Options

Pre-Yosemite: SF Wed/Thu

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 22, 2005 in The Big Picture
I decided to bite the bullet, take the whole first week of May off and instead of having a red-eye drive to park early Friday morning take a lazy ride up PCH (Hwy 1, going by the coast!) though the Big Sur and other nice places.:clap

My target is to get to Bay Area/SF some time Wednesday to have a chance to meet all the crowd who comes in early (or lucky enough to live in that area).
My current hope is to keep Wednesday night + whole Thursday open for meetn'-n-shootn'.:):

So if there is already any meet plannning in progress and the existing crowd does not mind another smugmuger, I'd like to jump on the wagon.

Otherwise we can organize a new one within this thread. I remember reading some posts about thursday dinner, but didn't see the final schedule..:dunno

I've been to SF a few times, so in the worst case scenario I can even be a decent guide for some out-of-town folks (Hey Michiele:-). However if the *real* guide is present, I'd gladly follow:-)

I'm open for any suggestions:-):thumb
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    A place in SF/BA to spent two nights?
    I'm planning to spend two nights in general SF area (or, shall I say, Bay Area south of SF), Wed and Thu, with the intent to start very early Friday morning (or very late Thursday night) and get to Yosemite as early as possible.

Is there a place where a lot/some of the out-of-town smugmuggers gonna hang out?
    I will also be able to give somebody a (free) ride to the park (actually, I can take up to 3 ppl with me).

Any advise is heartly appreciated. Exact location does not matter, as long as it would allow me get to SF within an 60/90 minutes. I'd rather prefer to be in a good company 50 miles away that staying on the Union Square all by me lonesome..

TIA
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Nobody?
    ..bump..headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    I live in the area
    Nikolai wrote:
    ..bump..headscratch.gif

But I'm not sure what my plans are.

We plan to leave early, like pre dawn on Friday, but until then I'll be in town!

I can suggest some neat places on the coast to visit if you don't want to do city stuff.

Except for Golden Gate Park and Crissy Field, we don't do much San Francisco stuff, and we're on a tight budget right now so a nice dinner is out, fast food 99 cent menu is in :D

But if no one chimes in maybe we could meet up if you want some company. I thought Gus was going to meet up with some people and I believe Steve will be in the area, as is Ian. They are more South bay, I'm on the Peninsula, south of Daly City on the coast.

I like to bring people to the Montara Lighthouse Hostel, which is only open in the morning and late afternoon to visitors, but it's very pretty, nice trees, surf, rocks, lighthouse, houses, etc. and it's free...

We have an alpaca farm nearby, with a long lens you can shoot them from the fence.

A local park has hiking and supposedly a waterfall (small parking fee)

Half Moon Bay has some old buildings, the Johnson House (salt box architecture) and lots of ocean front parks.

The cliff house is recently opened with it's new buildings.

The windmill has pretty flowers this time of year in Golden Gate Park,

Stow lake has lots of ducks, gulls and some turtles, you can rent a boat and row around, or rent a paddle boat

It's expensive to park in the city so we usually avoid it...

The Presidio has free parking and lots of photo opps...

But like you, I thought a bunch of guys were planning something in the city...
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Dee,
    Thank you for time and your great answer!clap.gif
    Much obliged!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Nik im arriving sometime on wed...i cant sleep on big tin bird as i am required to assist the pilot flying via telepathy...if i sleep...we crash ..its that easy. So i recon sleep will be in order for me 1st up. Im off to some place (the name of which escapes me) the next day via train to meet up & hitch a ride with Bee-bop & Rocksteady....(andy & steve).

Gus
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Gus
    Humungus wrote:
    Nik im arriving sometime on wed...i cant sleep on big tin bird as i am required to assist the pilot flying via telepathy...if i sleep...we crash ..its that easy. So i recon sleep will be in order for me 1st up. Im off to some place (the name of which escapes me) the next day via train to meet up & hitch a ride with Bee-bop & Rocksteady....(andy & steve).

Gus
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll see you in on the shooting range then :):
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Me and Greaper should be in SF around 9:30pm hopefully to our hotel by 10:30 at the latest. I'd be up for a few drinks, shooting, whatever after that. I'm always up for fun.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Yay!
    Me and Greaper should be in SF around 9:30pm hopefully to our hotel by 10:30 at the latest. I'd be up for a few drinks, shooting, whatever after that. I'm always up for fun.
    On what day and what hotel?

10:30 pm may be a bit late for shooting pikchas (not too late for other "shhoting":-) although we can always get to Presidio and GGB, they have their own light sources..

It's starting to look like we actually may pull this off thumb.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    Sorry I thought I mentioned that part. Thursday.

Hilton San Francisco/ Fisherman's Wharf

2620 Jones Street
    San Francisco, California 94133

We will also be staying over sunday night

Holiday Inn Golden Gateway - San Francisco

1500 Van Ness Ave.
    San Francisco, California 9410
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2005
    On that note Gary, we need to make some arrangments. I just PMed Dkapp (our ride) and he told me he will not be going to Yosemite, and that he posted it in the yosemite thread some time back.

In any case, we are back to bein on foot in SF.

2 midwestern guys hitchin a ride... Yosemite or bust....
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    Fancy, aren't we:-)?
    Sorry I thought I mentioned that part. Thursday.

Hilton San Francisco/ Fisherman's Wharf

2620 Jones Street
    San Francisco, California 94133

We will also be staying over sunday night

Holiday Inn Golden Gateway - San Francisco

1500 Van Ness Ave.
    San Francisco, California 9410
    Wow, Hiltion, FW.. Nice place, close to everything!
    I'm not sure if I manage to stay there, but I'll definitely come there for a beer.gif . It's a great "base" for any walking/shooting trips, too!
    Too bad it's Thursday night, and we need to start early Friday for the main event.. But otherwsie - looking good!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2005
    It depends on where I stay..
    GREAPER wrote:
    On that note Gary, we need to make some arrangments. I just PMed Dkapp (our ride) and he told me he will not be going to Yosemite, and that he posted it in the yosemite thread some time back.

In any case, we are back to bein on foot in SF.

2 midwestern guys hitchin a ride... Yosemite or bust....
    thumb.gif
    If I happen to be close enough to you guys... I'm driving my Murano. And so far I'm alone. So... :-)
    The only potential problem is that I can't ride you back to SF, my home is way south and it's ~6 hours drive even going direct..

I guess I need to start more precise planning, so I can say for sure..
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Anybody else partying at Hilton FW?
    So far I counted 3... :):
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    Maybe me. What time you guys driving back to SF on Sunday? About an 7 hour drive, right?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Shweet!
    wxwax wrote:
    Maybe me.
    That would be great!clap.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    What time you guys driving back to SF on Sunday? About an 7 hour drive, right?
    I think it's about 3 hours drive from SF to Yosemite, but I 'm not 100% sure. Also Sunday traffic can make a whole lot of difference..

And I'm going straight home to LA, some time Sunday morning, which *is* 6 hour drive:-(
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Oh, that's much shorter than I thought.

I'm trying to arrange flying in on Wednesday.

But I'll only do that if I can catch a 1:50pm flight on Sunday, and get home at a reasonable time so that I can work on Monday. So I'm trying to scare up a Sunday ride in time to catch that flight.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh, that's much shorter than I thought.

I'm trying to arrange flying in on Wednesday.

But I'll only do that if I can catch a 1:50pm flight on Sunday, and get home at a reasonable time so that I can work on Monday. So I'm trying to scare up a Sunday ride in time to catch that flight.
    Sid,
    I think Nik drives even faster than I do :yikes From the South Entrance (which is closest to the Wawona) it may take 4 hours, or longer, to get to the SF Airport (Sunday afternoon traffic on I-80/101 sux and the Airport is 15-20 minutes outside The City). You might be able to cut almost an hour off if you leave from the North Entrance, or if you route your return through San Jose. So you may have to leave by 8am to get to SFO by 12:30, or so rolleyes1.gif

I may be judging this too conservatively, but I'm close ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Thanks Steve, that makes sense. I think I have a ride with Ian, maybe leaving as early as 6am, so we should be good.

Now, about that ride up from SF on Friday morning.... naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Steve,
    I think Nik drives even faster than I do :yikes
    I would not bet on that:-). I never drove there directly from SF, only from Sacramento, which is *approximately* same distance as SF. And it's definitely North entrance:-). So your speed record is safe:-)
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2005
    Im going to lose may 12th without ever experiencing it :cry
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Steve, that makes sense. I think I have a ride with Ian, maybe leaving as early as 6am, so we should be good.

Now, about that ride up from SF on Friday morning.... naughty.gif

I am not clear as to who is arriving from where and when, ect, but I can take one person comfortably ( 2nd person would be ok, but cramped a little) on Thursday or Friday. If your in need contact me.

Sam
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    anyone who could host a small kid (just 190 pounds and about 1m84 :lol) from Yosemite to San Francisco? I'm hitching a ride with Ian from SF to Yosemite, but he'll be taking Waxy to SF early in the morning on Sunday, and I would really like to get the Sunday morning shoot as well :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    anyone who could host a small kid (just 190 pounds and about 1m84 :lol) from Yosemite to San Francisco? I'm hitching a ride with Ian from SF to Yosemite, but he'll be taking Waxy to SF early in the morning on Sunday, and I would really like to get the Sunday morning shoot as well :D
    Stick with me mate....im trying for a late ride back sunday. If we cant get one we will thumb it back. I recon we could swindle something.

Remember to bring a big bit of cardboard for a sign....'2 lost idiots...will do private seedy hotel photography'
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Stick with me mate....im trying for a late ride back sunday. If we cant get one we will thumb it back. I recon we could swindle something.

Remember to bring a big bit of cardboard for a sign....'2 lost idiots...will do private seedy hotel photography'
    Note to self:
    don't forget MARKER / CARDBOARD / 50mm F/1.4 for seedy hotel shots

Second note to self: don't forget to be an idiot.. I'm such an idiot that I keep forgetting those things :lol
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Mick...you do know this may be the only opportunity in our lives to be abducted by aliens & make it to a tv show dont you ?
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Mick...you do know this may be the only opportunity in our lives to be abducted by aliens & make it to a tv show dont you ?
    You think I should bring my camera?? rolleyes1.gif

Erm, mate, if we have a choice, I think that you should have the anal probe, I'll take the antenna on my head :lol
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    I could do this, and again if you or Gus could stand to be a little squeezed I can take both of you. I have a Dodge exstened cab truck.

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 21, 2005
    Hey gang!

I added a sticky thread for transportation. If you're flying, take a moment to
    add your Arrival/Departure information.

Maybe we can get groups of people going to the airport at the same time.

Thanks,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I could do this, and again if you or Gus could stand to be a little squeezed I can take both of you. I have a Dodge exstened cab truck.

Sam
    Mate...im in for a return trip thumb.gif Bags the front seat.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate...im in for a return trip thumb.gif Bags the front seat.
    Cool, bags a lapdance.. ne_nau.gif

So erm Sam, you want seedy private hotel shots for this??? rolleyes1.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder