Options

Buttons of mass destruction?

luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys,

What's the best way of deleting *a lot* of galleries? Is there a 'destroy all categories, albums, etc. data associated with account' functionality?

I know from a quick search that there isn't a bulk delete function, is there any kind of 'delete all' functionality?

OK, probably wishfull thinking, prize idiot here has just created a lot of galleries in the wrong place, to the extent that blasting the site would be quicker, and easier on the hands than deleting them manually...

Is the API the way to go? :uhoh Or does someone know a better/easier way?

Cheers,

Luke

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2005
    Hi guys,

What's the best way of deleting *a lot* of galleries? Is there a 'destroy all categories, albums, etc. data associated with account' functionality?

I know from a quick search that there isn't a bulk delete function, is there any kind of 'delete all' functionality?

OK, probably wishfull thinking, prize idiot here has just created a lot of galleries in the wrong place, to the extent that blasting the site would be quicker, and easier on the hands than deleting them manually...

Is the API the way to go? :uhoh Or does someone know a better/easier way?

Cheers,

Luke

i'm not positive (being a mac user - ahem, nik - koff koff koff) but i think star*explorer may allow this?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm not positive (being a mac user - ahem, nik - koff koff koff) but i think star*explorer may allow this?
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the idea... It doesn't obviously have delete functionality, and bizzarely doesn't seem to display by 170 galleries with no photos in them...

(I accidentally created them all in 'Food'... I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something)

Cheers anyhow,

Luke
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    hahaha, I asked for this a few weeks ago...I had to delete 300+ galleries manually...I just did at 50 a day, more if I had time, and got it done in under a week...:cry
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the idea... It doesn't obviously have delete functionality, and bizzarely doesn't seem to display by 170 galleries with no photos in them...

(I accidentally created them all in 'Food'... I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something)

Cheers anyhow,

Luke
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2005
    No, sorry..
    andy wrote:
    I didn't get to "delete" part yet..ne_nau.gif
    I will some time soon, though..:):
    Keep the faith!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 9, 2005
    Luke,

I have delete functionality on single album level for my firefox extension. it shouldn't be too difficult to mod this to delete all albums in a given category or sub category.

let me know.

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    Luke,

let me know.
    Thanks David,

I'll probably just hack something together...

I'm going to have to, to get the unit testing engine working properly anyhow.

I've now registed another account, so I don't have to do testing on my main photo storage one..... A litlle overdue perhaps!

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread.. But, I'd LOVE to see SmugBrowser with the ability to delete an entire hierarchy of folders, etc.. Of course, some sort of 'Are you absolutely sure?' warning buzzer should go off to avoid a very large OOPS, but.. Otherwise, it would be fantastic! (or, Nik - care to add the feature to S*E?)
  • Options
    hobbeshobbes Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I too would love to have the ability to nuke an entire gallery and it's sub galleries.

Another option if that isn't workable is I would like to rename a category to something like junk (or something that smugmug would recognize) and when it gets sent to that the whole works gets set to private so at least it can't be seen by clients.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2008
    Any word on this yet? I've got hundreds of galleries that could be taken down if this was available.

Thanks
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    hobbes wrote:
    Any word on this yet? I've got hundreds of galleries that could be taken down if this was available.

Thanks

I know this is probably necessary functionality, and people need this to happen.

But I would caution anyone who does implement this, it is opening a potentially disastrous ending.

I for one would be scared to death to implement something like this and then have someone comeback and say "Well, I used it, but I goofed, even though it asked me 11 times if I was really sure I wanted to delete all my galleries. Can I get a restore done?"

maybe that's just the software guy in me being paranoid.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    Well, the delete function could have an "Are you sure?" response first so you can't just accidently hit one button and nuke your photos. But I think this is a very necessary thing to have. I bet it would save Smugmug a mountain of server space as well.
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    hobbes wrote:
    Well, the delete function could have an "Are you sure?" response first so you can't just accidently hit one button and nuke your photos. But I think this is a very necessary thing to have. I bet it would save Smugmug a mountain of server space as well.

I understand. Understand from my perspective as well, coming from the software side of things, my day job company has a product that has a couple functions where you are asked "Are you sure?" TWICE and people STILL DON'T READ THE DIALOG and screw themselves up numerous times.

If someone can screw up, they will.

Mike.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    people STILL DON'T READ THE DIALOG and screw themselves up numerous times.

He He - I'm with Mike on this one, no one reads those dialogs any more. What I have used before is to make people type 'I am really, really sure' before the action but I KNOW that it will still go wrong some time....

Rich
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    hobbes wrote:

Thanks
    SmugBrowser, the Firefox addon is the easiest way.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that now.