most critical step in your workflow at this time ?
    I was using a D100 and for my skill level it was fine. There are two things that have been tricky with the D2x. I had read that you could almost exclusively use Auto White balance, and the sharpening that has to be done post is surprising. I think sometimes it is my focusing but definately not the glass.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    For sharpening, try turning the radius way down (into the decimal places) and the power / intensity way up (past 200-300). That I have found is what works best with the D2x images I've been able to get my grubby, un-worthy hands on... But yeah, you'd be surprised at what R 0.2/0.3 and Intensity 400-500 can do! Give that a try...

And yes, when you try to pull 12 megapixels out of a 1.5x cropped sensor, you have to be using the best glass possible, otherwise you're just throwing away resolution. And even the old 35mm glass, at least on the wide end, isn't going to cut it if you're trying to push the envelope and print 24x36" etc etc... Gotta be DX glass. I've shot with the legendary 17-35 f/2.8 and even with 6 megapixels on my D70, I can see that the extreme edges really suffer when I'm at 17mm.

Congrats on the D2x, and happy shooting! Post an image or two or link us to where you've posted them?

Thanks,
    -matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    4labs
    Just my 2 cents

I also have the same problem you are talking about but with the 20d

I look at it this way yea it's to much camera for my skill level but I look forward to getting better.

And I think I am headscratch.gif

I also have an expensive guitar too way beyond my playing level but I am better now
    because it's a more comfortable guitar to play ....so I play it more.
    I've seem your shots you will have it singing in no time

Give it time it's a great camera

Fred
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    I was there too when going from the D100 to the D2H. Maybe the D100 is more forgiving and does not expect the shooter to be a Photoshop expert.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    There's a review of the D2x here http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html .

What I found interesting (besides it besting the Canon 1 DS Mk. II) in the summary were these conclusions:

"THe D2X is also the most unforgiving image recording instrument I've ever used. If there is any optical flaw or aberration of the image projected by your lens the D2X will show the defect with merciless clarity........ If you rely on sloppy or haphazard shooting techniques the D2X will teach you a lesson you'll not likely to forget".
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    There's a review of the D2x here http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html .

What I found interesting (besides it besting the Canon 1 DS Mk. II) in the summary were these conclusions:

"THe D2X is also the most unforgiving image recording instrument I've ever used. If there is any optical flaw or aberration of the image projected by your lens the D2X will show the defect with merciless clarity........ If you rely on sloppy or haphazard shooting techniques the D2X will teach you a lesson you'll not likely to forget".
    I read that review after I ordered the camera and had contemplated canceling it but I am just going to have to learn how to use it and how to process better.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    For sharpening, try turning the radius way down (into the decimal places) and the power / intensity way up (past 200-300). That I have found is what works best with the D2x images I've been able to get my grubby, un-worthy hands on... But yeah, you'd be surprised at what R 0.2/0.3 and Intensity 400-500 can do! Give that a try...

And yes, when you try to pull 12 megapixels out of a 1.5x cropped sensor, you have to be using the best glass possible, otherwise you're just throwing away resolution. And even the old 35mm glass, at least on the wide end, isn't going to cut it if you're trying to push the envelope and print 24x36" etc etc... Gotta be DX glass. I've shot with the legendary 17-35 f/2.8 and even with 6 megapixels on my D70, I can see that the extreme edges really suffer when I'm at 17mm.

Congrats on the D2x, and happy shooting! Post an image or two or link us to where you've posted them?

Thanks,
    -matt-
    Thnxs Matthew I have the 17-35mm f/2.8 but haven't used it yet. I will definately have it with me at Yosemite.
    My main lens is the 70-200mm f/2.8 I haven't shot much of anything except the pups yet but I will shortly.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Just my 2 cents

I also have the same problem you are talking about but with the 20d

I look at it this way yea it's to much camera for my skill level but I look forward to getting better.

And I think I am headscratch.gif

I also have an expensive guitar too way beyond my playing level but I am better now
    because it's a more comfortable guitar to play ....so I play it more.
    I've seem your shots you will have it singing in no time

Give it time it's a great camera

Fred
    Thnxs Fred I am in no hurry eventually I'll get it to sing I am sure, especially with the amount of time I spend on here. I learn something everyday.
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Whew, this is almost work!
    Got mine a couple of days ago. I am amazed at the sharpness and clarity of the sensor. Better range of colors and more accurate representation. Here are a couple of shots from a photo class I am taking. I am taking classes from an instructor I took photojournalism from in college in 72-75. Here 30 years later he is teaching at a community college close by and I had to spend some more time with him. He is one of the best instructors I ever had and being able to spend more time with him is wonderful!

19286985-M.jpg
    David Falconer, chief photo editor for the Oregonian, National Geographic, Sunset and many other publications.

19287059-M.jpg
    Today we had to shoot our classmates using a camera in the photo.

19287154-M.jpg

Some umbrella shots....

19287463-M.jpg

19287262-M.jpg

Deacon
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Deacon would you mind sharing your some exif and what post processing if any was done?
  • Options
    DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    tell me how...
    4labs, never done that so can you tell me now to attach the exif data? I applied sharpening in the smugmug uploader.

Deacon
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005

This sounds suspiciosly akin to the way they say Velvia and other pro transparency films are un-forgiving. Perhaps Nikon is on to something then?

-matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Ok after today I am feeling a bit better about the camera. These pictures were taken with very little pp, a little USm in Nikon Capture(thnxs Harry). The Auto White Balance seems to work perfectly when the sun is out but not so much when it is cloudy which is much different than I found with the D100.

19316990-M.jpg

19356974-M.jpg

19357034-M.jpgI think this last one is right out of the camera.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Todays pics are stunning!!

I am watching you with great interest. Please continue to share your experience with this camera. Tell us more about your thoughts on the camera itself. I am sitting here with my one year old D70 and drooling. Please tell me they included Nikon Capture with this $5,000 camera.:photo

mitch
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Todays pics are stunning!!
    Please tell me they included Nikon Capture with this $5,000 camera.:photo

mitch

rolleyes1.gifYou are kidding...right?! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    One year later, I am still smarting over the $100 price tag for Nikon Capture after spending $1300 on the camera and lens.headscratch.gif Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheap when it comes to this stuff, but I hate getting nickle and dimed by what I always felt was a quality company.

Seriously, not including a $100 program with a $5,000 camera? Just a bad PR decision in my book.

mitch
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    One year later, I am still smarting over the $100 price tag for Nikon Capture after spending $1300 on the camera and lens.headscratch.gif Don't get me wrong, I'm not cheap when it comes to this stuff, but I hate getting nickle and dimed by what I always felt was a quality company.

Seriously, not including a $100 program with a $5,000 camera? Just a bad PR decision in my book.

mitch
    Hey Mitch,

It always ticked me off too. Fortunately its a great program but still its like they are trying to squeeze that last piece of $ out of you.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch
    Besides the 100 bucks here are a few more things that you need to consider. You probably will need to upgrade your computer because of the size of the files, processing them will be very slow otherwise, I had to but a 2GIG compact flash card to shoot Raw, I bought the Nikon Cool Walker for when I am traveling and need to transfer files from the camera, and last but not least you need good lenses to get the most out of the camera. Someone alot smarter than me can explain the pixel math. So far as anyone can tell by my pictures there was no reason for me to get the camera given my ability but I am turning 40 and wanted it. The D100 would have suited my needs just fine.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    The D100 was just as lacking, you need the AC adapter to clean the CCD, and that is extra. There used to be a time you worried about unscrupulous dealers stripping the camera kits bare. Now the manufacturers are beating them to it! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Besides the 100 bucks here are a few more things that you need to consider. You probably will need to upgrade your computer because of the size of the files, processing them will be very slow otherwise, I had to but a 2GIG compact flash card to shoot Raw, I bought the Nikon Cool Walker for when I am traveling and need to transfer files from the camera, and last but not least you need good lenses to get the most out of the camera. Someone alot smarter than me can explain the pixel math. So far as anyone can tell by my pictures there was no reason for me to get the camera given my ability but I am turning 40 and wanted it. The D100 would have suited my needs just fine.
    Wait a minute! I just turned 40 and all I got was a lousy card. I'm ordering a D2X now!!mwink.gif

mitch