Options

The lost Venice photos...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited September 3, 2008 in Journeys
In 1996 My Daughter was 5 and we lived in Sardinia Italy. My In laws came to visit and we toured through mainland Italy for a week or so...

At some point my Father or Mother In Law bought a couple of rolls of slide film for their point and shoot 35mm... They had it developed when they got home to Florida and were never able to see the pictures until now...

I got my hands on these slides a couple of Months ago and just recently scanned them with my Nikon Coolscan 5...

Capturing Memories is a wonderful thing...

my daughter being lifted into the Gondola...
362744884_LbYDs-L.jpg

my Mother in law being helped into the Gondola, with my Father in law behind...
362823253_QLXdX-L.jpg

John, Cassis, & Edwina
362784804_fyMNt-XL.jpg

The Grand Canal
362769250_TKwA8-L.jpg

Other Tourists on a Gondola ride...
362772752_MaVc6-L.jpg

You could still feed the pigeons back then in St Mark's square... today they sterilize them... (birth control) and it is illegal to feed them.... My Wife Stacey and Daughter Cassis...
362825220_Cy2Mp-XL.jpg

St Marks square, Venice Italy
362810724_i78cp-L.jpg

A side canal
362817700_UPFAw-XL.jpg

I bought them Godiva chocolates for the Gondola ride... me in the background...
362779204_KqnWv-XL.jpg

breakfast at a Cafe
362776216_eZJDs-L.jpg

My Father in law, John
362750206_r7msJ-L.jpg

Venice was the middle of our journey... We began on the coast close to Rome and traveled North through Tuscany... After Venice we came back south, stopping along the way, until we ended up on a ferry back to Sardinia... unfortunately many of the photos were film, point and shoot, no telling where the negatives are... That's why these slides were so special! no one has seen the images... technology is a great thing!

Enjoy...
Winston

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    Wow, Winston. What a gift! These are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Don't know why I've only done this math now, but Cassis must be right in between my son and daughter in age. Cassis seems so much more a young adult than mine!

Thanks again, I really enjoyed these!

ann
  • Options
    Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2008
    Yesterday. Nothing like it.

When did they outlaw feeding the pigeons? I was there New Years of '06, then again in June of '06. The vendors were still selling the feed, people feeding them left and right.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
  • Options
    gembobsgembobs Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Yesterday. Nothing like it.

When did they outlaw feeding the pigeons? I was there New Years of '06, then again in June of '06. The vendors were still selling the feed, people feeding them left and right.
    I was there in July, didn't see people selling feed, but did see people feeding them. I hate pigeons, filthy vermin, why anyone would want to touch them or have one sit on you is beyond me! But still, they make for great shots!

I really like your shot no 7, the one of the pigeons flying in St Marks square! In fact, I really like all of them. Is that grain particular to the slide film? I have never used it before, but really like the effect. thumb.gif
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Wow, Winston. What a gift! These are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Don't know why I've only done this math now, but Cassis must be right in between my son and daughter in age. Cassis seems so much more a young adult than mine!

Thanks again, I really enjoyed these!

ann

One thing I have realized Ann... Our own kids tend to act somewhat different around us than they do around other people, and we tend to be more critical of our own... :D Cassis is 17, and I certainly appreciate the compliment! thanks... There probably really isn't much difference between our kids... Cassis is a typical teenager (if there really is such a thing)... One thing may be the fact that we <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:PlaceType>Home</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceType>School</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> and her sphere of influence has never been her peer group, but adults, so she has learned how to act and interact with adults as she has grown up... She's a great kid, and I'm very proud of her!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Winston<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2008
    Wow what great memories to have.thumb.gif