Options

A hike, fall colors and dramatic weather

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited October 15, 2008 in Journeys
Hi everybody! I haven't posted in a while - I was away traveling in the summer, and since I got back I've had to concentrate on work. I did find some time to go hiking last weekend though, and I was awarded with both great scenery and great weather.

1. A few friends from the local photo club and I decided to visit the area around a small ski resort in the north-western Slovenia. The climb wasn't very long.
S05-Sorica-13.jpg

2. This was actually the second photo I took that day. I love backlit trees. :D
S01-Sorica-02.jpg

3. At the top of the ski slope (1549 meters above sea level) there is a bunker from the period between WWI and WWII.
S08-Sorica-27.jpg

4. The view towards the east and against the morning sun.
S07-Sorica-25.jpg

5. Looking back towards the slope we just climbed. The hill on the left was our next destination.
S10-Sorica-36.jpg

6. The valleys and hills on the other side were so colorful and picturesque we just couldn't stop taking pictures. But there were already dark clouds on the horizon announcing a change in the weather.
S09-Sorica-29.jpg

7. In a matter of minutes the sky turned from perfect blue to dark and ominous. Soon first snow flakes came dancing from the clouds.
S11-Sorica-43.jpg

8. We weren't discouraged though. After climbing the adjacent summit we could see the sea of fog in the distance even better. And that hiker seemed to be posing just for me! :ivar
S20-Sorica-67.jpg

9. Soon the sun broke through the clouds again ...
S18-Sorica-65.jpg

10. ... but it didn't last long! Clouds rolled in again. It's amazing how the scenery changes with light, isn't it?
S19-Sorica-66.jpg

11. Our final destination was another hill with another bunker. It can be seen in the distance in this photo.
S23-Sorica-74.jpg

12. The sun and the clouds put on a great show. There are the Julian Alps in the background.
S24-Sorica-76.jpg

13. A sunlit slope.
S25-Sorica-77.jpg

14. The weather changed a few more times before we made it back to our starting point. Finally, we descended to Lake Bohinj, one of the beautiful alpine lakes in the Julian Alps.
S28-Bohinj-20.jpg

15. I take a photo of these trees and their reflections every year, and in different seasons, too. They are always so photogenic.
S30-Bohinj-22.jpg

It was a great hike. Not too demanding, but the views were magnificent, and the ever changing weather made for an even better photo op.

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Thanks for sharing those, Ana. What beautiful scenery!!!
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    Wow, print this one-

S28-Bohinj-20.jpg

They are all very nice but that one is extra sweet! thumb.gif
  • Options
    skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    They are amazing photos. I am impressed!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    What glorious colors. I, too, love how pending storms in the mountains rapidly change the color and light.

Great journey!

ann
  • Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2008
    You are a fantastic photographer. What a wonderful place to be!
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 9, 2008
    Thanks everybody! :D

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2008
    beautiful. indeed amazing differences with light.
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2008
    Wow, Wow, Wow, amazing photos. I truly enjoyed the view.

Peace always, gail
  • Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2008
    Memories
    Wow.

This really brings back some memories. About 10 years ago, we drove through Slovenia on our way to Croatia from Austria on a trip, and it was one of the more beautiful places I've seen. Thanks for sharing these photos.

d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2008
    Thanks again for all the nice words!

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2008
    Beautiful pictures.iloveyou.gif