Options

SoCal - Vandenberg missile launch tonight

OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
edited September 24, 2008 in Location, Location, Location!
I Love night launches! :clap

Weather permitting, should be visible as far away as San Francisco, San Diego and Reno. Window is 11:30p - 12:30a. Count down may not be public since this is a military experiment.

You can get updated info, info on how to photograph, and lots of other good stuff here. If the countdown is public, there is usually some really good live info posted to that webpage as well.

Comments

• Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Way cool!! I'll have to set an alarm as a reminder so I can watch it from my balcony in Carlsbad. We overlook the ocean from about 4 miles inland and face North West so if the lousy old marine layer doesn't come in it should be a good view. Thanks for the info.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2008
    Well, I watched for it, albeit off and on, and didn't see a thing. I didn't see where the web site gives any indication that it actually launched but but perhaps it hasn't been updated yet.

Do you have any further info? Did I just miss it?
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    Brian Webb (who runs the site and is usually right on top of things) sent out an e-mail just before 1am that there was some conflicting info being sent out about the launch window. I hung in until 2am and gave up.

It is strange that he hasn't provided an update since then. I know that it was supposed to be coordinated with the passing of a satellite, and that the military did not want the exact countdown to be public knowledge. Don't know how those things may have played in to what happened (or didn't happen) last night.

I'll let you know if I get any updates.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    OffTopic wrote:
    I Love night launches! clap.gif
    Darn, looks like I missed it, only found this thread today, i.e. post-factum :bash
    EDIT: oh well, I subsribed to their alerts now mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Vandenberg is reporting that the missile was successfully launched at 11:57pm last night. I guess the marine layer was too heavy down here because my eyes were glued to the sky and I didn't see a thing. I was hoping that once it broke through the marine layer I would be able to see it.
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    Darn, looks like I missed it, only found this thread today, i.e. post-factum :bash

Nikolai you can subscribe to Brian's list in the link in my first post. He'll send out a reminder e-mail before the event, and keep you informed of last minute changes.

He usually does a fantastic job, I'm still wondering what exactly happened last night because he didn't know it was launched either.
  • Options
    OffTopic wrote:
    Nikolai you can subscribe to Brian's list in the link in my first post. He'll send out a reminder e-mail before the event, and keep you informed of last minute changes.

He usually does a fantastic job, I'm still wondering what exactly happened last night because he didn't know it was launched either.
    Just did:-) mwink.gifdeal.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    I can't say if I was watching at that time or not but even if I was I think you're closer than I am so if you didn't see it it's not likely that I would have either. Maybe next time.

The shots I really love are the ones they do right around sunset that leave those beautiful multicolored trails n the sky. I'd love to witness the actual launch some time.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    The shots I really love are the ones they do right around sunset that leave those beautiful multicolored trails n the sky. I'd love to witness the actual launch some time.
    yeah... that would help with dss#9, too mwink.gif