Options

How's LR2.0 speedwise?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 9, 2008 in The Big Picture
Anybody with a large image inventory (100,000+/1Tb+ images on multiple HDDs) can compare LR2.0 vs LR1.x (on PC) speedwise? Also, is it possible to eliminate the dreaded "import" process?

I have tried pretty much every version before 2.0 (starting with early betas) and while I was blown away with UI bells and whistles, it was the backend that made me to stay away from it.

TIA! :thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    I'm using Lightroom 2 on an Aluminum iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB's of RAM and I am having performance issues. Prior to upgrading Lightroom was fantastic...no issues whatsoever. Now, it is painfully slow when importing. Yes, I have changed the preview size and it has not helped. When editing, the sliders are very tempermental! I constantly get spinning beach balls. I am not sure what the issue is, but it is beginning to bug me that I paid for an upgrade, and although there are some nice features...the performance has left me worse of than before.

2828418761_75ace5b875_b.jpg
    Nikolai wrote:
    Anybody with a large image inventory (100,000+/1Tb+ images on multiple HDDs) can compare LR2.0 vs LR1.x (on PC) speedwise? Also, is it possible to eliminate the dreaded "import" process?

I have tried pretty much every version before 2.0 (starting with early betas) and while I was blown away with UI bells and whistles, it was the backend that made me to stay away from it.

TIA! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:
    I'm using Lightroom 2 on an Aluminum iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB's of RAM and I am having performance issues. Prior to upgrading Lightroom was fantastic...no issues whatsoever. Now, it is painfully slow when importing. Yes, I have changed the preview size and it has not helped. When editing, the sliders are very tempermental! I constantly get spinning beach balls. I am not sure what the issue is, but it is beginning to bug me that I paid for an upgrade, and although there are some nice features...the performance has left me worse of than before.
    Thanks for the info! thumb.gif
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    It seems to import faster in 32 bit mode rather than 64 bit but handles the rendering process much faster during the import now in 64 bit.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Also, is it possible to eliminate the dreaded "import" process?

Nik: It's a database, so you have to import. There's not much reason to use it rather than ACR unless you take advantage of the database. But you must know that. So I think you are really asking whether importing is faster in 2.0 than in 1.x. N'est-ce pas?
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    It seems to import faster in 32 bit mode rather than 64 bit but handles the rendering process much faster during the import now in 64 bit.
    Soo, the "import" is still there...:cry
    How'z the library performance on a multitude on images, and how's the developer module performance on a large RAW file with a lot of non-destructive tweaks?
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Nik: It's a database, so you have to import. There's not much reason to use it rather than ACR unless you take advantage of the database. But you must know that. So I think you are really asking whether importing is faster in 2.0 than in 1.x. N'est-ce pas?
    I thought I've read something they made DB an optional thing, and also improved the performace on the developer modelue. With 1.x I could taken a lunch break each time I'd move a slider.. (while with CS/ACR it wouldn't even dent a CPU)
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:

Try importing into a fresh library. It could be the old converted library causing your problems.

Also try optimizing your existing library.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Soo, the "import" is still there...:cry
    How'z the library performance on a multitude on images, and how's the developer module performance on a large RAW file with a lot of non-destructive tweaks?

Why not just download the demo and see? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    Hmmm...I have optimized and that did not help. I need to figure out how to import into a fresh library. That will probaby take a good chunk of time with 23K images.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Try importing into a fresh library. It could be the old converted library causing your problems.

Also try optimizing your existing library.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:
    Hmmm...I have optimized and that did not help. I need to figure out how to import into a fresh library. That will probaby take a good chunk of time with 23K images.

Well, I was suggesting a test with a few, see how it goes. If it helps, then maybe set the 23k to import overnight, and then see if you can maintain any improvements, or if it's simply the number of images.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why not just download the demo and see? ne_nau.gif
    Dave, I might end up doing that, but just like most people, I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel (and wasting a whole evening - again), so I'd like to check first if the known issues have been resolved.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:
    ... and although there are some nice features...the performance has left me worse of than before.
    Which nice features do you like that made it worthwhile to upgrade?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Nik: a few comments. I am not running LR 2.0 yet, so these are based on LR1.

First, importing does not mean moving your files or changing your folder structure. Importing simply means adding the file metadata to the LR database. Moving/Copying and importing are not the same, and in fact, the operations in LR call out both copying to a location (or not) and importing as separate operations in your selection.

Simply choose "Import Photos from Disk", tell it to "Import photos from their current Location". It will then add the photos to the database, but not move or change where they are on your disk. All my images are on the same external harddrive they have been for years, I have not moved them or changed folder structure. I had LR adopt my folder structure when copying from my cards. (in fact I use same HD I used under my Windows PC, now being used on my Mac, and yes it is FAT32). When you import from your cards, you can use LR to do this, in which case it will copy them from your cards and place them wherever you like on your hard drive, renaming (if desired), creating folders (as you instruct) and even applying preset workflows, as well as, of course, import the metadata into the database.

You also are not stuck with one LR Database. Changing databases to be used in LR is dirt simple, and can even be done at startup. If you suffer from performance issues, perhaps the best method is to break the images into separate LR databases, say on date or other method. Simply choose "File>Open Database and you can work on a different set of images. To understand how powerful this can be...check out this from Layers Magazine: http://www.layersmagazine.com/working-with-database-catalogs-in-lightroom.html

I don't have more than 20k photos, and never had a performance issue, but it could be different for others. Though I have never heard or seen complaint from Michael Reichmann or other pros...but that doesn't mean it isn't so.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    noeltykay wrote:

2828418761_75ace5b875_b.jpg
    tel

Hi Noel

I am using LR2 on an iMac as well. I never used LR1. I also have those 'beachball' moments after moving a slider and it is frustrating. I am not importing from cards into LR, as I didn't immediately see how to change my organizational structure, so instead I import without copying from my original storage. I haven't wanted to bring my whole library in yet. What I thought I had concluded so far was that LR2 was better for batch processing sports shots, but that I would probably use ACR&PSCS3 for editing landscapes. Did so last night, and was wishing I was in LR2. I really prefer the adjustments that can be done with LR, so I may end up doing all conversions in LR2. I think many people could survive with just LR2 rather than CS3.
    Now, if Adobe could resolve the 'hang time' problem, I would be extremely happy.

I guess this neither addresses your question or Nik's....
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2008
    I made one change...on my iMac the application had been starting in 32 bit mode. I read that you have to uncheck the "Open in 32 Bit Mode" box under the "Get Info" window of the application.

*Finder
    *Applications
    *Commad click Lightroom 2
    *Select "Get Info"
    *Uncheck "Open in 32 Bit Mode"

It helped only slightly. I guess I will just have to wait for an update ne_nau.gif

LR2.jpg
    Ann McRae wrote:
    tel

Hi Noel

I am using LR2 on an iMac as well. I never used LR1. I also have those 'beachball' moments after moving a slider and it is frustrating. I am not importing from cards into LR, as I didn't immediately see how to change my organizational structure, so instead I import without copying from my original storage. I haven't wanted to bring my whole library in yet. What I thought I had concluded so far was that LR2 was better for batch processing sports shots, but that I would probably use ACR&PSCS3 for editing landscapes. Did so last night, and was wishing I was in LR2. I really prefer the adjustments that can be done with LR, so I may end up doing all conversions in LR2. I think many people could survive with just LR2 rather than CS3.
    Now, if Adobe could resolve the 'hang time' problem, I would be extremely happy.

I guess this neither addresses your question or Nik's....