Options

Soccer Theory

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited April 18, 2005 in Sports
I thought I had arrived, but alas, after reading some excellent feedback on a photo in my gallery -- I'm back to _working_ on my kraft :)

This weeks galleries
4th Grade
2nd Grade
1st Grade

I slowed the shutter down to get a bit of motion blur:

19798878-L.jpg

19798347-L.jpg
I've been a confirmed jpg shooter, but ever since RAW Shooter came out, I've been shooting raw. Love the workflow.

Currently, I shoot RAW+Jpg, convert in RSE with sharpening...then crop with jpg crops.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    I got down in the grass, on my belly, to try and add some variety to my shots.

19816276-L.jpg

Now, I do have a sizable gut...so it was NOT the most comfortable shooting position I ever tried. Other than the discomfort, I found it surprisingly difficult to follow the action, frame and shoot from that position.

Still....for variety's sake, I think the effort was worth it.

Gallery

19816376-L.jpg

Lee
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    cool, I con forsee myself trying the low angle next time on soccer, nice shots. I use low angles a lot, but for some reason never tried that on soccer yet.

James.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I did like your down-low vantage point. Makes you feel as if you are part of the action, rather than looking down at the action. As a compromise, could you do it while kneeling? And if so, would that be easier to follow the action with?

And just how "slow" was your shutter speed on those blur shots?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I did like your down-low vantage point. Makes you feel as if you are part of the action, rather than looking down at the action. As a compromise, could you do it while kneeling? And if so, would that be easier to follow the action with?
    Sitting on the ground with the camera on the knee (or so) will certainly give you that "eye level" look.

Not quite the same look as having the camera inches from the ground pointed up...but probably a LOT more comforatable :)
    mercphoto wrote:
    And just how "slow" was your shutter speed on those blur shots?
    Around 1/250 to 1/320 or so. You can get the exact exif's by going to the galleries.

Lee
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    cool, I con forsee myself trying the low angle next time on soccer, nice shots. I use low angles a lot, but for some reason never tried that on soccer yet.
    Probably just as good to sit on the ground instead of lay face down for shots.

Then again, I can imagine quite a dramatic look at an on goal kick taken from the ground mere feet away looking up at the players.

Lee
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 18, 2005
    Lee,

I like both minor modifications you tried. The slower speed is a nice change of pace (especially if you can still get sharp faces) and the "grass level" shots are also very kewl and not often seen thumb.gifthumb.gif

These all came out nicely clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    Lee,

I like both minor modifications you tried. The slower speed is a nice change of pace (especially if you can still get sharp faces) and the "grass level" shots are also very kewl and not often seen thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Thanks. I was trying to add some variety.

Here's a different shot

19816665-L.jpg

Not the most exciting action shot, but I just LOVE that bridge in the background.

Lee