Options

Simple question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Technique
My friend Dave works in construction and take photos showing job progress, and various issues pertaining to the job. He really can benefit by having the camera date, and time stamp the image.

He has a Canon 30D. Do you know if the 30D has this feature, and if so how to access it?

Thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    My friend Dave works in construction and take photos showing job progress, and various issues pertaining to the job. He really can benefit by having the camera date, and time stamp the image.

He has a Canon 30D. Do you know if the 30D has this feature, and if so how to access it?

Thanks,

Sam

Pretty much all digital cameras record the date and time stamp with the digital image. Nearly every photo tool can access this date and time stamp. If he's using Windows, he can just go to Windows Explorer, select the desired image, right click on it and it will show him the time/date the photo was taken. On Vista, it's in the details tab - probably something similar for XP.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Sam wrote:

Thanks,

Sam
    As mentioned above, date/time is in the EXIF. But, I don't think that's what you are asking. I think you are asking if the 30D will imprint the date/time in the image. If so, I don't think this is possible.

I used to have a P&S that did this. I don't even know if current P&S cameras do this any more.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    You know it is funny, Sam. I had an Olympus OM-1 with a data back that would time stamp each emulsion when shot 30 years ago.

Modern DSLRs all record this information in the EXIF data as Scott said, but I am not familiar with one that embeds the data visibly in the image. It seems like that would just be a software trick to do too, doesn't it?

One can transfer the data in an image editor, of course, but for a legal record, having the camera do it automagically, at the time of exposure, would be better wouldn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Thanks for the responses. Yes I wanted to know if it's possible to have the camera automatically put the date, and time on the image. I had a 35mm point, ans shoot film camera that would do this.

Sure seems like it would be a piece of cake for a digital SLR camera to do this. I know many of the PS digital cameras will.

I know how to find the information in the EXIF data, but having it printed on the bottom say of every image would help when looking at a large number of images from one job site and comparing day to day progress.

Sam
  • Options
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks for the responses. Yes I wanted to know if it's possible to have the camera automatically put the date, and time on the image. I had a 35mm point, ans shoot film camera that would do this.

Sure seems like it would be a piece of cake for a digital SLR camera to do this. I know many of the PS digital cameras will.

I know how to find the information in the EXIF data, but having it printed on the bottom say of every image would help when looking at a large number of images from one job site and comparing day to day progress.

Sam

There is software that will do this after you get the images on your computer. It reads the data from the image, converts it to a font/bitmap and then merges that into the image to end up with the same result that film cameras used to be able to do. I know there are Photoshop actions that can do this and I suspect a Google search will find others.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,850 moderator
    Sam,

If you want to use Freeware to add the Date and Time stamps here is a way to do it (on a Windows machine).

CutePDF is a virtual printer driver that adds PDF file printing to the host computer. The concept is to use the PDF files to hold the output images which contain a composite of the original image superimposed by the date and time. You could also use a virtual print driver that outputs JPG files, but I like the PDFs. (The freeware version works fine for this.)

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

IrfanView can be used to do the actual overlay. You do need to install both the base product and the plugins.

http://www.irfanview.com/

To create the overlay as a header or footer you can load the original image, select the Print function from the File menu (or Ctrl-P), add the following text and switches:

374859498_GGFmu-O.jpg

Note the $F $T to insert the filename and time/date information.

Here's how it prints on the PDF (I cropped it to the relevent top of page):

374859540_oYxL3-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Hello all :D
    This is a real good example of the quality of this forum. :D
    thumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbow
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Sam wrote:

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

I guess you could say that the answer is yes, sort of. If you print the photos directly from the camera using PictBridge, you have the option of imprinting the date and file number on the image during print. See page 137 of the 30D manual. (The manual is available on line from Canon)

Personally, I think I'd rather use one of the software solutions previously mentioned.
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Hi there, I found this thread for searching how to do the exact same thing. I have an EVOLT E-500. I have a client that wants the date and time stamped on the photos prior to me uploading them to their FTP address. Since this question was posted almost two years ago, I was wondering if anyone knows of any new methods to add the date and time to a photo. I have Elements 6......I was told Lightroom can do this, but I don't have that.......?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Another thought is to contact HarryB and ask how he created the frame for the images found in this post. I think that would be a good starting point for creating a PS action that would do the job .... automagically.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Hi there, I found this thread for searching how to do the exact same thing. I have an EVOLT E-500. I have a client that wants the date and time stamped on the photos prior to me uploading them to their FTP address. Since this question was posted almost two years ago, I was wondering if anyone knows of any new methods to add the date and time to a photo. I have Elements 6......I was told Lightroom can do this, but I don't have that.......?

What computer operating system?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What computer operating system?

Unfortunately I have Windows Vista...........
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    For Windows systems, try FastStone (the freeware version will work, but if you like it you should purchase it).

Once installed and you have selected the desired directory and selected the images within the directory that you wish to apply the visible timestamp:

Choose "Tools"
    Select "Batch Convert Selected Images"
    Checkmark the "Use Advanced Options"
    Click on the new "Advanced Options" button to open the options dialog window.
    Select the "Text" tab and checkmark the "Add Text" box to open another dialog window.
    Click on the "Insert a Variable" button.
    Select "EXIF Date/Time" and choose "Date and Time".
    Make your selections of shadow, background and font; position, X-Y offset and opacity.
    (Note that you can save these options to reload later and you can save multiple versions of options.)
    Click "OK" and you are back to the main conversion window.
    Make any further selections (output folder, file type, compression settings, etc.) and choose "Convert" to start the process.

I do recommend working against copies of the original files, just in case. You can also rename at the same time. This is very powerful stuff.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    For Windows systems, try FastStone (the freeware version will work, but if you like it you should purchase it).

what you mean ?
    faststone is freeware , not shareware , why purchase ???
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    what you mean ?

Without donations the software author has little incentive for improvement. A simple $25 donation goes a long way towards telling the author that you appreciate their work.

It's the right thing to do.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    what you mean ?
    Purchases and donations are what support the continuing development of programs like
    FastStone. If nobody contributes, then these excellent programs disappear and fail to get enhanced.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    yeah , that i understand
    offcourse you can donate , to everyone

but , freeware means free , no need to purchase

paying for freeware is weird , IMO
    although i admit that Faststone is one of the best freeware app's i ever seen
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    yeah , that i understand

I can't believe you are saying that paying for freeware is weird. If everyone thought like you, there would be no freeware. Freeware is simply shareware where they haven't forced you to pay. The economic model is exactly the same.

They need you to try the software and then pay for it if you like it. If nobody pays, they go out of business - whether payment is required or not. People aren't doing this because they want to give you free software. They are doing it because freeware is a low overhead way of distributing software that gives you the ability to try full featured software before committing any of your money.

You can decide whether to pay or not (because the author of the freeware software has allowed you to have access to the full featured software without paying), but to everyone else reading this thread, if you use freeware and don't pay, you are telling the author that you want fewer upgrades, that you don't care if they go out of business and that you don't want to encourage more freeware in the world.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    yeah , that i understand

Art comes in many flavors too! The folks that create these types of programs are artists in their own right. They share their art with the world, that is part of their joy...to know you liked it, used it, etc. So asking for a donation is just another avenue for you to express your appreciation for their art.

Giving gifts is in no way weird. Taking gifts is.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    Thank you so much Scott and Ziggy. I went with the FastStone program and it did exactly what I needed. Ziggy, you are now my favorite person in Illinois! I will play around with faststone a little more and definitely donate to them because I believe that it's the right thing to do! THANKS AGAIN!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Art comes in many flavors too!
    Giving gifts is in no way weird. Taking gifts is.

Not sure there is more than one flavor of me..but............................. :-}

There is that weird old saying...............Giving is better than receiving ....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 15, 2010
    shivam wrote: »
    hiiii,folks,
    whats the latest update???????/

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1419534&postcount=21
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jbakerphotojbakerphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    just a little side note....
    Infranview will do it all by itself.

goto file ->batch conversion/rename -> batch conversion settings box -> advanced - > add overlay text (bottom of middle column) -> settings -> append date -> append time

can do screen shots if you need it.

Infranview is only 12 it think.
    40D,Rebel XT,Tamron 17-50 2.8,Tamron 28-80 3.5-5.6, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8, Canon 580EX , Sunpack 383 w/ optical slave

www.jonbakerphotography.com