Options

Link from one gallery to another

CardenCarden Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited September 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I would like a visitor to click from one gallery to another via a link, on the page, without taking them to my homepage.

I'm sorry if this has been covered I just can't seem to find any references.

Thank you,

Carden

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited September 11, 2008
    Carden wrote:
    I would like a visitor to click from one gallery to another via a link, on the page, without taking them to my homepage. Would I need a Nav Bar to do this or can I place a link somewhere else?
    You can use a nav bar, or you can place a link in the gallery description.

If you'd like to see an example of a link in a gallery description, take a look at one of my galleries - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/gallery/5822296_D4o2e#362017095_CBqia. The description contains two links.

Use <a href= html statement to embed the link.

Here's an example from the gallery that I pointed to above:
    Click for other <a href="/gallery/5797891_5joKk">A tale of two - August 2008</< b>a> or <a href="/gallery/4859072_Z5YkN">Travel</a> galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Carden wrote:
    I would like a visitor to click from one gallery to another via a link, on the page, without taking them to my homepage.

I'm sorry if this has been covered I just can't seem to find any references.

For example; I have a football gallery and would like to allow visitors there to see my soccer or any other related galleries but not my wedding or personal galleries.

Thank you,

Carden

Hmmm. I think I found your site to see how you have it organized: http://carden.smugmug.com/. To further explain to folks. It looks like you are using hide owner so people don't easily find your other galleries, but you now want them to be able to see a few galleries. I presume you send them a link to a specific gallery now and, because of hide owner, that's all they generally can see.

In addition to Denise's suggsetion of placing a link in the gallery description, you might also check out sharegroups which are designed to allow you to share multiple galleries that aren't otherwise categorized together. In fact, galleries shared via a sharegroup can even be unlisted galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    In addition to Denise's method, you might want to consider a drop down menu like I have here.

If your interested I'll post the code cuz I have no idea where I found the tut to do it. Lemme know.

The downside to it is that every time you add a gallery you have to update the drop down menu in all the other galleries but that's just a copy and paste operation.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    If your interested I'll post the code cuz I have no idea where I found the tut to do it. Lemme know.
    Yes please Chuck. When you get a chance I would love to try the code for the dropdown.

Denise, Yes I am chosing to hide owner on certain galleries but am learning the disadvantages of this. It is becoming obvious to me I need to refine my smug organization skills to my advantage. Also, thanks John for the sharegroups idea, I hadn't considered that.

Thanks for the info. There are so many endless possibilities. And thanks to the Dgrin moderators for moving my post from the other forum. I should have started here...

Carden
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    I haven't seen a tutorial for this yet but I did find this thread a while back:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=93954&highlight=menu+gallery

Been planning on trying it on my website when I find some time!

Jon

www.cxphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    OK ... here's the code for the drop down menu:

*DIV align="center">
    *form name="jump">
    *select name="menu" onChange="location=document.jump.menu.options[document.jump.menu.selectedIndex].value;" value="GO" style="#000000:''; color: #FFFFFF; font-style: italic; border: 0px solid; background: #325d8b">
    *option value="http://www.socalimages.com/">Quick Gallery Links*/option>
    *option value="/gallery/4372113_cuDHA">Home*/option>
    *option value="/gallery/3894135_z5RqV#P-1-15">Beach & Seascapes*/option>
    *option value="/gallery/3894248_EzXsm#P-1-15">Surfing & Surfers*/option>
    *option value="/gallery/3894212_WtZ3w#P-1-15">Coastal Wildlife*/option>
    *option value="/gallery/3894224_fvVH8#P-1-15">Ships & Boats*/option>
    */select>*/p>*/div>*/html>

Replace all the *'s with <'s ... it's the only way I could figure out how to prevent the code from executing. I'm sure there's a better way.

Obviously, substitute your own gallery addresses and text. You can also tweak the alignment, and font characteristics, etc to your own liking.

In the mean time, thanks to Marlowe, I think I generated the code from this site which RichW referred me to. Check it out. You can also check the link she provided.

Hope this helps.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options

In the mean time, thanks to Marlowe, I think I generated the code from this site which RichW referred me to. Check it out. You can also check the link she provided.

Hope this helps.

Thank You! I'll try it in the morning when I have some time to mess with it. I think this may solve some of the navigation issues I am causing myself in attempting to do this. I'll let you know and thanks again.

Carden
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2008

Hope this helps.

Thank again. It appears to work great except when I am logged into my homepage it messes with my control panel button. I think somehow I need to put more separation between the header and those buttons. I'll try to get some advice or experiments. Thanks again. Carden
  • Options
    I think that if you just put a simple *br> after the menu code it'll create the space you're looking for. Remember to replace the * with a <. Try it and see. One or two above the code may give you a little space above the menu as well.

BTW, what part of NYS are you from. I have family there.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    Carden wrote:
    Thank again. It appears to work great except when I am logged into my homepage it messes with my control panel button. I think somehow I need to put more separation between the header and those buttons. I'll try to get some advice or experiments. Thanks again. Carden
    See if this works.
    Give it a div name so some bottom margin can be added.
    Change the bold in your header

<div align="center">
    <form name="jump">

to this

<div id="myMenu">
    <form name="jump">

Add this to your CSS

#myMenu {
    text-align: center;
    margin-bottom: 20px;
    }
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2008
    I think that if you just put a simple *br> after the menu code it'll create the space you're looking for. Remember to replace the * with a <. Try it and see. One or two above the code may give you a little space above the menu as well.

BTW, what part of NYS are you from. I have family there.

Just saw your reply Chuck. Sorry. i'll try your suggestion. I'm just getting used to this board. I chose email notification when i get a reply but I guess I need to go back and make sure everything is right. I'm not getting any.

BTW, Upstate southern Adirondack region. North of a little town called St. Johnsville.