Options

iGliss - Any Concerns?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    Curious to know why the site is dead. Possibly to give them time to remove all the unauthorized content? If this was an honest mistake, I'm ok with that as long as they remove my images. If they knew this would happen and just hoped people wouldn't complain though, that's bad. Guess we may never know.
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    Yes, very interesting that the site appears dead to me now. Curious if this is happening to everyone else too? Everyone?

I got a response from them too saying they removed my photos and that my photos got collected because they have a program that goes out and searches the net for images on public feeds.

It will be interesting to see if the site comes back alive. Hopefully the site is really down and they haven't just blocked the subnet my IP address was coming from so it simply looks dead to me and others that complained. That's why I'd like to know if this is happening to people that have never visited that site at all. Please chime in people. Let me know if www.igliss.com appears dead to you too.
    Thanks
    I tried to connect from three different locations and the site looks to be completely down from all of them, so I think it probably is.

Since they seem to be responsive to people's concerns I suspect this may be a case of someone having a great idea for a site without fully understanding or appreciating some of the issues involved in carrying out their plan. The whole concept that re-publishing the copyrighted work of others would be a problem may not have occurred to them. (I know this sounds absolutely nuts to us, but to someone from another industry, or maybe a bunch of young people freshly out of college, it may not have been so obvious.)

Dale
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    We will continue to remove those pictures that are shared without the publishers' permission.

I would guess that nobody from smugmug gave them permission, so can we have someone from Smugmug officially request that ALL smugmug pictures be removed so that each user doesn't have to go request removal?
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    scwalter wrote:
    I would guess that nobody from smugmug gave them permission, so can we have someone from Smugmug officially request that ALL smugmug pictures be removed so that each user doesn't have to go request removal?
    I already did that, but I still suggest that you write them as well. support@igliss.com and info@igliss.com
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    I already did that, but I still suggest that you write them as well. support@igliss.com and info@igliss.com

Good to hear, thanks Andy. I'll email just to be doubly sure.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    iGliss site back up...
    The iGliss site is back up, but as far as I can tell they are no longer "hosting" any photos that came from my site. I can't find any photos with links back to Smugmug at all, so I suspect they removed Smugmug from their list of targets and purged any photos they had already copied.

They still seem to be grabbing a lot of photos from Photobucket and Flickr. I don't know what the terms of service are for those sites, but I suspect iGliss is still "hosting" content that they don't have rights to.

I would be curious if anyone else still finds their photos on the iGliss site without authorization.

Dale
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    I noticed they were up too. I made a note to myself to check every week to see what the status is. So far no photos of mine (at least not that I can find by searching my smugmug username). I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe they really did re-work the site to not harvest photos from smugmug. I hope so.