Options

The Boxer

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited August 29, 2008 in People
This series of photos came about due to a second idea I had for the recent DSS Mega Challenge (the "failed" idea is the last in this set). Though I didn't run with this idea, this series demonstrates a ton of firsts for me as a photographer: using a multi-light set-up, working with a "model" and posing, and post-processing utterly unlike anything I normally do.

I wanted to capture a style similar to Joey Lawrence and Dave Hill, though less illustrator-ish than the latter. After bribing my extremely fit friend to model and gunking her up good, we set to shooting--with lots of giggling in between. (We were doing this on my front porch and got some straaaaange looks from my passing neighbors as well as the UPS guy and my mailman. So worth it, though!)

The Set-Up
358902372_EYHZX-L.jpg

360224224_gGsPk-XL.jpg

360225178_3XC7n-L.jpg

3 (Missed the focus, but I still love her expression)
360226282_iV78f-XL.jpg

360226612_EDEnA-XL.jpg

360227569_vwnG6-L.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    She needs a shower.....and you need a ribbon! Fantastic! Not really in love w/ the fire on the fists, but it definately works! (wish the "flames" were a little more "real" looking in nature.

Overall, great post-prod. work! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    :beatwax

eek7.gif Excellent !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Focus be damned. I love #3. But all of them are truly fantastic!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    So that's where the exploding soufflé came from :D

Kerry, this is quite simply stunning work. Wouldn't want to meet your friend alone in a dark alley...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Kerry, these are great. What is your post steps on this?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 27, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    She needs a shower.....and you need a ribbon! Fantastic! Not really in love w/ the fire on the fists, but it definately works! (wish the "flames" were a little more "real" looking in nature.

Overall, great post-prod. work! thumb.gif
    Thank you. :D These flames are actually more what I had in my mind's eye, and are steps above my first attempt. :giggle But you're right that the falseness of the flames is what didn't make it work completely.
    :beatwax

eek7.gif Excellent !
    Thank you! iloveyou.gif
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Focus be damned. I love #3. But all of them are truly fantastic!

Virginia
    Thank you! That's how I ended up feeling about #3, too. :D
    pyry wrote:
    So that's where the exploding soufflé came from :D

Kerry, this is quite simply stunning work. Wouldn't want to meet your friend alone in a dark alley...
    lol3.gif And thank you. She's actually quite harmless, and one of the goofiest chicks I know:
    360273823_bcAau-S.jpg
    shatch wrote:
    Kerry, these are great. What is your post steps on this?
    Thanks, Steven! :D The PP is actually a bit complex--lots of layers involved, mainly curves, multiply layers, and hue/sat. I was thinking of putting together a how-to post in the Techniques area if enough people are curious. It's not a simple "cook," for sure, and I didn't use exactly the same steps for each photo as the same steps didn't always work for the pose/focus/lighting variations. deal.gif

I did put together a "Dave Hill" action (which I used in some shots but not in others, and always tweaked the adjustment layers afterward) based on this tutorial. That could be a good starting place.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    Love 2-3 Kerry. Very dramatic and intense. Good model. clap.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    I looked at the shots and was just gonna say this has a feel similar to Joey L and I LOVE IT! You photographed it well, she was obviously into the role and the 4th one is only missing growling Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans and German shepherds.

I think you should continue to play with the fire in #5. It's not there yet, but it's close.

I love the phone books for light stand stability. lol3.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif

:curtsey :D
    dlplumer wrote:
    Love 2-3 Kerry. Very dramatic and intense. Good model. clap.gif

Thank you! She was fantastic...after we got past the giggling. :giggle
    evoryware wrote:
    I looked at the shots and was just gonna say this has a feel similar to Joey L and I LOVE IT! You photographed it well, she was obviously into the role and the 4th one is only missing growling Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans and German shepherds.

I think you should continue to play with the fire in #5. It's not there yet, but it's close.

I love the phone books for light stand stability. lol3.gif

Thank you! Glad to know I captured the same feel. iloveyou.gif

I need to put #5 aside for a bit, as I've worked on it so much I've grown to hate it. I know my OCD side won't let it go, so eventually I'll go back to tweaking. thumb.gif

Yeah...phonebooks. Funnly enough, I'd been watching a lot of lighting videos before attempting this and saw the liberal use of sandbags. I thought that was way heavy duty and figured, "I'm no pro, I won't need 'em." That strobe had a brolly on it at first, then one good gust of wind came by... :uhoh I frantically began searching for something to weigh the stand down, and we'd just had new phonebooks delivered. Worked like a charm. :D
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2008
    Guuuuuh...I just spent about three hours trying to put together a tutorial on this. I tossed it up in the Techniques forum: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=907691#post907691.

Give it a whirl if you like. Let me know if it doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    :jawdrop

Kerry, these are extraordinary!

Charlie
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    :jawdrop

Kerry, these are extraordinary!

Charlie

Woo, a jawdrop! :D Thank you, Charlie. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    WOW GREAT Photos!!!bowdown.gif
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    To the original poster:

If you google Scott Kelby's Website/Blog and go back a few posts (less than two weeks ago).

There is an interesting video on how to create fire/flames in PS by creating a brush from the smudge tool.

I just watched it and moved on so I don't know if it would be applicable in your situation but I believe it would be worth a look for the photo your struggling with.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    WOW GREAT Photos!!!bowdown.gif

Thank you so much! iloveyou.gif
    crockett wrote:
    There is an interesting video on how to create fire/flames in PS by creating a brush from the smudge tool.

Interesting. I'll have to try it out to see if I like it or not. Thanks for the tip! thumb.gif

For anyone who's curious, here it is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlOj0CHzY0
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    #4 is awesome, as they all are, but #4 sure tells a story in ones mind...

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Woo, a jawdrop! :D Thank you, Charlie. iloveyou.gif

Hey credit where credit's due, by the way, does 'fit' have the same slang connotation in America?

Charlie
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    #4 is awesome, as they all are, but #4 sure tells a story in ones mind...

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks, Aaron! :D
    thebigsky wrote:
    Hey credit where credit's due, by the way, does 'fit' have the same slang connotation in America?

I'm not sure what it means for you across the pond, but here it's meant as "physically in shape/healthy." My friend is very lean and muscular, and she has an amazing workout routine. bowdown.gif