Options

Favorites

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited November 6, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I shoot weddings and have a gallery for each wedding, and a favorites gallery.

Is their an easier way of getting a photo copied to the favorites? As of now I have to copy the photo, and them move the copy. This, of course, doubles the space used as well.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    I shoot weddings and have a gallery for each wedding, and a favorites gallery.

Is their an easier way of getting a photo copied to the favorites? As of now I have to copy the photo, and them move the copy. This, of course, doubles the space used as well.

Lee
    Hi Lee,

Copying the photo, and then moving it to your favorites gallery is the only way i see, besides uploading a second copy. I wish i had a better answer for you. Did you have anything specific in mind? ear.gif And you don't have to worry about the space, it's unlimited!
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Lee,

Copying the photo, and then moving it to your favorites gallery is the only way i see, besides uploading a second copy. I wish i had a better answer for you. Did you have anything specific in mind? ear.gif And you don't have to worry about the space, it's unlimited!

check out this thread.... you need to be a power user at least. Creates a featured "gallery" made from a keyword url....
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Did you have anything specific in mind? ear.gif And you don't have to worry about the space, it's unlimited!

Space is unlimited -- which I appreciate. But I don't see a reason to abuse this generosity. $150/yr and I already have 28gig of photos online?

As for "anything specific in mind"....

1. Photo "lives" in one place.
    2. Photo can be "organized" into more than one place
    3. Ability to categorize/tag individual photos and then display/search based on those categories.

Lee
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    check out this thread.... you need to be a power user at least. Creates a featured "gallery" made from a keyword url....

More work than I'd have liked, but thanks for letting me know it can be done.

Lee
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Upload dups, use keywords in Bridge
    leebase wrote:
    More work than I'd have liked, but thanks for letting me know it can be done.

Lee

I use keywords in Adobe Bridge, then use a Bridge seach on the keywords to isolate photos on one particular keyword, then upload a separate copy to the favorites gallery. I can't use the Smugmug keyword option because my galleries have to be password protected and the keyword searches don't work in password protected galleries. So, I'm forced to just upload duplicates.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Why is there not an option to "copy to gallery" along with "move to gallery?" Zenfolio has "collections" which can be named "my favorites" and you can quickly go through your gallery and add them to your "my favorites" collection. It then puts a copy in your collection. Quick and easy. Although "copy to gallery" seems like it would work just as well. Is there a reason this is not doable? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    I'll second that request for 'copy to gallery' which would unify the current duplicate/move two-step. (Are me too's frowned upon?)
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    Feature Request - Copy To Album
    An oldie, but a goodie. (Running up against this problem because I've got to copy a bunch of photos out of a bunch of albums to a single one. Creating Duplicates and Moving is annoying me.)

And oh look, a few other people have requested this too:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=343790&postcount=380
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=808818&postcount=47
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=477383#post477383
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=890181&postcount=31
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=931469&postcount=144

Feh, I'm tired of cutting and pasting links. Just look at this Google search:

site: dgrin.com "copy to album"

Yes Andy, I understand there's an issue with the cost of disk space, and that you'd prefer that people not do a lot of bulk copying.

But look at it from our POV. We've been requesting a "Copy To Album" function (ideally bulk) for at least 2 years now, and since SmugMug hasn't taken that time to implement virtual galleries or aliases of some kind (wherein you'd only have to store one copy of an image and link to it), it seems a bit disingenuous to excuse this inconvenience for users as a means to protect your Amazon S3 bill.
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2008
    I don't see how they are saving a dime by not implementing virtual galleries. I've simply decided to upload full resolution images to different galleries if I have to. Seems a bit of a waste but that is what SmugMug wants us to do. ne_nau.gif
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Uber-Thread for "Copy To Gallery" / "Virtual Gallery" Feature Request:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110537