Options

The Moon?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is better than my shot of that event - I could not get Mars in the frame with the moon that largene_nau.gif

Wish I could take credit but it is all in the geography!
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    This is my moon shot, it was pretty far away and even my 200 mm lense couln't fill 1/4 of the frame. But the other day (when I was walking without my camera) the moon looked as if was resting ontop of a building. I could have filled atleast half the frame with a 50mm lense (I'm exaggerating ofcourse, but it looked huge!).

383124025_DRz8V-X3.jpg

The moon, as said before, is a sunlit object. I think you could apply the sunny 16 rule and expose it properly at an EV of 14, and even 15 depending on your location.

It would be very difficult to use an ND Grad filter as noted before because of the stop difference. Your easiest, and probably best looking bet, would be to use two pictures, because of the moon movement and the lenth needed to properly expose the darker background. We should open a separate thread and have everyone post their sexiest 'Moon and scenery' pics.

(Side note, please excuse my spelling today, I feel drained from the week.)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • Options
    WebinWebin Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2008
    Here's an ancient one I took, with a crappy 5 megapixel camera:
    998-042-Picture+013.jpg

I was really into astronomy back then, and I basically stuck my camera lens on the telescope eyepiece and hoped for the best (no live view back then). I think it turned out fairly well considering the lack of sophistication. There's a huge amount of vignetting, but you can't see it on a dark sky background.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Webin wrote:
    ...I basically stuck my camera lens on the telescope ....

Hey, that's cheating, I didn't know telescopes counted. mwink.gif

Here's a 2 piece panorama with a D70 on a 10" Meade. Sure wish I had live view then, focus was a nightmare. Now that I have a D300 I don't have a telescope.

9157722_iE3bk-XL-1.jpg