2»

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Mushy :D This a super fine shot. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb
    I was rather hoping someone
    would post an example like this. Star trails are way cool but so is 30 secs
    on its own, one frame, in the night sky + foreground.
    mushy wrote:
    CatOne that shot is stunning! Especially for a 30 min exposure, I always shoot much longer thinking I need to!headscratch.gif
    This isn't a star trail but a night time shot all the same
    202908837_fNnoK-L.jpg

ISO 3200, 33 Secs, F4, there is plenty of noise but it looks fine at this size:D
    I'm off to the middle of nowhere next weekend and will be experimenting with setting from this thread!
    Thanks allthumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    Do tree trails count? :D

Milky way rising
    209734580_ybLhj-L-1.jpg

I have to admit to never acually shooting a star trail. Will have to fix that.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    crashmastercrashmaster Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Do tree trails count? :D

Milky way rising

I have to admit to never acually shooting a star trail. Will have to fix that.

Hey, using a eq or barndoor mount is cheating! :D Actually nice catch of M31, the double cluster, and the pleadies!

Tree trails are good.mwink.gif
    Canon 40D
    SBIG STL-11000
    Alta U16M
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2008
    Great stuff here! One of my favorites...

113159682_tfYgn-L.jpg
    Chris
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    One from Mt. Rainier
    I woke up early on Saturday and headed out to Mt. Rainier for some sunrise and wildflower shots. I got there about 30 minutes before dawn after leaving home at 2:45 AM, and the sky was completely clear, and because there's no light pollution and the high elevation, I saw more stars than I had ever seen before in my life. Very cool.

Anyway, I didn't get there early enough to do a "proper" star trails shot, but since I didn't have anything to do until dawn, I tried an 8-minute exposure (and luckily got the mountain in focus which I could barely see through the viewfinder):

368975594_CWRjf-L.jpg
  • Options
    ThorBobThorBob Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2008
    38 minute exposure of the night skies over North Norway

273983_1280x1024.jpg

C&C always welcome!

Thor
  • Options
    dgritsdgrits Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2008
    Lessons learned...!!

I took the advice given on the forum and tried it again. I think it turned out much better! Please feel free to share your thoughts, etc...

(30s at ISO1000, 12mm, 84 minutes total exposure time, stacked with the fore mentioned action)

Dan

Star_Trails_3_med.jpg
    "No matter how sophisticated you may be, a large granite mountain cannot be denied - it speaks in silence to the very core of our being."

A. Adams
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    I've got my first true star trails :D

First a short 8 minute one. Guess what the constellations are :D

409317113_nyy45-L-1.jpg

A wider 48-minute trail, shot at the premier Finnish site for radioastronomy, Metsähovi.

409304398_nCfQt-L-1.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    A few from my recent trip:

396950504_njMbv-XL.jpg

404836172_dmncw-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    jamesl wrote:
    A few from my recent trip:

Love that first one! I'm guessing you had fading moon light helping with the foreground?
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Love that first one! I'm guessing you had fading moon light helping with the foreground?

Thanks! First shot was actually just before sunrise. Total exposure time was around 2 1/2 hours. Each shot was 4 minutes at F2.8 and ISO 400. The sky was totally black in each frame until about an hour before sunrise, then each frame started getting lighter and lighter.

The second shot had a small moon right behind me.

James
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Congrats Pyry on getting your first "true" star trails. thumb.gif

I tried it with digital the other night and didn't know I needed to
    turn off the camera's matching dark frame for each photo to be
    used in stacking effort. Spent a lot of time saying "what the heck"
    after each 30 sec exposure got followed by a 30 sec dark frame. :D
    Never did lock down "bulb" while out that night. Live and learn.

Of the two I like this one best. Really nice foreground interest getting
    to play its part.

The dominate constellation looks to be Ursa Major. A little bit of Draco above. Constellation pieces parts beyond that. :D
    pyry wrote:
    I've got my first true star trails :D

First a short 8 minute one. Guess what the constellations are :D

409317113_nyy45-L-1.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    Congrats Pyry on getting your first "true" star trails. thumb.gif

I tried it with digital the other night and didn't know I needed to
    turn off the camera's matching dark frame for each photo to be
    used in stacking effort. Spent a lot of time saying "what the heck"
    after each 30 sec exposure got followed by a 30 sec dark frame. :D
    Never did lock down "bulb" while out that night. Live and learn.

I've thought my camera had stuck it's shutter because I forgot I turned the danged dark frames on once...

You really need to have a gapless series of pictures for these things, I've noticed. I had to reject the first 2 minute exposure from the first pic because I did something to the camera - for about half a minute and caused a gap. The second - the airplane was in the middle of the exposure series! I put it in rather than produced a break in the trail. You can actually see me fiddling in that one.

DaddyO wrote:
    Of the two I like this one best. Really nice foreground interest getting to play its part.

The dominate constellation looks to be Ursa Major. A little bit of Draco above. Constellation pieces parts beyond that. :D

Thanks!

Right on the constellations there thumb.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2009
    Anyone know how a wide angle lense effects star trails?

I ask, because I'm off on a couple camping trips in a few weeks and have star trails earmarked as something I'm going to be doing. Does the wider angle of the lens emphasize the rotation in any way? Or are telephotos better?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Anyone know how a wide angle lense effects star trails?

I ask, because I'm off on a couple camping trips in a few weeks and have star trails earmarked as something I'm going to be doing. Does the wider angle of the lens emphasize the rotation in any way? Or are telephotos better?

You will need a longer shot (or composite) to show good trails with wide angles. This is because the stars have a longer way to go for a given length of trail in the final image.

Another thing is the distortion from the rectilinear corrections in the lens, see my second shot a few posts earlier for the effect. This should be correctable in post though.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    You will need a longer shot (or composite) to show good trails with wide angles. This is because the stars have a longer way to go for a given length of trail in the final image.

Another thing is the distortion from the rectilinear corrections in the lens, see my second shot a few posts earlier for the effect. This should be correctable in post though.

Thanks for the respose, Pyry! I kind of like the distortion from the wide angle lens... I'll give it a try... and hopefully end up with something worthy of posting! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 5, 2009
    I think most folks shoot star trails pretty wide. If you want that circular look, it's the way to go.

These are my first two star trails, taken at Death Valley.

Single shot, 12 minute exposure
    IMG_4388.jpg

Single shot, 1 hour exposure
    IMG_4393.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I think most folks shoot star trails pretty wide. If you want that circular look, it's the way to go.

These are my first two star trails, taken at Death Valley.

Single shot, 12 minute exposure
    IMG_4388.jpg

Thanks for sharing, KDog!
    This one appears to have 2 different rotations... the top left and bottom right each seem to have their own rotations... I wonder if that's an effect of the wide angle lens or some other phenomenon... You didn't discover some bizarre new dimension while you were out there, did you?! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    You didn't discover some bizarre new dimension while you were out there, did you?! rolleyes1.gif
    :wow :s85

Hehe, good catch. Yeah, it's a super-wide 13mm shot looking directly south. So the polar rotation is overshadowed by the wide angle barrel distortion. Kinda cool, huh? :D
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Kinda cool, huh? :D

Nah... It's very cool!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Here is my contribution to the Star Trail Thread. I should have posted it closer to the shoot date.

This is a stacked composite of 155 images taken over an hour and a half.

There are a few airplanes in the image and if you look closely at the original you can see 3 satellites.

Fun stuff!

370014033_uJ5Uk-L.jpg

The original is located in http://gnooj.smugmug.com/gallery/4693268_wa6m7/1/370014033_uJ5Uk
  • Options
    GKR1GKR1 Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2009
    Cool shot.

Looking at the original I see the little dots that connect to make the rings and it seems a lot of work to stack pics and PP.

Anyone uses just film for these super long exposures? Seems like the way to go about it.

Anyone just use long exposure with long exposure NR turned on?

Thanks
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    I got hooked on star/milky way shots doing a Dgrin challenge a couple of months ago. This is a composite of Mt Rainier at dusk with 13 stacked 30 second 1600 ISO f4.6 (Nikon D40) images of the Milky Way. I used Jim Solomon's Astrophotography Cookbook article to take the stack shots (flats/darks/bias etc) and then used DeepSkyStacker (free program) for stacking and NR. First attempt at this, and I think it turned out pretty well.

600705005_scFn7-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    bf2015 wrote:
    This is a composite of Mt Rainier at dusk with 13 stacked 30 second 1600 ISO f4.6 (Nikon D40) images of the Milky Way.

Absolutely outstanding image. clap.gifclap
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2009
    An awesome image bowdown.gif
    bf2015 wrote:
    I got hooked on star/milky way shots doing a Dgrin challenge a couple of months ago. This is a composite of Mt Rainier at dusk with 13 stacked 30 second 1600 ISO f4.6 (Nikon D40) images of the Milky Way. I used Jim Solomon's Astrophotography Cookbook article to take the stack shots (flats/darks/bias etc) and then used DeepSkyStacker (free program) for stacking and NR. First attempt at this, and I think it turned out pretty well.

600705005_scFn7-XL.jpg
    Randy
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    whoops
    Star trails redux.

I took this shot a few months ago. Had a good night without much wind, and and the moon set before midnight, so I had dark hours after midnight when the planes let up (I'm under a fairly major flight path here- we have a drinking game where you have to drink everywhere you see a plane!). Two 45 minute exposures, combined in GIMP. Horizon glow is Vegas >100 miles away (I've posted this one before).

722989452_HRHdS-L-1.jpg

Wanted to try stacking multiple short exposures next time. Only had one night this time with low enough wind to dare leaving my camera out, and the moon rose about midnight (I went to bed ~10), so there are quite a few planes. 99 1 minute exposures, no dark image correction at all, combined in GIMP. The multiple stacking really cuts down on the ambient sky light. I changed the levels in the later shots to get rid of the ambient moon glow except for the hill illumination. I wanted to redo it to get closer to the sleeping bag, but it was too windy on subsequent nights to leave my camera out, hopefully I'll get out again soon to redo.
    829606305_8UbY7-L.jpg

For some reason I had the idea that I needed a gap between shots to let the sensor cool. It was probably ~50 F during the shooting. 5 second gaps were too much for the periphery, but okay for the center of the whorl. I guess if it's 50, I don't need to let the sensor cool, what about if it it's 80 degrees F in the evening when I'm doing multiple long exposures?

829606384_kzCeQ-L.jpg
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.